german pointer dog

This is my german shorthair pointer dog, brock. He is 15months old, from sanjon, swifthouse lines. I have been training him as a rough shooting dog and is coming on really well, does all the basics, recalls, drops to shot, drops at a distance, directions, etc. I am hoping to use him also as a companion out foxing, on the rifle. I did plan to use him with a bird, but as I cannot bring myself to buy another hawk that will not happen. He has just started to be worked now and again, without gun just to get him pointing, but its a job to find game, but he will point woodies in the trees.

post-40672-0-65215400-1308678807_thumb.jpg

post-40672-0-87684500-1308678983_thumb.jpg

In the biginning he was coming on well, and then he hit a stage and i was at witts end! I really really regretted buying a hpr, but then he seemed to just come on leaps and bounds, i think its just in the breeds mentality, I wouldnt have any other dog except for say a gwp or maybe a vizsla, I`m sure he will be brilliant after a few seasons and varied work, I got him sitting for say 10minutes while i wash the kennel out and potch about, he is like a friend, i dont give him any tolerance, if i tell him to sit or turn on the whistle he will turn, but he comes to work in the van and sits in the floor well all day.

Also he will point game, but will point say like a bush and i make him sit, and then send him in, he sort of turns into a spaniel then just bumping rabbits out and comes out when it seems empty.

Edited by liftboy1

smart looking dog, and sounds like he's coming on brilliant- I think all dogs go through that teenage stage where you regret buying them, or at least all the spaniels I've known have :icon_redface: I'd love to have the work for a HPR, really jealous!