A touchy subject...

Living on a farm has its benefits (for shooting at least :tongue2:), plentiful nuisance quarry being one of them, unfortunately as ever the land owners (Parents) in this case however are rather against the thought of myself shooting live quarry un-aided/supervised (understandable) , granted newly entering shooting.

However this was set to change, under the masterful guidance and tuition of our very own Davyt63 :notworthy: over the past months I have "learnt well the skills I must" through both HFT and live quarry which today where put into play alone.

The need arose unexpectedly after a magpie that had attempted to repeatedly gouge out the eyes of our newly born alpacas, having been driven off repeatedly (to retreat to a nearby tree) it was apparent that the only solution was to dispatch them.

After being asked shoot em (surprised) I jumped at the opportunity considering the situation, after a quick change and check of the zero (AAS410k .22 bought from davyt63 :D ) I proceeded to the field to find the magpie once more grounded near the alpacas.

After carefully moving the bird on (conventional approaching it) it circled and landed once more in the tree adjacent to the alpacas, positioning to ensure the alpacas safety I took a shot at roughly 28 Yards with a Thwack the magpie dropped clean from the tree...headshot... not a flinch.

IMG_0249.jpg

Later that evening after attempting to bait the remainder of the blackbirds to little success, I witnessed a vixen and 3 foxes no more than 25/30 Yards who proceeded to steal the bait (peg next time I think) saved the hassle of cleaning up.. as such I called it a night as darkness ensued.

While cleaning the gun on the yard (flood lit - orange) I saw the white flick of a rabbits tail in the darkness no more than 20 yards from the nearest gate , cleaning abandoned and gun loaded I proceeded to the nearest fence post to the gate... after running at the sound of the footsteps on the gravel the rabbit stopped at around 42 yards.. with just enough light left (just visible at 7x with the moonlight), Thwack .. again another headshot and a rabbit in the bag as well.

IMG_0250.jpg

Not bad for the 5/10 mins shooting of each... shame the bait was ill effective for the desired quarry mind.. however all in all seems based on "we need the rest of the magpies shot tommorow" that chances are that more pictures will soon be about :thumbs:

Edited by Rommels

Good shooting and very well done on the magpie because they are incredibly difficult to get without a shottie just one thing-I take it that when you say "blackbirds" you mean rooks and crows and stuff

Well spotted, had meant to say "remainder of the magpies"... Think my fingers where somewhat ahead of the brain when typing that lot, can't unfortunatly edit it any longer :blink:

Good shooting and very well done on the magpie because they are incredibly difficult to get without a shottie just one thing-I take it that when you say "blackbirds" you mean rooks and crows and stuff

Well spotted, had meant to say "remainder of the magpies"... Think my fingers where somewhat ahead of the brain when typing that lot, can't unfortunatly edit it any longer :blink:

ok didnt think you would but it was one of those :o moments

but any way well done and good shooting hopefuly more will follow for you