How much of a problem do stoats cause you

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't really want to write a long winded response as i have a smoke and beer with my name on it outside.   But for me it's to do with the population densitys and reproduction / expansion rate of cer

Aye you see stoats are one of those borderline animals.   Whilst, you, running a game farm, may (in my eyes) be excused for whacking them, as they present a real threat to you.   If i, when walkin

we have that many stoats here its normal to stumble upon 20 kills a year, while they are happening....

obviously i know stoats eat a lot more than the stuff i catch them killing, but i gotta say i seen about 50 stoat kills in last couple a years an its always bunnys they seem to be catching.....

i like stoats, i can watch them for hours, but i understand they need controlled an have had a few wae terriers an lurchers while mooching, but as i say i think they are cracking wee animals...

ill be watchin this thread to see what you keepers make a them :thumbs:

We have them here and they mostly kill rabbits, if they got INTO a pen of poults you might have a problem, but that is generally your fault.

How would you stop one getting in your pen without killing it then mate?

We have them here and they mostly kill rabbits, if they got INTO a pen of poults you might have a problem, but that is generally your fault.

I know what you are saying mate, but i meant that laying traps about the pen, in tunnels, and ensuring it's well fenced, and if needs be shooting them around the pens, is one thing.

Shooting any stoat on the shoot on sight is another.

We have them, they kill rabbits, don't ever really lose birds to them.

Edited by Ideation

I know what you are saying mate, but i meant that laying traps about the pen, in tunnels, and ensuring it's well fenced, and if needs be shooting them around the pens, is one thing.

I get what you mean now reading your first post I took it to mean that pens should be built to exclude stoats not an easy task as you can imagine :thumbs: I do trap stoats and go out of my way to kill them but we have a number of red listed ground nesting birds on the estate and with them every one counts :thumbs:

Fair enough mate, if you got a good reason and a healthy stoat population thats fine by me.

It's where folk hold onto the old idea that they are on the 'vermin' list and actively hunt/shoot them with no real reason other than something else to shoot.

I get what you mean now reading your first post I took it to mean that pens should be built to exclude stoats not an easy task as you can imagine :thumbs: I do trap stoats and go out of my way to kill them but we have a number of red listed ground nesting birds on the estate and with them every one counts :thumbs:

Fair enough mate, if you got a good reason and a healthy stoat population thats fine by me.

It's where folk hold onto the old idea that they are on the 'vermin' list and actively hunt/shoot them with no real reason other than something else to shoot.

Just wondering what the differnce is to someone shooting a stoat too someone shooting say a pigeon is. A stoat would be a problem for me but a pigeon would not so really i would rather shoot a stoat than a pigeon for finacial reasons...... :thumbs:

Totally agree far too many people hide behind the "vermin list" when the reality is they cannot show good reason for their actions :thumbs:

Just wondering what the differnce is to someone shooting a stoat too someone shooting say a pigeon is. A stoat would be a problem for me but a pigeon would not so really i would rather shoot a stoat than a pigeon for finacial reasons...... :thumbs:

should think the difference is that some use the excuse of vermin to hide their sport rather than duty :thumbs:

should think the difference is that some use the excuse of vermin to hide their sport rather than duty :thumbs:

So you cant shoot unless you are doing it for a job, food or cleaning up vermin..............is shooting to some people not just a sport then..... :hmm:

So you cant shoot unless you are doing it for a job, food or cleaning up vermin..............is shooting to some people not just a sport then..... :hmm:

Yes mate, but shooting an animal like a stoat for sport is wrong imo.

Yes mate, but shooting an animal like a stoat for sport is wrong imo.

I never undersatnd the rule book.............. :icon_eek:

I don't see killing vermin as sport I see it as work nothing more if I didn't have to kill fox,stoat whatever for work then I would have no reason to would I not unless it was for sport and then that isn't what the vermin list was intended for now was it.