hooding a harris

Williams86

what are people's thought's on hooding a harris. Is it a good thing?

Yes, Vets, strange dogs, folk with tiny dogs,farms with pet rabbits,chickens, ducks, kittens, the list goes on. I once met the local hunt head on ,on a narrow track !.

I don't know any other way! I Hooded a male Harris a few years back when I kept one back for my lad to fly and Hooded all the Goshawks and everything else P/R straight out of the aviary. I think the only birds I never Hooded was Imprint Spars! everything else was made to the Hood :thumbs:.

Remember mentioning this on a old forum a good few years ago and had the reply! "Why would you want to Hood a Gos" :blink:. suppose if you're taking up Imprints this may be the case but each to their own :whistling:.

Jasp

Omelette imprint fhh only has to be in a room containing a hood and she turns into an upside down handbag creature and wants to kill lol I have made other hh's I lived with to the hood and in some cases its been a relief and some it just didnt work for. My Mrt has a hood for the hunting season only and that works well for me too. It requires patience and calmness and some people just dont have that 'thing' naturally! I'd say have someone show you exactly how to do it till you're confident then go for it.. you just dont know one day it might be really useful and if not nice one but at least you've got a new skill hopefully!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There's plenty that don't expecially with a bird such as a Harris, its a shame as a Hood is beneficial in alot of ways. any bird that comes out of these aviaries gets a Hood put on its head! it helps in many ways, not flown a Gos yet that hasn't been hooded through its manning and trainning and there after.

weather the new owner continues to Hood the bird is down to them, it helps keep any stress to a bird to a minimal expecially when being handled fitting equipment or whatever :thumbs: