bone stuck in ferret throat

i went out this moring to feed the stinkers.i noticed straight away one jills mouth wasnt fully closed(looked like a wee vampire lol) i put fresh rabbit in and kept watching,it was clear there was a problem as she kept open/closing her mouth best she could,she then went to try eat but looked to be having trouble,then she kept repeating open/close mouth and move back and foward.i took her out and had a look in her mouth but couldnt see anything.i then decided to phone the vets,after explaing the problem to the vet he agreed it sounded like a bone was stuck,as i was on the phone i went out to check on her and there she was stuffing her face,eating like there was no tomorrow lol.i then let the vet know her mouth seems to be closing ok now and shes eating so it was decided not to take her in but just keep an eye on her and if anymore problems arise take her in.

she seems to be ok now,should i remove the rabbit thats in there and feed her somthing abit easyer to eat to make sure alls ok,or do you think since shes eating now she will be ok?ive seen in old post this is happens a fair bit when feeding rabbit,at the moment am thikning it might be better returning to alpha only?

i couldnt see anything mate,but its clear now.was just out checking and after getting woke up she fancied another meal and is eating no problem.most of you have owned ferrets for a long time,does this happen alot to your ferrets?

Keep her on the rabbit mate, would be a bit unfair on the wee things if because they got a bone stuck one time, they were never allowed real food again. It happens from time to time, but i have a fair few stinkers here and i can say its pretty rare (i.e i aint seen it in mine for the last couple of year).

• Like 1

Pretty rare for me,, one of mine had a wee choke the other week,, christ!! I was like a heedless chicken,, you woulda thought it was ma bairn that was chokin!! hahaha,,,

disnae happen often ,,and rabbits definately the way to go Joe! :thumbs:

• Like 2