advice for my first dog

hello mates

im 14 and want 2 get a lurcher ive been looking at a litter but think they will be a bit heavey

i am looking at a fast,sharp,cleaver and easy to train and under 24 inches

im only planning on doing abit of rabbiting but i want a dog with a bit of heart as well ;)

i will be looking for soon a dog on the lines of

*deerhound/greyhound x collie/greyhound

collie greyhound

3/4 grey 1/4 collie

3/8 5/8 collie greyhound

bedlington greyhound x deerhound greyhound

so what would you guys start with

i dont want no saluki,kelpie,hound,wheaton or any other stupid crosses

:bye:

hello mates

im 14 and want 2 get a lurcher ive been looking at a litter but think they will be a bit heavey

im only planning on doing abit of rabbiting but i want a dog with a bit of heart as well ;)

collie greyhound

3/4 grey 1/4 collie

3/8 5/8 collie greyhound

^^^^^^

Or a beddy/whippet or beddy/grey :thumbs:

hello mates

collie greyhound

3/4 grey 1/4 collie

3/8 5/8 collie greyhound

you need to talk to the iceman he will help you about this and point you in the right direction :alcoholic:

BEDDY X GREY I WOULD GO FOR CAN MAKE GOOD ALL ROUNDERS AND BE GOOD DOG FOR IT BEING YOUR 1ST ONE :thumbs:

iceman any chance of service of your beddy x grey :tongue2:

don't have one and didn't think you could get a service off a bitch

oh yours is a bitch any chance of a pup when you mate her :tongue2:

Wheaten and Saluki - Stupid Crosses? Lol.

Can't say as I agree there fella.

Fast, Sharp, Clever, Easy to Train and under 24". You don't seem to have considered whippet?

Collie/Grey x Whippet would fit your bill. And personally a dash of stupid saluki would improve the mix further.

Glad to see that you are thinking about what sort of cross will suit you. Instead of just getting the first puppy that comes along and then realsing all lurchers are not the same. The best thing you can do is pick a dog that you like. This may sound stupid but I'm constantly surprised by the numbers of people that get the dog they think they need. The dog will probably be with you for the next dozen years, that is a ling time to have a dog that you dont really like. Try and pick a puppy that is going to suit your personality. For example I dont like overly sycophantic dogs and overly pushy dogs. Also completely irrationally I wouldn't have a black or white dog, no reason and certainly no reflection on ability but I just cant get excited about them. I was once offered a nearly pure black bitch that was fantastically bred but I couldnt bring myself to take it on.

If this is your first dog then I would avoid a first cross collie greyhound, they tend to be a bit full on (especially the dogs) for a first dog. Though that said there are some fantastic first cross beardie lurchers that seem to have an easy disposition.

You are right to look, IMHO< for a dog under 24", though some of the crosses you list have a tendancy to throw quite tall. Also bear in mind that just because the sire and dam are one height it doesn't mean the pups will throw to that height. A recent litter between a 22.5" and a 25" resulted in one pup that has reached 27". The trouble is that the percentage quouted are just a statement of the percentage of DNA material from each parent. It doesn't tell you anything about which genes are inherited - that is random. IE there is nothing to say that a 1/4 greyhound may include a lot of the height genetics.

One way round this is to go for well known matings, or litters from linebred dogs that are producing more even litters.

Whatever pup you pick, the most important factor of all, far more than the breeding of the dog is you and the time you put in during the first 18 months.

All the best with your pup no matter how it is bred.

What breeding is the litter you've looked at? Is it just the breeding that makes you think they'll be heavy. Pups under 12 weeks should look quite solid if they've been reared right, with the exception of Saluki types who favour the adult shape a lot earlier than other types of sight hound or lurcher.

Guest born to run1083

Being honest mate most crosses make acceptable rabbit dogs, it's going to be more about the time you put into the dog you get which will have the biggest difference in the outcome of how good a dog you get in the end.