wanting a lurcher but not sure

Guest born to run1083

it depend what you want the dog for ,if you just want 2 do rabbits or will you ending up moving onto other stuff ,get a worker 2 worker lurcher bred dog will take rabbit and other stuff if you wanted 2 :thumbs:

Think the advice above is spot on, covers all angles as this pup will be with you a decade and your approach to hunting with experience will probly change so have all angles covered the best you can imo .

Go for something you like the look of and then find a worker to worker bred litter.

People say looks are nothing in the field, very true but I couldn't have a big rough haired half cross collie for example as I just don't like this look at all and I don't think I could bond with the dog or give it my all if I didnt like it.

I like saluki crosses, whippet/greys and any of the previous with deerhound in the mix providing its smooth coated so i went for a sal/whip/grey who's parents were both doing the job day and night ;-)

Gaz

3/4 bull 1\4 bedllington or collie\whip\grey

a 3/4 bull 1/4 bedlington with no whippet or greyhound in it? all that will be good for is turning dog buiscuits into Sh*t!

find someone to show you the ropes. make sure you like going out and working dogs before you get a pup. look at all the crosses and see what you like, its only got to please you, no one else so pick what you fancy.

Go for something you like the look of, at the end of the day that dog is going to be with you for until you are nearly 30! No point having somthing you dont like.

If its is your first dog then try and get a bitch, dogs need a little be more work as they can be more dominant than a bitch. (appreciate this is a sweeping statement but more often than not holds true). Also, if it is your first dog avoid anything with too much collie or too much Bedlington terrier in it they can be hard work and if it is your first dog then you dont need that.

If you can get something that will level out about 24" then you wont be far off the mark. Get over 25" and you lose the edge on rabbits. Yes big dogs will catch rabbits but I'm yet to see a big dog that is exceptional on them. (probably are dogs out there that fit the bill but they are a lot rarer than big dogs that don't).

Whatever the pups make up make, try and make sure that it is coming from stock with great feet. A lurcher can't catch much laid up with knocked up toes. Also a deceny coast will help give some protection against cover and sounds like you might need that.

Ignore pretty much everything you hear that involves someone whose dog is the best at this and that. Just take your time and find people who know what they say. A wise mans says something because he has something to say, a fool says something because he has to say something.

Personally, and this is only my opinion, I'd go for a bitch that is 3/4 greyound and 1/4 bearded collie. Unless you can find someone who is bredding a litter of genuine worker to worker linebred so there is some uniformity in the pups.

What will truly make your dog good is if you put the time and effort into it, dont expect anything from it in first year to 18 months depending on its cross. Yes dogs are run earlier, but this is your first so hedge your bets and take it slowly. If you get a pup this summer, then buy next September it should be ready for some early season green rabbits. Build its confidence and yours at the same time.

Good luck whatever you get.

ide suggest trying somewhere like dogs trust as there overloaded with lurchers. there are other rescue centres as well but i recomend dogs trust as you have to spend some time with the dog before you can take it home (3 walks over a week min). just got my 4 month lurcher pup (irish wolf hound x collie x something else)and hes ace. hope this helps :)