Deleted

The jill jab isn't classed as best practice anymore, it can put a strain on jills hormonally and sometimes has to be given more than once in a season. Some vets are reluctant to give the jill jab now.

If you bought a couple of jills, waited for them to reach skeletal maturity and then had them spayed it may save you money down the line against repeated jill jabs.

There are possible negative health implications from spaying too, personally I choose to have my ferts given the deslorelin implant every 18 months or so to keep them out of season, it isn't cheap though at around £55 a time but puts less of a strain on the adrenal/hormonal system than spaying or jill-jabs.

If you did breed from the jills you would still need a financial contingency for emergency vet care in case of a jill needing a C-section, this would cost way more than a spay.

Some sort of fund for vet treatment is a damn good idea anyway so if money is really tight give obtaining any animal plenty of thought.

Use of a vasectomised hob is one option as stated previously though as was also said can fail or reverse as I found out to my cost ending up with three simultaneous unplanned litters about 16 years ago and as was already said, a litter of kits eat a LOT of grub.

Edited by AlbionLass

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no its a fair point dotty u got a buyer and a target , i agree locators r great but theres a limit u can dig lol .the average starter can still enjoy the sport without being pressured in to buying exp

just for anyone that thinks keeping a jill in season all year is ok, this is what can happen http://starescue.org.uk/#/willow/4546656754

rescue ferrets can be a cheap option as they come neutered, but, i have had two rescue ferrets and neither will work :icon_eek:

any idea if you can get vasectamised rescue ferrets? might be a good option if I get one next year and keep it as a third.

I asked my grandmother for advice on the matter as she used to have about 4 dobermans and lined them up on a few occasions.

Basically the advice she gave me was to get a male and a female as the male will protect the female and they will get on better.

She also said that if I let them breed next season and manage to sell the kits it will pay for the male to be vasectamised.

If you sold 10x kits at say 5 pound each would they go quickly? I know that a csection is a possibility but how much does this cost? it would be a gamble I guess. It would also be nice to end up with a few more ferrets as I would let the jill keep a kit and then id sell or give the rest away.

what do you think of this solution?

Not all rescues would rehome ferrets to a working home, some would but you have to check with the individual rescue.

or just dont tell them your going to work them :doh::D

doh :doh:

if you do go down the rescue route make sure they are neutered, both of mine are rescue and neither were neutered when I got them. They neuter dogs and cats but I don't think they do with smaller animals, not always anyway. When I went to the rescue centre they had about 30 rabbits and a 100 rats that were dumped in a box at chester station, don't think they'd go to the expense of neutering that lot some how!

am keeping 4 jills to work and 1 hob ,he will get the snip ,wont be using my usual local vet been recomended a vet in glasgow £65 he keeps ferrets himself and has done plenty vas ops :thumbs: price wise it can be a lottery seen them £30-£200 as been said it sometimes dont work :blink: even jill jabs prices £6-£14 and may need 2 per season u need to weigh up what u want to keep numbers wise and work out the cost over a few seasons .u can make a few bob back with a proven vas hob :laugh: dont think breeding to sell kits to fund the ops the way to go tbh

here is what the vet said about jill jabs. he must be joking.

An injection of delvosterone is currently £21.43. This price will have to increase dramatically very soon as the company has just had a change in its datasheet which means that the 20ml bottle will need to be used on the day of opening instead of being able to be used over 28 days as is currently the case. A bottle of Delvosterone will work out at around £85.00 but the cost can be split between doing several ferrets at one time if required. The other alternative is giving a suprelorin implant which works out at £52.73 per ferret and lasts for a longer period. I am going to be out of contact for most of the next couple days as am heading off this afternoon so may not be able to answer any further queries as quickly.

I know several people who have been told the same thing about the price increase for Delvosterone.

I had my hob given the Suprelorin (Deslorelin) implant 5 weeks ago and so far it's been very good, he lost all his hob smell within a week and a half and has calmed down a lot, I personally don't have experience of getting jills implanted with Deslorelin but from current research it looks like the healthiest option long-term if not the cheapest.

Edited by AlbionLass

Jill jabs need to be done before the jill comes into season (usually around March). Jill jabs can cause false pregnancies and pyometra (costly to treat) is another associated risk with this method. Plus if the jill comes back into season the same year she will need another jab.

Using vacectomised hobs also carry the risk of causing pyometra in the jills. If you are thinking of getting a hob vasectomised, best to do it when he is also in season, so to speak. This way the 'tubes' that need to be 'snipped' will be enlarged and easier for the vet to find. Best to leave him for 6-8 weeks before using him on any jills though.....just incase!

Anyway, I'd reckon the cheapest method is to get 2 hobs and have them neutered in the 1st spring after their birth. Really is the least complicated method and so in the long run most likely the cheapest. Plus as a bonus they can be housed together, will be an more even match for each other to wrestle with and they won't stink the place out!

Implants are costing around 90 quid per ferret because there sedating the ferret to insert it, also there's no real ideas of knowing how long its going to last, there's a member on here who's hob was implanted & it lasted barely a year so he had him castrated rather than shelling out loads more money