Help to get my lurcher to look down and run the beam

Hi all could someone give me some tips on how to get my 12 month old lurcher to look down and run the beam he'll will run it if he see a rabbit move but he won't even look down the beam if he don't see nothing move. He runs the beam when traning for a dummy and ball any tips would be greatful cheers

hows it going pal get the pup onto clamped rabbits and walk it in till they move as long as you stay calm and quiet let the dogs brain do the work after a few trips out it will get the picture dogs learn by association once it learns to associate the beam with something to chase when slipped it will go down the beam till something moves to chase it wont take long mate

• Like 5

Patience, the dog is still only 12 months old. As has been said walk him out to rabbits and slip him on them only when he has seen them. Dont worry the penny will drop. Some dogs just take longer than others. Just be patient, he has many seasons bunny bashing ahead. This will be his first and so dont have great expectations. Dont worry about all that you read on here - it might not all be utterly true lol.

Good luck and enjoy them gusty nights.

One of the best lamp dogs I've seen was apparently a very slow starter: took him several outings to understand what he should do. I've seen others which never ever saw a squatter, could only see them when moving. Some dogs may not have such good eyesight as others (just like people) and some dogs need much longer to learn something.

Hi all could someone give me some tips on how to get my 12 month old lurcher to look down and run the beam he'll will run it if he see a rabbit move but he won't even look down the beam if he don't see nothing move. He runs the beam when traning for a dummy and ball any tips would be greatful cheers

the dog is looking for movement, get him to run to a sound or word ,start using a command to sent him, give him the READY command, when you've spotted a bunny and he hasn't, it will alert him , then use a specific sound to send him when the rabbit 's got up and is sighted,

what you want in time is a dog that will run up and down the beam like a yo yo, on a sound whether theres a rabbit there or not,,

the sound will effect the same response as sight because you have programmed it into the dog through association ,,

the dog is looking for movement, get him to run to a sound or word ,start using a command to sent him, give him the READY command, when you've spotted a bunny and he hasn't, it will alert him , then use a specific sound to send him when the rabbit 's got up and is sighted,

what you want in time is a dog that will run up and down the beam like a yo yo, on a sound whether theres a rabbit there or not,,

the sound will effect the same response as sight because you have programmed it into the dog through association ,,

spot on, when there is a rabbit (hiss) him on, as above he will know that there is a rabbit somewhere in the beam. :thumbs: the only prob with this at 1st is does make them hunt up a bit to start with, but there get know its better for them to use the beam than, find its self. What i do with pups is do the dummy work in the beam , throw the dummy just 5-6ft 1st send him down the beam to get it, but make sure he sees it land 1st. To use the beam on rabbits you got (not) go for moving ones, i know its hard lol, but the dog look to the end of the beam, not just go for rabbits running about which as been said. :thumbs: it will all click in the end :thumbs:

• Like 1

what ive done in the passed and last week with me pup,,,, when you get a rabb, siting tight more so on flatish grass,,, but 1 hand over the lamp to mimamize the beam, only leaving the rabbit in the beam, and give the beam a shake,,,, but wud not worry it will all come at once........ ive all so done this with older or dogs what have become a nacked towards the end of the nite,,, there that more chance of your dog coming from out the dark and whip some up,,,theirs all little corner to cut in the lamping game,,,lol

Edited by robert michem

spot on, when there is a rabbit (hiss) him on, as above he will know that there is a rabbit somewhere in the beam. :thumbs: the only prob with this at 1st is does make them hunt up a bit to start with, but there get know its better for them to use the beam than, find its self. What i do with pups is do the dummy work in the beam , throw the dummy just 5-6ft 1st send him down the beam to get it, but make sure he sees it land 1st. To use the beam on rabbits you got (not) go for moving ones, i know its hard lol, but the dog look to the end of the beam, not just go for rabbits running about which as been said. :thumbs: it will all click in the end :thumbs:

I

Thats pretty much what I was going to say. One of mine would look anywhere but down the lamp. When he did see something down the lamp I would make a sound and after only 3 or 4 times of making the sound he knew the sound meant there was something to catch.

f,,,,,t,ban what apens when they catch owt,,,can not good for pup, or adult dog,,, sounds crazy,,, do not do it that way///

It never happened, they caught every time but the pup only ran twice with assistance. After that she caught on her own, not saying she catches every time but much more often than not. It didn't seem to affect her but to each their own.

im in the same position with my 11 month old pup. if it wasent for these crappy short light nights ide be out every night of the week till he clicked on. i might just have to see what its like tonight.

just praying for a decent bit of cloud cover now!

Try using a brighter lamp. The blitz is one of the brightest and that will make it a bit easier for the dog until it gets used to it. If you dont have one ask around and loan someone's then move back onto your own lamp once the dog is following the beam.

What lamp you using just now?