Can't charge my gun up

Hi, just wondering if any has had a similiar prolem? I've got a Titian MPT (.177), a fairly old gun, bought it brand about 20 years ago! Anyway I bought a new divers bottle last week, (as mine failed the test). Tried to charge my gun yesterday and the gauge would only show 1500 PSI, so took the bottle back today to see how much presure was in there... 3200 PSI! So why won't it go into the gun? Air comes out the cylinder fine. I presume a service may be in order? Could it just be a degraded seal perhaps? Can't be anything else can it?

Stupid question but have you tried opening the valve on the bottle to fully open? Sometimes the inlet valves can get a bit sticky and require a bit more pressure to open. But it sounds like your old faithful could do with a service. Why not get the great John Bowkett to do it and give it a full blueprint!

Stupid question but have you tried opening the valve on the bottle to fully open? ..........Why not get the great John Bowkett to do it and give it a full blueprint!

I've just tried again...got about 3 full turns out the tap on the bottle then the tap goes solid, end of travel I presume? Any idea how much John Bowkett would charge for a blueprint and service?

Andy the fittings wont have changed! The fittings are standard diving fittings you screw the charging line onto. The way they test the bottle is to put a blank cap on the end of the charging line and crack the valve open to maximum! Then the gauge reads the pressure in the bottle. When you put the adaptor on the charging line the gauge on the bottle is actually reading the pressure in the line and the vessel being filled, when you close the valve the gauge then reads the pressure in the item being charged. We have had this demonstrated by the guy who owns our local cylinder testing and filling shop!

Like I've said many times before, I know feck all about PCPs but I do know a thing or two about compressed gasses.

Things do change :thumbs:

The bottle and bit with the gauge on (regulater?) came with the bottle (both second hand from the dive shop) and i'm just using my old hose to connect the bottle to my gun, so don't think it can be my hose, as there's no blockage in it and no oneway valves (I can blow through either end of the hose). But I don't know anything about compressed gases/hoses/fittings!!

How long are you waiting to see if the pressure risesy bottle is a very slow fill so it doesn't bang high pressure in at once might be just leaving for a few minutes it might slowly creep up. Obviously you have to stay watching so as not too over pressure, worth a try

Atb

Kev

For a Superten blueprint he charges about £120, he is in the west midlands, contact details can be obtained if you ask nicely, lol!

Oh and his work carries a lifetime guarantee, he does do titans as well, he has a facebook page with contact details started by his fans!

Edited by secretagentmole

How long are you waiting to see if the pressure risesy bottle is a very slow fill so it doesn't bang high pressure in at once might be just leaving for a few minutes it might slowly creep up. Obviously you have to stay watching so as not too over pressure, worth a try

Atb

Kev

Cheers for the advice Kev, just left bottle and gun connected for about 3mins, but the needle didn't move at all.

For a Superten blueprint he charges about £120, he is in the west midlands, contact details can be obtained if you ask nicely, lol!

Oh and his work carries a lifetime guarantee, he does do titans as well, he has a facebook page with contact details started by his fans!

Cheers Mole, looks like I'm gonna have to do a few hours overtime! It's a cracking little gun and I haven't spent a penny on it since owning it! I'll pm ya for JB's details when I get a bit of spare cash.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, all sorted now, filled the cylinder no problem from another bottle. :hmm: So back to the dive shop I went! Turned out to be a sticky gauge :icon_eek: Luckily no damage seems to of been done. Went out tonight and shot about 25 shots to check the zero and let some pressure out, then went for a little mooch, managed 5 rabbits and a crow in under 2 hours :gunsmilie: My old faithful is back :toast: I will probably still have a JB service and blueprint at some point, although it still puts pellet on pellet at 25 yards. I loves my MPT :notworthy::notworthy: There may be a .22 hw80 for sale soon!