whippets on hares pre ban

whippets can take hares fox deer fact :thumbs:

well I saw a dog fox, the other day, he looked like a kelpie,x greyhound, he was in supreme condition, and I kid you not about my description of him

I keep my dog well clear of foxes, why pick up silly injuries to your dog, for nothing, A an average whippet against that fellow, there was only one clear winner, and the thin skinned fragile fellow would have certainly come off second best without a doubt, for all the dreamers, out there, a proper dog fox will stand his ground and win against most whippets, ((( there is exceptions to the rule, I am talking about single handed, not doubled up, and as for deer, a good kick, from a roe, or a fallow would see your famous whippets run back to the handler, summer madness has set in once again, get out on the field and prove your statements instead, off printing complete rubbish

well I saw a dog fox, the other day, he looked like a kelpie,x greyhound, he was in supreme condition, and I kid you not about my description of him

I keep my dog well clear of foxes, why pick up silly injuries to your dog, for nothing, A an average whippet against that fellow, there was only one clear winner, and the thin skinned fragile fellow would have certainly come off second best without a doubt, for all the dreamers, out there, a proper dog fox will stand his ground and win against most whippets, ((( there is exceptions to the rule, I am talking about single handed, not doubled up, and as for deer, a good kick, from a roe, or a fallow would see your famous whippets run back to the handler, summer madness has set in once again, get out on the field and prove your statements instead, off printing complete rubbish

so because your whippet wouldnt do it no whippet can.stop talking rubbish sweatheart :kiss:

Growing up in the Seventies in Scotland I had a whippet that took hares singlehanded all the time taking two to three hares with her was not unusual at all. She had a special move she employed more often than not with great success, she would push a hare into a turn and as it turned throw herself sideways across the angle of the turn. She would slide on her side across the ground and snap the hare up unless it was quick enough to jump over her. she was a hell of a dog and lived to be 18 and i still miss her after all this time she was my first dog and a real character.

All the best Terence

I know whippets can take hare and fox, as Ive witnessed it first hand. But my friend who owns whippets would never claim them to be hare or fox dogs like some people seem to do. I think most daytime hares would make a whippet look stupid in all honesty, but most will excel at catching rabbits. I know they used to be whippet coursing clubs pre ban, but it was more of a day out with no intentions of actually catching the hare so for people to claim them to be hare dogs is ridiculous, most whippets will course hares but catching it is a different ball game. just wondered what other peoples opinions were on the subject? Thanks for your replys peeps.

so because your whippet wouldnt do it no whippet can.stop talking rubbish sweatheart :kiss:

I have never kept a pure whippet, the nearest, I owned was a Beddy/whippet first x and that was way back in the late 60s probabaly before you were on this planet,

I have never kept a pure whippet, the nearest, I owned was a Beddy/whippet first x and that was way back in the late 60s probabaly before you were on this planet,

wrong again i was born in 1952 are you ever right about anything sweetheart :kiss:

Non-Ped Whippets can take hares regularly; but that's probably due to the high percentage of Greyhound blood in them. The old Racing Whippets back in the 60's & 70's could take hare, fox and deer, but thats probably because they were smooth coated Lurchers "of Whippet like appearance"; which was the only criterea that most clubs asked for ! Pure bred, KC Whippets today may take the odd hare, but not with any consistency. Even at Whippet Coursing Club meetings, very few hares were cought , and a lot of the "courses" could more properly be described as "chases" ! Don't get me wrong, I love Whippets, and have seen some good ones working.... but they aren't "hare dogs".

Cheers.

• Like 2