Deleted

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no its a fair point dotty u got a buyer and a target , i agree locators r great but theres a limit u can dig lol .the average starter can still enjoy the sport without being pressured in to buying exp

just for anyone that thinks keeping a jill in season all year is ok, this is what can happen http://starescue.org.uk/#/willow/4546656754

if ye get 2 jills they dont need spayed mate, they will come into season every year but the jil jab brings them back out as does a snipped hob,

the jill jab here is around 10 a jill an it usually takes 2 to bring thme out of season all year, 1 at start of spring an 1 when she comes back in heat........

hobs are cheap as chips to buy an cost ye around 30/40 to get them snipped, tho if ye spend that then ye will never need the jill

jab, if iv left anything oot, just ask :thumbs:

hm never realised the jabs were so cheap.

When exactly is their season typically?

Also would hob brothers fight?

hob brothers will fight, an a ferret will come into season as the hours of daylight start getting longer can start as early as feb an stay as long as sept depending on where you keep them, tho a bit of false lighting will fool thenm into coming into season if its needed :thumbs:

are kits easy enough to give away? at the moment its looking like I will get a hob and a jill and get a vasectomy on the hob but if the whole kit thing is easy enough to handle I would be tempted to just let them breed.

Ive got 3 hobs and a spayed jill. They dont fight at the minute but when they come into season i have the measure in place to seperate them. They will go back together afterwards.

I wouldn't let them breed. I had it in my head, the big ideas with the glitz and glamour but ive quickly learnt that's it's best to keep it simple and get some seasons under your belt. Think about breeding to improve your stock and not just out of ease or to make money. Stick to the basics

are kits easy enough to give away? at the moment its looking like I will get a hob and a jill and get a vasectomy on the hob but if the whole kit thing is easy enough to handle I would be tempted to just let them breed.

It will cost you more to feed a litter of 10 possibly more kits than it will to spey one female , you do the maths :thumbs:

It will cost you more to feed a litter of 10 possibly more kits than it will to spey one female , you do the maths :thumbs:

lol didnt think of that. I know im a noob but im confused about the actual casteration and the versecatmy thing. Can a casterated hob bring a jill out of season or is it varsectamised hob only that can do this?

Edited by Dameize

lol didnt think of that. I know im a noob but im confused about the actual casteration and the versecatmy thing. Can a casterated hob bring a jill out of season or is it varsectamised hob only that can do this?

A castrate is where they remove the testes, so in theory they remove the sex drive , so normally a castrated male wont attempt to mate , a vasectomy is where they simply cut the tubes so the hobs firing blanks but he will still mate . but there's a risk with a vasectomy not working & one or two on here have experienced this happening :thumbs:

Hello,

I was wondering what the best option would be when choosing the sex of the ferrets I will be getting. Most people are saying to get two jills but I honestly cant afford the 60ish pound each to get them spayed.

Getting two hobs neutered will probably cost a similar ammount I assume. So anyway, what is the cheapest option? if the hobs are brothers then will they fight if unneutred?.

From what ive seen and researched the cheapest option is to get two hob brothers or a jill and get a hob that has had a vasectomy.

Can anyone provide any advice on this.

I wouldnt do either if your stock turns out to be good little grafters you will never be able to get a litter from them and youll be back to square one in the mean time just get the jill jab atb

well, I contacted the local vets and they said 'we charge the same for jills and hobs with the spaying procedure, both are 63.75' this is way more then I expected. I think ill find out the jill jab cost and ask around at other vets.

Also, with the whole price thing do you think a rescue ferret @ 25 pound with neutering etc would be the best option? most people ive spoken to say the reason theyre probably abandoned is due to them biting etc but to be honest I know most will be just unfortunate and will of escaped or will of had bad owners.

Edited by Dameize

wow i just rang up a couple of vets i use ... Seahma/roker doesnt do a Vasectemy.. South hetton tried to tell me almost £200.. i just laughed (they just had us out of £900 for operation on the misses dog) and Durham the woman said as an estimate it would be around £100 but they dont charge for antibiotics on a ferret so it would be less than £100..

those prices cant be right?

wow i just rang up a couple of vets i use ... Seahma/roker doesnt do a Vasectemy.. South hetton tried to tell me almost £200.. i just laughed (they just had us out of £900 for operation on the misses dog) and Durham the woman said as an estimate it would be around £100 but they dont charge for antibiotics on a ferret so it would be less than £100..

those prices cant be right?

Thats what im saying, seems a bit pricey. Some of them are just extortinate prices..

Let me know if you get one cheap mate, I would be keen to know for mine.