foxpro predator caller

Guest baldie

Guest baldie

Ok folks, heres my attempt at a review of the foxpro caller i bought recently from the states.

These callers have been available for a few years now in America, where they are made, and used for calling coyote,s , bobcats, lions and crows.

The beauty of them is that they are programmable with your choice of sounds from foxpro,s vast library of sound, or you can also purchase the pg1a adaptor /recorder box, as i did, to put your own sounds into it via any media source, eg computer, cd , audio etc, and its a simple operation.The caller is digital, so there are no moving parts, and sound quality and volume are excellent.this is the caller.

S4300045.jpg

S4300044.jpg

As you can see, there is a little dial on the back, with 16 settings, these are your calls, you just select the one you want, and turn the dial on the top, on. This is also the volume switch. The call is on a 30 second loop, and keeps repeating , until altered, or switched off.

However, this little gadget is the real important bit, and the missing link, from all other callers, yep, the remote control.

S4300047.jpg

This gadget completely covers all the bases, it alters which call is used, also the volume, has a mute button, and an auxilliary button for a moving decoy which plugs into the foxpro.This enables a fox to be called in with say, a rabbit distress, and if it stops too far out, you could change to lip squeaks etc to bring him in, also you can decrease the volume as he is coming. This is the most important feature of the whole jobby, the ability to control it remotely, it has a range of 700 yards!

The unit appears to be built inside the body of a heavy duty torch, which is dipped in mossy oak cammo, all the dials ,led,s and jack sockets, are the best quality fittings, and the whole shebang is very well made indeed, the company has an enviable reputation for customer service, as you will find out when you ring, they bend over backwards to help.

The unit runs on 4 small batteries[aa i think] and a pp3 in the remote, these give over 20 hours use at full volume, and trust me, you dont use full volume. If you fit quality rechargables in the unit, you can plug your charger directly in the side of the unit, and charge them in situ.

Right, i,ve used this 6 or 7 times, and it has never failed to bring in a fox, or foxes yet, and they come like trains most of the time, the problem is getting them to stop!Great for drawing cubs out of cover on a summers evening, heres a couple of pics. If you want to know more, here ya go. www.gofoxpro.com

2004_0118foxy0004.jpg

S4300101.jpg

S4300103.jpg

This is the 16 sound model, they do a 32 as well, both these have the remote.They also do an 8 sound model without remote. I bought the caller, the recorder, and the custom made bag for it, including shipping, it was around £250 which aint cheap, but it works , and works well. I had one of those callout units from northern ireland, and while it worked when conditions were perfect, it had a hell of a lot of faults, mainly not being loud enough, and very short sound loops, and no remote.

Cant reccomend this highly enough, if you are serious about calling. It also has 4 crow calls on it, which sends them crazy [just like a scene from the birds] however, its illegal to use an electronic call for birds in this country :whistle:

I agree!..we have used the Fox-Pro for two seasons know, and have killed a BUCKET load of gear with it...Bobcat, Coyote, Gray Fox, "Soul-Chickens" (Crows)...Baldie, do you have "WoodPecker-Distress"?...thats what we have killed most of our stuff with...a real magnet for predators....when i have the dogs a little fitter (should be about another two or three weeks...its getting hard with the weather) im going to try calling summat in for the Staghounds...we have just got about 100.000 acres of permission up north on a sheep station...so we are gonna go and have a small camping trip for three or four days and take the Fox-Pro and see what we can see...

Kye..

Guest baldie

Yeah nutter , twas a fine headshot, smack between the eyes with a 55 grain v-max, i stood off it a bit with the camera, so as not to offend any weak stomached amongst us :11:

Soul-chickens :clapper: :11: :11: :11: Yes Kye, i have the woodpecker distress, and the woodpecker/fox, both work great here, also both jackrabbits work well too, just goes to show that foreign sounds work just as well, if not better than our own. I,m always willing to try something different, it gives you an edge.will soon have the .204 back from the engineers, with its moderator on, then for some serious testing :yahoo:

Baldie, if your using the Fox-Pro and the Ruger .204, then you are bascily using the SAME rig we use for Gray and Kitt fox, and Bobcat...myself, i prefer the .22-250, but thats just in case summat "Bigger" comes in!..lol.. ;)

I wish you well with the new gear mate, and i sure do feel sorry for them foxs around your way....the Coyotes here go "Chicken Oriental" when they hear the Sernade!...they come running i can tell you....our usual sound is either of the jack rabbit ones or the wood pecker, then if they hang up we switch to the Rodent distress, or Prairie dog...good hunting mate.

