FEW HOURS OUT

Hello boys, sat bored today so packed the gun in the car and set off for a quiet solo session, left the house about 11am and made my way to the new permission, i was going with the intent of just parking my self near some warrens and under some sitty trees, Arrived and the farmers doing some maintenance to the hedges and lawns as you first turn onto the mile long drive way, i get out and have a 10 minute chat, all is well, he tried to give me money for "slugs" again, and again i declined, told him that him letting me take care of his vermin was payment enough :thumbs: he wont take no for an answer, saying its the least he can do, in the end he throws it through my car window and tells me to go and have a crack at the bunnies :icon_redface:

Anyway, in my last post i got a pigeon with my first shot within 2 minutes of arriving, so i decide to try the same spot, sure enough i spot 2 woodies as i creep up the thick hedge line, drop to prone with bipod down, thwack, one shot one kill, within 2 minutes AGAIN :D

Heres a picture of the woody and the position i took my shot

asd.jpg

asdf.jpg

Paced at 38 yards on retrieve :thumbs:

i shot a couple of decoys out and sit behind the hedge for 20 minutes, a woody drops in and i take my shot.........miss! clean over the top :censored:

Bored of sitting im on my way up the freshly cut fields, stalking the hedge line i spot my first rabbit, estimated at 30 yards, sitting 6ft out into the field, i go for a standing shot this time, steady myself down and take the shot.....miss, and the rabbits hopping back into the safety of the hedge :censored:

100 yards up and theres another rabbit sat out, i keep low and tight to the hedge and get within 30/35 yards kneeling shot this time........miss :censored: Lets just say it would be an understatement to say i needed practice on my standing and kneeling shots, from now on im gunna be lazy and shoot prone from the bipod :icon_redface:

Im at the gate to the top field and theres 2 bunnies sat out at 25 yards, down i get and focus the parallax, steady my breathing and thwack one bunny down, the second hops towards the hedge line but stops a few foot short to "investigate" as they tend to do 99% of the time, this is enough for me to adjust my position and take the shot, thwack bunny 2 down :thumbs:

Photos of both bunnys

asb.jpg

asn.jpg

asx.jpg

Ive made my way to the "pylon field" and i approach the entrance, keeping low and slow, sure enough theres one sat out, 40 yards, prone position, aim ......thwack (but not a good thwack) ive hit him but not cleanly enough, the bolt goes back and i try to get a "mercy" shot off but hes gone down the hole :thumbdown: What a horrible feeling when then happens, i check the hole to see if hes within reach, but no joy :no: Bollocks, i know it happens to everyone but its still a shitty feeling, nothing i can do now so i decide to double check my zeros and mildots, every things spot on, just one of those things i guess :hmm:

I have a fag and make my way to the "88 yarder" track :thumbs: this is where i got the long shot in my last post, i tuck up in the same place, its starting to rain but 40 minutes later i have a bunny in my sights, 40 yards, wary after the last 40 yard shot that diddnt produce i clean kill, i take ages to take the shot, just to make double sure, send my pellet and it hits home, producing a perfect kill shot :thumbs:

asop.jpg

Thats three bunnys and a woody in the bag, the rains getting heavy so i make my way to the shelter of the valley and woods, where i manage two shots at a couple of young rooks and another woody 35, 20 and 25 yards

aso.jpg

asdfg.jpg

asz.jpg

I round up my bag and leave them on a fallen tree stump and have a last walk through the woods, Now the farmer assures me he sees squirrels here all the time, i have seen a few but theyve always bested me :doh: 20 minutes into my walk and i see one, 30 yards out into the very bottom field, i stalk abit closer to gain a decent patch of ground with grass short enough so the bipod lifts the muzzle above it...........only to go sliding down the effing bank on my arse through sheep shite and god knows what else!!!!! causing uproar as pheasents, rooks, crows, hares and most importantly my squizzer take off in all directions :icon_redface::icon_redface: What a bell end!! haha Id been that focused on bagging my first squizzer here that i hadnt noticed the rooks/hares etc etc :doh: The rain is spanking it down now so i go and pick up my kills, only to be greeted with a trail of woody feathers leading off into a thick patch of nettles, That might have something to do with the dozen or so feral cats that live on the farm, theyve only made off with one of my woodies and the rest is still there to be gutted and taken home. heres some photos of my final tally, minus my stolen woody lol

