Collie Lurcher Traits

Hi,

I often hear of Collie blooded lurchers being of a sensitive disposition, what do people mean by this and how does it affect the training of them?

I am also interested to hear about peoples experiance of training these type of lurchers, ie; sucsefull methods and problems encountered and ways to over come them.

Thanks for your help

Alex

Hi,

I often hear of Collie blooded lurchers being of a sensitive disposition, what do people mean by this and how does it affect the training of them?

I am also interested to hear about peoples experiance of training these type of lurchers, ie; sucsefull methods and problems encountered and ways to over come them.

Thanks for your help

Alex

means you cant shout at them or knock them around as they sulk afterwards.

How do you disiplin them then?

I have trained spaniels, pointers and lurchers before and at some point i have had to scruff/bollock them, just wandered what people do with really sensitive types?

well mate, most lurchers are of a sensitive nature even bullxgreys, as most running dogs (greyhounds,whippets ...........) is the base line and they to are to begin with. Border collies , are sensitive+robtic nature, so put the 2 together = 1 highly sensitive dog.Ive had 3 straight colliexgreys, and they were really all the (very) sensitive temps. If i had another colliex again, this time it would only be a 1/4 at most, or go lurcher to lurcher with just a bit of collie in the mix. Any lurcher can be hard to train if (over)sensitive, but why make it harder on your self to begin with, and pick a x thats got if bad to begin with :yes:

Hi,

Thanks for your help

Alex

the only lurcher is a collie greyhound.. all the rest are longdogs... brains of the working collie and speed of the coursing greyhound...

• Like 1

It's not just collie greys my saluki grey whippet is the same really. I just need to raise my voice and it's enough for the lurcher to know it's done or is doing wrong. However even if the dog is of sensitive nature in some circumstances a grab hold of the scruff and a clip round the ear must be done i.e. Livestock, dog aggression and so on because these bad traits need to be curbed straight away and a dog shouldn't need told twice regarding this. Well that's just my opinion of the matter.

There must be some people out there who experienced difficulties and overcame them, or even people who have some interesting storys about the training of this canine super mind. I am also perticularly interested in around the house, things like tempement with children, herding instincs and over possesive behavour that you so often hear about with pure collies? Also the entering to quarry, would i be right in saying the more collie in the mix the harder this can be?

Thanks to all the people who have already replied

Alex

Hi,

Thanks for your help

Alex

the only lurcher is a collie greyhound.. all the rest are longdogs... brains of the working collie and speed of the coursing greyhound...

So beddy/greys, beddy/whips, deerhound/greys, bull/greys, etc etc are longdogs :hmm: infact I don,t know why I am replying to that stupid fookin comment :doh:

Edited by KittleRox

:yes:

Hi,

Thanks for your help

Alex

So beddy/greys, beddy/whips, deerhound/greys, bull/greys, etc etc are longdogs :hmm: infact I don,t know why I am replying to that stupid fookin comment :doh:

couldnt agree more

There must be some people out there who experienced difficulties and overcame them, or even people who have some interesting storys about the training of this canine super mind. I am also perticularly interested in around the house, things like tempement with children, herding instincs and over possesive behavour that you so often hear about with pure collies? Also the entering to quarry, would i be right in saying the more collie in the mix the harder this can be?

Thanks to all the people who have already replied

Alex

I take it by your questions you are intending to get a collie bred lurcher ? How much collie do you intend to have in the mix ?