Kye..

Ive not shot any Praire dogs yet mate...FR has them running about all over his area!..LOADS of them...i wouldnt mind a day on them, even if it was just with the .22...its very popualr over here...there was a guy in Montana that shot a praire dog from 1000 yards!!!....he used a .300Win Mag...it took him 38 shots!...must of been the worlds dumbest Praire dog to sit around for that long...i think its some kind of world record now?...

I only use guns when i have to Baldie to be honest...i know you gun lads like it, and i do enjoy a little shooting, but im a dog man...shooting things, imo, is just to easy...only my own preference though...nothing against shooting...ive done quite a bit over here, mainly coz of the novelty of being able to get hold of real good gear...but to be honest, i just find i have lost the edge for it now...as soon as ive shot and killed summat, im always thinking "f**k, i wish i could have got that with the dog!"..lol.

Kye...

same here kye when people say iv shot 50 foxes this season or something siialr I always think wish I could find that many to ground for terrier. just the way we are dog crazy :good: :11:

Guest nutter

baldie im more of a lurcher enthusiast for sorting renard but the uncle has acouple of rilfles and i have shot a bit. can still apprecite a good bit of shooting and we all have our place in the filed marks man and lurcher man a like.

Guest baldie

Couldnt agree more fella,s . Dont get the impression, i,.m just a shooter, my life long love is working dogs, i was a whip for six years for the pennine foxhounds, did a hell of a lot of digging with them, and the associated terriermen, even though i,ve never owned a working terrier of my own. Dogwise, my love is lurchers, i,ve a year old deerhound /greyhound, im gonna enter this autumn, my last bitch , a collie/grey was killed coursing a fox onto the m1 at Barnsley.Left me dogless for 2 year, waiting for him to be bred, then 18 month, to mature, i,m gonna enter him this autumn ;) I,d rather dog summat, than shoot it any day of the week, all depends on your personal circumstances at the time , i suppose, but mine are gonna change shortly ;)

Yeah, dont get me wrong guys...i like a little bit of shooting and i am CRAZY for squirrel shooting...one of the best quarry to hunt with a air rifle or rimmy IMO...I like going out know and then, and i will shoot when we go to places that are FAR to rough for the Staghounds...but give me a good day/night with Lurchers or terriers anyday!...you sometimes hear of guys who have a Lurcher, then maybe get a terrier or something, then when they f**k them up and realise they 'aint no dog man, they feel they need to buy exspensive rifles/shotguns to compansate!..lol...yet they still call themselves dog people..lol...LONG LIVE ALL TRUE DOG MEN AND WOMEN!... :rocker::good:

Kye..

• 2 months later...

lol...casscreek are truly shite! :cry:

We will be launching the Foxpro very soon, but for UK foxing, this CAN NOT be beaten:

http://www.decoying.co.uk/?page=show-item&item=122

There really is no need for an 'arctic fox fart' or ''lil coyote puppy dog' call in this country!!!...because we only have the red fox.

PS...FWIW...I actually try to get out foxing at least 3 nights a week. And have killed the odd few...

:ph34r:

Are you gonna be importing them then Deako? bugger , there goes my advantage :D there cant be many in the country. M y mate has been borrowing mine, to sort a litter out round his pens, he got them all with it, so he,s ordered one of the new fx3,s, and also a couple of the jack in a box decoys [ones for me] Bloody typical, i hadnt had mine two minutes, and the fx3 came out, and that it a serious bit of tackle.

• 4 weeks later...