ase.jpg

and one of the gun and myself

as.jpg

asl.jpg

Shay, sorry i couldnt make it today bud, Ill definatly come down for a shoot with you at the end of the month :thumbs:

Hope you enjoy the read and photos boys

Atb peter

Edited by millsy44
  • Like 2

hi ya peter pal

yeah good chatting with you today bud and no stings from the wasps either lol and no worries buddy 3 hrs is a long trip bud so at the end of the month bud your more than welcome to pop over matey and cracking pictures bud and write up to pal

and yeah i agree with daz to be honest i would have give up to lol oh yeah i did it p--sed it down tonight so i had to phone kev(baghdadnights) on here to tell him not to bother has it was hail stones :icon_eek::wallbash::censored:

so a bit gutted about that to buddy but a nice red sky tonight though so we should have a nice day tomorrow fingers crossed buddy

top shoot peter bud

and speak to ya soon matey

all the best

shay

what a great write up and pics pete, well done mate :notworthy:

spa incoming for the dedication, i'm off out with the mutt now and it looks pretty crappy, gonna do a bit of crow bashing in the copse up the valley. did you manage some more comp pictures at all bud?

cheers, wurz

hi ya peter pal

yeah good chatting with you today bud and no stings from the wasps either lol and no worries buddy 3 hrs is a long trip bud so at the end of the month bud your more than welcome to pop over matey and cracking pictures bud and write up to pal

and yeah i agree with daz to be honest i would have give up to lol oh yeah i did it p--sed it down tonight so i had to phone kev(baghdadnights) on here to tell him not to bother has it was hail stones :icon_eek::wallbash::censored:

so a bit gutted about that to buddy but a nice red sky tonight though so we should have a nice day tomorrow fingers crossed buddy

top shoot peter bud

and speak to ya soon matey

all the best

shay

Cheers shay, this weathers mad isnt it, was gorgeous when i set off after i finished on the phone to you, looking forward to having a shoot with you at the end of the month matey :thumbs:

Atb peter

top read that millsy buddy and fair play for not letting the weather

stop you.a mixed bag for your troubles :thumbs:

Cheers mate, it never used to bother me shooting in the rain when i had the S10, but with the Ranger i could cry!! :cry: haha when i took the action out of the stock when i got home i could of filled a pint glass with the water that came out!!! lol

Atb peter

excellent write up and shooting peter,hats off to you staying out in that rain ,we've had some heavy down pours as well.

Cheers wedge, weathers mad, we get all 4 seasons in one day, i spent a good hour in a hollowed out oak tree when the rain was at its worst, hopefully we get a good few weeks of decent weather next month, when all those young pigeons, crows and rooks etc etc are finding their wings :gunsmilie:

Atb peter

what a great write up and pics pete, well done mate :notworthy:

spa incoming for the dedication, i'm off out with the mutt now and it looks pretty crappy, gonna do a bit of crow bashing in the copse up the valley. did you manage some more comp pictures at all bud?

cheers, wurz

Cheers wurz :thumbs: i did manage some more comp photos mate, but im not sure of the rules now :icon_redface: as to how many i can post etc etc, its all gone abit complicated lol

Atb peter

you need to take a leaf out of millsy's book and get that R10 out! fatpantz! :tongue2:

you need to take a leaf out of millsy's book and get that R10 out! fatpantz! :tongue2:

Cheers davy :thumbs: It is worrying taking your rifles out in heavy as fook rain like that yesterday, no worries if you give them a quality clean and oil as soon as your back home lol

Atb peter