Cheetha vs Greyhound . . .. a bit of history.

I'd love to see some photos! On a distant and wealthy side of my family, my mother's great uncle brought 2 cheetahs back to the UK in the 1920s. Apparently they behaved, and were treated just like dogs, and would go out with their owner beside his horse for exercise. After seeing that amazing video of a cheetah catching and retrieving a hare in the desert, I guess keeping cheetahs around like dogs might be possible.

I am saving up for one ,going to match it on the fens, there being no legal reason why I shouldn't. :boogie:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is an interesting article i've just read on another forum about greyhounds vs cheetahs, thought i'd share it.     By Mark Barber FT.com site; Aug 05, 2003   It started with a Cockney one-li

Cheethas are just like dogs Penny, i worked with them in SA for a year and they are hugely different to all the other big cats. We had loads that were unable to be re introduced to the wild and lived alongside us as my dogs do now, if i got in the land rover, one would jump up and ride shotgun. I used to choo thrm off the sofa in exactly the same manor i would the dogs now. They imprint much better than any other big cat i've reared, ultimatly they are all wild animals, but cheethas seem to have a different air to them when reared from cubs, the lion i had, as much as i loved him, i never fully relaxed around him, maybe just due to the sheer size and power as he matured, and i guess the capabilities if he was to attack. The cheethas never seemed to have that threat about them, i once got set upon by a female with cubs and it was suddenly a very real danger, but they lack the force and heart of leopards and lions.

We used to mess about with lures for them on the back of the landy's, but they are very cat like in their arrogance and aloofness, you can't make a cheetha chase something! But when they do and they hit full tilt next to your vehicle, its an immense sight to see. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Cheethas are just like dogs Penny, i worked with them in SA for a year and they are hugely different to all the other big cats. We had loads that were unable to be re introduced to the wild and lived alongside us as my dogs do now, if i got in the land rover, one would jump up and ride shotgun. I used to choo thrm off the sofa in exactly the same manor i would the dogs now. They imprint much better than any other big cat i've reared, ultimatly they are all wild animals, but cheethas seem to have a different air to them when reared from cubs, the lion i had, as much as i loved him, i never fully relaxed around him, maybe just due to the sheer size and power as he matured, and i guess the capabilities if he was to attack. The cheethas never seemed to have that threat about them, i once got set upon by a female with cubs and it was suddenly a very real danger, but they lack the force and heart of leopards and lions.

We used to mess about with lures for them on the back of the landy's, but they are very cat like in their arrogance and aloofness, you can't make a cheetha chase something! But when they do and they hit full tilt next to your vehicle, its an immense sight to see. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Was that hoedspruit?What a airport!

Was that hoedspruit?What a airport!

It certainly was! Well for a time anyway . . . . . . . . that airport has many happy memories, i was last there 10 years ago and i believe it is more than a garden shed now! :toast:

Sounds like great times Hannah.

Sounds like great times Hannah.

Wow! that must have been some experiance Hannah.thumbs.gif

is the training the same as a dog or would you get torn to pieces telling it off?

We didn't really train them as such . . . not in the same manner you would a dog anyway. Generally we had them from a few days old so they were hand reared and just around . . . much like a kitten will get excited and play, then you tell them when it gets too much. They were just the same, but as soon as they hit about 3 months they just can't be arsed! Like most the big cats they are really lazy and just lounged around most the time in the shade, they came to their names f you called them and most were trained to walk on a lead if it was needed. We never really had any need to train them to do anything else, they just mooched about and did cat stuff. They are massively affectionate though and the only big cat which can purr . . . as soon as you put a hand on them they start purring and rubbing round your legs as a domestic moggy would. As i said above, i never experienced any aggression from the tame ones, in the wild cheethas are very low ranking . . .lion, leopard, hyena all take food off them and generally they don't put up a fight. We did have a couple of sticks laying around the place, and if you really needed it you could use it as a barrier, but again the need never really arose.

Amazing creatures, but a little boring once mature! Where as the hand reared lion cubs were never boring and always kept you on your toes! :victory:

"He felt that it was not the sort of environment that we women should be attending."

I feel that her daddy had the right idea. Keep the women at home makin biscuits. :thumbs:

I really like you Dan, but .... :feck:

:laugh: