alot forget gundogs only do half the job as they flush rabbits for someone to shoot whereas a lurcher flushes them for itself to catch,kill and THEN retrieve :tongue2::thumbs:

You're right mate lurchers are hunting for themselves.

Once you've trained a dog proprerly that does exactly what you want it to when you want it to do it you'll of figured out how to train a dog properly.

Anyone with half a brain can help a dog to find it natural instincts :whistling:

true mate :thumbs: and anyone with half a brain can spell "proprerly" properly :whistling:and 1000s of lurchers will work just as good as a gundog :thumbs:

Hahahahahahahaahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahaahahaahhahahaahahahahahaah......not this old chestnut again.... :doh:

right then lab answer this simple question... how many lurchers have you seen work with guns??? be honest now :thumbs:

None.....reason...because you get the proper dog for the job. Its been discussed to death on here mate but the fact of the matter is a well trained lurcher wont come close to a well trained Lab/Retriever at Gundog work. Am sure there are good lurchers out there quite capable of finding and retrieving game but put it up against a proper gundog and it will fail. Also i'm led to believe that a lurcher is alot harder to train for this kind of work than say a Lab so folk just dont do it..... :thumbs:

you seen none but you have read about it on here :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: lab i like you and think your a sound lad but im sorry mate your miles out here :thumbs: i know a bloke who used to regularly use his deerhound cross for pigeon shooting and that bitch would sit in the hide all day long and not move untill told and would then go and pick every single pigeon up and retrieve them all perfectly :thumbs: the same dog would fetch geese off a massive lake when he shot them :thumbs: round my way all the old boys used to take there lurchers with them when the went shooting :thumbs: one of the best lamping bitches ive seen would sit without any command if she flushed a rabbit while out with her owner and a gun :thumbs: i could go on and on about this as i have had loads to do with both types of dogs but heres another question mate... can you give me one genuine reason why a well bred, well trained lurcher can not do anything a gundog can do???? just one will do mate and im not being funny in anyway :victory:

to be fair i've not seen a lurcher work on a shoot but my mate takes his terrier crosses .He's always on about how good they are compared to the gundogs on the shoot and to be fair for terriers they're pretty good.They're soft mouth will sit and stay by him at the beginning of the day and retrieve lost game with ease .the only problem is as the day goes on the dogs tend to do their own thing and all you can hear is my mate shouting for his dogs :laugh: .

Plus i'm sure there's good all round lurchers who could work properly with a gun, but my lab can catch rabbits .Is she better than a lurcher?, No .Sorry to say people have bread specific breeds to do certain jobs for years and they've got it pretty spot on to be honest .I'm not into lurchers but i can sort of understand all the crossing that goes off even if i find it a little confusing.But these people who cross gundog breeds because they think they're going to get the best of both breeds really do my head in :wallbash:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They turn out shit because they are used early and because sadly they're cheap, plentiful, easy to access and if it don't do the lot before it's a year it's sold on as unspoilt and ready to go!? You c

Never understood why the lurchers seem to be used early..maybe thats why so many turn out shite. I'm a firm believer in a pup being a pup and no serious training until 1 year of age....

Ive got one Lurcher, his training started on day one of him coming home, he was trained not to pull on wool and was cattle broke from a real early age, i trained him some very basic commands very well

None.....reason...because you get the proper dog for the job. Its been discussed to death on here mate but the fact of the matter is a well trained lurcher wont come close to a well trained Lab/Retriever at Gundog work. Am sure there are good lurchers out there quite capable of finding and retrieving game but put it up against a proper gundog and it will fail. Also i'm led to believe that a lurcher is alot harder to train for this kind of work than say a Lab so folk just dont do it..... :thumbs:

you seen none but you have read about it on here :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: lab i like you and think your a sound lad but im sorry mate your miles out here :thumbs: i know a bloke who used to regularly use his deerhound cross for pigeon shooting and that bitch would sit in the hide all day long and not move untill told and would then go and pick every single pigeon up and retrieve them all perfectly :thumbs: the same dog would fetch geese off a massive lake when he shot them :thumbs: round my way all the old boys used to take there lurchers with them when the went shooting :thumbs: one of the best lamping bitches ive seen would sit without any command if she flushed a rabbit while out with her owner and a gun :thumbs: i could go on and on about this as i have had loads to do with both types of dogs but heres another question mate... can you give me one genuine reason why a well bred, well trained lurcher can not do anything a gundog can do???? just one will do mate and im not being funny in anyway :victory: :victory:

Its got f**k all to do with reading it on here..... :no: Lets get this straight here mate....lurcher in a pigeon hide- peace of f*****g piss, a yorkie could retrieve them. Retrieving geese of a lake then thats good....al bet you it could see the geese on the water though...... :hmm:

Al tell you what mate you scour the UK and find one of these gundog whipping lurchers and we'll take it to Danw shoot and pick up for the day and we'll see how it gets on against my dog.......not being big headed but maybe that would clarify the situtation for you..... :thumbs:

Anyway you seem to think that saying a lurcher cant do a gundogs job at a top standard is a slur on the working lurcher, its not!!!! Horses for courses mate.............

Its got f**k all to do with reading it on here..... :no: Lets get this straight here mate....lurcher in a pigeon hide- peace of f*****g piss, a yorkie could retrieve them. Retrieving geese of a lake then thats good....al bet you it could see the geese on the water though...... :hmm:

Al tell you what mate you scour the UK and find one of these gundog whipping lurchers and we'll take it to Danw shoot and pick up for the day and we'll see how it gets on against my dog.......not being big headed but maybe that would clarify the situtation for you..... :thumbs:

Anyway you seem to think that saying a lurcher cant do a gundogs job at a top standard is a slur on the working lurcher, its not!!!! Horses for courses mate.............

you never answered my question mate :whistling: :whistling: :D its not for me to find anyone else's dogs to work on someone else's ground to prove a point to you BUT i would gladly bring my bull cross bitch on a rough shoot and show you how good she is working pheasant :thumbs: ive been going beating since i was 9 years old mate, ive seen hundreds of gundogs working on the peg,in the line and picking up after and not once have i ever stopped and thought "i wish a lurcher was able to do that"!!!! like i said id gladly have a day on a rough shoot with you if it could be arranged on a place were its not formal and if something goes wrong its just laughed at as i couldnt take her on a driven shoot, ive not trained her for that and she would probably ruin more drives in a day than most dogs in a season, especially if something got up in front of her and she herself is not that good on retrieving so no point following you after a drive but thats more my fault than hers but reguards finding them and flushing them out of cover shes top class :thumbs: she even marks the trees they roost in at night, when im out with the air rifle :laugh: (joke!!!) :thumbs: :thumbs:

you never answered my question mate :whistling: :whistling: :D its not for me to find anyone else's dogs to work on someone else's ground to prove a point to you BUT i would gladly bring my bull cross bitch on a rough shoot and show you how good she is working pheasant :thumbs: ive been going beating since i was 9 years old mate, ive seen hundreds of gundogs working on the peg,in the line and picking up after and not once have i ever stopped and thought "i wish a lurcher was able to do that"!!!! like i said id gladly have a day on a rough shoot with you if it could be arranged on a place were its not formal and if something goes wrong its just laughed at as i couldnt take her on a driven shoot, ive not trained her for that and she would probably ruin more drives in a day than most dogs in a season, especially if something got up in front of her and she herself is not that good on retrieving so no point following you after a drive but thats more my fault than hers but reguards finding them and flushing them out of cover shes top class :thumbs: she even marks the trees they roost in at night, when im out with the air rifle :laugh: (joke!!!) :thumbs: :thumbs:

if you and lab want to drop down one weekend in january then I,m up for putting on a days rough shooting only thing I would say is the day is usually much better when the keeper has been plied with chocolate and port :thumbs:

if you and lab want to drop down one weekend in january then I,m up for putting on a days rough shooting only thing I would say is the day is usually much better when the keeper has been plied with chocolate and port :thumbs:

id defo be up for that dan sure it would be a cracking day out!!!! i must pre warn you both tho im a top shot with a 12 bore but id miss a few so the lurcherman dont show you both up :whistling::laugh: :laugh: serious tho id love to do that and appreciate the offer, thank you :thumbs: :thumbs:

Its got f**k all to do with reading it on here..... :no: Lets get this straight here mate....lurcher in a pigeon hide- peace of f*****g piss, a yorkie could retrieve them. Retrieving geese of a lake then thats good....al bet you it could see the geese on the water though......

Al tell you what mate you scour the UK and find one of these gundog whipping lurchers and we'll take it to Danw shoot and pick up for the day and we'll see how it gets on against my dog.......not being big headed but maybe that would clarify the situtation for you.....

you never answered my question mate :whistling: :whistling: :D its not for me to find anyone else's dogs to work on someone else's ground to prove a point to you BUT i would gladly bring my bull cross bitch on a rough shoot and show you how good she is working pheasant :thumbs: ive been going beating since i was 9 years old mate, ive seen hundreds of gundogs working on the peg,in the line and picking up after and not once have i ever stopped and thought "i wish a lurcher was able to do that"!!!! like i said id gladly have a day on a rough shoot with you if it could be arranged on a place were its not formal and if something goes wrong its just laughed at as i couldnt take her on a driven shoot, ive not trained her for that and she would probably ruin more drives in a day than most dogs in a season, especially if something got up in front of her and she herself is not that good on retrieving so no point following you after a drive but thats more my fault than hers but reguards finding them and flushing them out of cover shes top class :thumbs: she even marks the trees they roost in at night, when im out with the air rifle :laugh: (joke!!!) :thumbs: :thu

id defo be up for that dan sure it would be a cracking day out!!!! i must pre warn you both tho im a top shot with a 12 bore but id miss a few so the lurcherman dont show you both up :whistling::laugh: :laugh: serious tho id love to do that and appreciate the offer, thank you

FFS He's bloody John Wayne now with Lassie the wonder bullx............ :laugh:

Dan thats a top offer mate......love to come along and wipe the smile of the scrappys face... :whistling: Pups should be doing well by then, maybe i should bring one of them not to embarress Lurcher1 too much........ :tongue2:

Port and chocolate mate....your too easy!!...... :thumbs:

Its got f**k all to do with reading it on here..... :no: Lets get this straight here mate....lurcher in a pigeon hide- peace of f*****g piss, a yorkie could retrieve them. Retrieving geese of a lake then thats good....al bet you it could see the geese on the water though......

Al tell you what mate you scour the UK and find one of these gundog whipping lurchers and we'll take it to Danw shoot and pick up for the day and we'll see how it gets on against my dog.......not being big headed but maybe that would clarify the situtation for you.....

you never answered my question mate :whistling: :whistling: :D its not for me to find anyone else's dogs to work on someone else's ground to prove a point to you BUT i would gladly bring my bull cross bitch on a rough shoot and show you how good she is working pheasant :thumbs: ive been going beating since i was 9 years old mate, ive seen hundreds of gundogs working on the peg,in the line and picking up after and not once have i ever stopped and thought "i wish a lurcher was able to do that"!!!! like i said id gladly have a day on a rough shoot with you if it could be arranged on a place were its not formal and if something goes wrong its just laughed at as i couldnt take her on a driven shoot, ive not trained her for that and she would probably ruin more drives in a day than most dogs in a season, especially if something got up in front of her and she herself is not that good on retrieving so no point following you after a drive but thats more my fault than hers but reguards finding them and flushing them out of cover shes top class :thumbs: she even marks the trees they roost in at night, when im out with the air rifle :laugh: (joke!!!) :thumbs: :thu

id defo be up for that dan sure it would be a cracking day out!!!! i must pre warn you both tho im a top shot with a 12 bore but id miss a few so the lurcherman dont show you both up :whistling::laugh: :laugh: serious tho id love to do that and appreciate the offer, thank you

Dan thats a top offer mate......love to come along and wipe the smile of the scrappys face... :whistling: Pups should be doing well by then, maybe i should bring one of them not to embarress Lurcher1 too much........ :tongue2:

LOL used to be chocolate,port and 20 B&H but kicked the fags for the now :thumbs:

you never answered my question mate :whistling::D its not for me to find anyone else's dogs to work on someone else's ground to prove a point to you BUT i would gladly bring my bull cross bitch on a rough shoot and show you how good she is working pheasant :thumbs: ive been going beating since i was 9 years old mate, ive seen hundreds of gundogs working on the peg,in the line and picking up after and not once have i ever stopped and thought "i wish a lurcher was able to do that"!!!! like i said id gladly have a day on a rough shoot with you if it could be arranged on a place were its not formal and if something goes wrong its just laughed at as i couldnt take her on a driven shoot, ive not trained her for that and she would probably ruin more drives in a day than most dogs in a season, especially if something got up in front of her and she herself is not that good on retrieving so no point following you after a drive but thats more my fault than hers but reguards finding them and flushing them out of cover shes top class :thumbs: she even marks the trees they roost in at night, when im out with the air rifle :laugh: (joke!!!) :thumbs: :thu

id defo be up for that dan sure it would be a cracking day out!!!! i must pre warn you both tho im a top shot with a 12 bore but id miss a few so the lurcherman dont show you both up :whistling::laugh: serious tho id love to do that and appreciate the offer, thank you

:laugh: quality reply mate :toast: if we can defo sort it then im there, be a brilliant day out as far as im concerned and should be a right laugh either way :thumbs: one thing i would ask is if bird could come aswell as he shoots over his lurcher so be better to prove my point than my bitch :thumbs: hope it does lead to a day out lads, ill bring my camera :laugh::victory:

If you two are going to be shooting aswell do you want me to bring my cockers so you'll atleast have something to shoot at :whistling:

And you'll see first hand how a gundog should be trained :D

im saying nothing :D :D

If you two are going to be shooting aswell do you want me to bring my cockers so you'll atleast have something to shoot at :whistling:

And you'll see first hand how a gundog should be trained :D

Yes bring them please......i love a good laugh on shoot days................ :whistling:

:thumbs:

I used my lurchers for gun work, I wanted them to have as many strings to their bows as possible and prided myself in the fact they were allrounders. Of the lurchers I owned all but one were decent and didn't embarress me and in fact were superior to a lot of gundogs I seen. The other one was a first cross collie/greyhound and was better than 99% of the gundogs I met and have never seen her equal for nose and finding game.

I hunted a large tract of moor and rough ground that was also shot over by a syndicate and on many occasions followed them around discreetly and found what their dogs had missed.

She was the only lurcher I've seen the equivalent and better in most cases than a well bred say lab for instance but I wouldn't doubt there are more out there.

What I would say though at the risk of being lynched, is that the majority of lurchers trained to the standard and capable of fullfilling the task of a gundog (and not just being capable of being controlled in a beating line) will have a strong base line IE collie or in all likliehood a gundog lurcher cross.

I used my lurchers for gun work, I wanted them to have as many strings to their bows as possible and prided myself in the fact they were allrounders. Of the lurchers I owned all but one were decent and didn't embarress me and in fact were superior to a lot of gundogs I seen. The other one was a first cross collie/greyhound and was better than 99% of the gundogs I met and have never seen her equal for nose and finding game.

I hunted a large tract of moor and rough ground that was also shot over by a syndicate and on many occasions followed them around discreetly and found what their dogs had missed.

She was the only lurcher I've seen the equivalent and better in most cases than a well bred say lab for instance but I wouldn't doubt there are more out there.

What I would say though at the risk of being lynched, is that the majority of lurchers trained to the standard and capable of fullfilling the task of a gundog (and not just being capable of being controlled in a beating line) will have a strong base line IE collie or in all likliehood a gundog lurcher cross.

excellent post :notworthy: and i totally agree with the collie cross statement :thumbs:

I read this alot about these top lurchers being better than 99% of the gundogs you have seen, it makes me wonder just how much 'proper' working gundogs you have actually seen and what kind of level you have seen.? Have you still got this gundog whipper or are you training up another 1?

I read this alot about these top lurchers being better than 99% of the gundogs you have seen, it makes me wonder just how much 'proper' working gundogs you have actually seen and what kind of level you have seen.? Have you still got this gundog whipper or are you training up another 1?

Makes me wonder mate to think after selectively breeding my line of cockers for over 20 years I could have just bought in a selection of random mongrels that would perform better than my kenneled stock :whistling: :whistling: