I have always found "standard" army boots to be bloody terrible. Cold, kill my feet and not very waterproof at all. On top of that the bloody things "squeak". My mate is using a pair of Pro-boots (?) for stalking, the poor chap is half deaf but I can hear these boots squeaking two fields over.

I can not say I have tried the more expensive German army boots, only because for the money I can get a pair of fair quality brand new walking boots from TK Max.

At the moment I have three pairs of Hunters (not matter what people say IMHO if it's muddy, wellies are great but obviously not for digging or stalking). I have a pair of Redsetter which if I am to be honest were expensive, not water proof, and a waste of money. A pair of light weight walking boots for the summer (great) and a pair of heavy thick leather walking boots for the winter which I use with a set of Yeti Gaiters (great).

I do have the obligatory American gore-tex army boots (Matterhorn I think?), black with red internals. Good boots but not really for hunting, so I use them on muddy clays days.

That's about my experience of boots ;)

John

Had miendles for a good few years but the style changed and in my eyes so did the fitting and the quality so i pumped for a pair of lowas three seasons a go and they have just starting leaking now they wouldnof lasted longer but I never dub them just wear them and wear them out

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

ex-army boots can be found in most army surplus stores for about £20 and imo you wont get better :thumbs: if they are good enough for the army they are plenty good enough for hunting :victory:

The boots the Army get issued are crap mate. That's why we all go out and spend £130-£140 of our own money because we wear then everyday and crap boots hurt like f**k. The only good boots the army have issued are the jungle boots we got for Belize( note not the magnum ones, they're the worst) and also the cold weather boots for afghan are good for the cold, terrible for warmer weather as they ain't breathable due to them being goretex lined.

The boots out of the army surplus stores make me cringe when I see them. Made of compressed cardboard with a leather coating, They really are so bad. U wont ever beat a pair of lows boots or altbergs. Trust me, everybody in this camp owns a pair and nobody wears the issued ones. adidas gsg9 boots are comfy aswell but not as durable.

Pay the money if you are going to be using them all the time and they will repay you back with dry feet, warm feet and no blisters. Any boot that does that is worth £130 anyday.

Don't but meindl boots, they are hard to break in. If you want to break in a pair of military boots here's how it's done by us- soak the boots in a bath with hot water for an hour or so, keep topping up with warn water. After an hour put the boots on while still in the bath as move your feet about and bend the leather every way possible. Soak again and repeat again. Fill the boots with newspaper and let fully dry away from radiators. Repeat the whole process again if need be until they are comfy.

Hope this help yous lads. All the best. Lee

yeah spot on mate just bought a pair of altberg peacekeepers well pleased with em think i'll use a gorilla bucket on the yard though missus would fookin kill me in the bath !!! :laugh: :laugh:

ex-army boots can be found in most army surplus stores for about £20 and imo you wont get better :thumbs: if they are good enough for the army they are plenty good enough for hunting :victory:

The boots the Army get issued are crap mate. That's why we all go out and spend £130-£140 of our own money because we wear then everyday and crap boots hurt like f**k. The only good boots the army have issued are the jungle boots we got for Belize( note not the magnum ones, they're the worst) and also the cold weather boots for afghan are good for the cold, terrible for warmer weather as they ain't breathable due to them being goretex lined.

The boots out of the army surplus stores make me cringe when I see them. Made of compressed cardboard with a leather coating, They really are so bad. U wont ever beat a pair of lows boots or altbergs. Trust me, everybody in this camp owns a pair and nobody wears the issued ones. adidas gsg9 boots are comfy aswell but not as durable.

Pay the money if you are going to be using them all the time and they will repay you back with dry feet, warm feet and no blisters. Any boot that does that is worth £130 anyday.

Don't but meindl boots, they are hard to break in. If you want to break in a pair of military boots here's how it's done by us- soak the boots in a bath with hot water for an hour or so, keep topping up with warn water. After an hour put the boots on while still in the bath as move your feet about and bend the leather every way possible. Soak again and repeat again. Fill the boots with newspaper and let fully dry away from radiators. Repeat the whole process again if need be until they are comfy.

well guess i cant argue with that if you are truly in the army?? all i can say is ive done 100s of miles in mine and they never let me down, still as comfy as the day i brought em :thumbs:

You must have feet of stone. I wore issue boots for the first 4 weeks of basic, i permantly had bruised feet from them. Then we got issued the cold weather ones. They was never off my feet. As soon as poss i invested in some lowa Mtn Grtx. Like slippers! That said, i wear muck boots for hunting. Also like slippers. But the tred does run low quickly.

well guess i cant argue with that if you are truly in the army?? all i can say is ive done 100s of miles in mine and they never let me down, still as comfy as the day i brought em :thumbs:

You must have feet of stone. I wore issue boots for the first 4 weeks of basic, i permantly had bruised feet from them. Then we got issued the cold weather ones. They was never off my feet. As soon as poss i invested in some lowa Mtn Grtx. Like slippers! That said, i wear muck boots for hunting. Also like slippers. But the tred does run low quickly.

guess im as bad, i live in my boots, dont notice the cold, im used to it although ive found after 4 or 5 miles they feel a bit heavy but i will adapt!

like has been said altberg are by far the best but they'll cost you.

take care of them and they'll last you a lifetime.

at the side of meindls and the like they are loads cheaper i had my peacekeepers p1 custom fit for no extra chrge 130 notes

boots such as the meindl dovre extreme £225 ! the altbergs have already had some honk out on the land and they are the bizz

Edited by dirty twister