hi all , ive been wanting a new stalking rifle for quite a while seen as i cant seem too get on with tha Browning X-bolt . the sako intrests me alot as its a smart looking rifle and in wodden stock i think its the best looking on the market , i have perviously owned a Sako 75 and found that too be a very capable rifle for both stalking and as a backup lamping rifle ...Basically im looking for info on the rifle as a capatble stalking tool and in general , plus and pros from current anf former owners , pics would be great too .. thanks for reading guys

ATB Nathgoon

Image110.jpg

Heres two for you

Both Varmint Stainless Laminates.. 1 in .243, 1 in 308

They are ok, the .243 doesnae like 100 gr easily, loves .58's

.58gr are hole on hole

The 100 gr loads need more work........

.308 is hole on hole with virtually everything.

Both are heavy solidly built guns... ,

IMG_8512.jpg

Sako 75 was fantastic rifle, cant buy one new now and is replaced with the Sako 85. Very good rifle, but not worth the extra cash they want for it.

If I were you, do what I personally did and buy a Tikka T3 - (MADE BY SAKO) for a whole lot less money and you still get the same highly accurate quality rifle

in fact the only real difference between the sako 85 and the tikka is that the magazine on the 85 is metal with a two stage release mechanism, and the bolt is a bit different.

If you can justify spending LOADS more on the sako 85 then fair enough, it probably is a slightly better rifle.

I decided to take the Tikka T3 which I am 100% happy with, and spend the extra cash I saved on the glass.

If you do go for a T3, i shoot a 243 T3 Lite and it shoots spot on with Norma 75 grain for fox and sweet with Norma 100gr for deer.

I tried loads of different factory loads and some (like winchester) really dont shoot well. Norma is good quality brass too if you decide to start home loading.

Hope that helps!

hi, i,ve got a sako 85 in 270. s/s barrel,laminated stock, and it puts bullet on bullet at 100yards.(with privvi ammo 10.50 a box)not shot pass that yet.lol. it's better made than the t3 but as said above there's a big price difference. i got the 85 as i,m not planning on changing rifles every two min's. so i spent that bit more. i,ve put about 50 rounds through it and would not swop it for anything else. stav

I had a browning .223 x bolt after having a ruger what a fatal mistake gun is shocking hence the reson it's gone and replaced only put 200 round through it to realise it was half the rifle the ruger was and quarter the rifle the sako is they should come with a warning sign saying expensive imertashion. Sako 85 hunter is the way forward ;-) sorry to all the x bolt fans but I am cancelling my fan membership sorry lol

I had a browning .223 x bolt after having a ruger what a fatal mistake gun is shocking hence the reson it's gone and replaced only put 200 round through it to realise it was half the rifle the ruger was and quarter the rifle the sako is they should come with a warning sign saying expensive imertashion. Sako 85 hunter is the way forward ;-) sorry to all the x bolt fans but I am cancelling my fan membership sorry lol

i agree , the rifle just doesnt seem too work well for me , and from a big brand like browning it is very dissapointing .... thanks for the replys guys , ill look into them more , anymore info/ pics would be crackin , cheers boys

atb nathgoon

Bantheban was the 223 ruger a M77 Hawkeye with a 1:9 twist or 1:12 twist and what what grain did u shoot true it the reason i ask is I was just about 2 by 1 the other day and pulled out a last second but now im having second thoughts can u tell me bit more bouth this gun..

Hi bud it was the m77 mk2 before the hawke eye I think they are the same rifle but with a bit of a spicing up the twist on the ruger was a 1 in 12 twist like wise was the x bolt this is why I couldNt get my head round having problems with the browning barrell twist also changes for barrel length the twist will be different it a 16 inch barrel compared to a 20imch barrel

The best way to find the best and most common twist for any caliber is go to www.chuckhawks.com on the he's got a long list of this and any info you may need for the future

I allways used 50 grain nossler ballistics home loaded or the federal they use the nossler tips they seam to love 1.12 twist I did test the 40 grain but the groups were slitly bigger if fox control I would use the 50 grain the 55 are good but can be sluggish if u have a fox out at the 250 yard area I say sluggish there no means slow but there is a big difference compared to the 50 and again the 40s I would give the 50s a go and then try different ammo manufactures to see what your rifle favoured Good luck bud