Dummy retrieving

My pup retrieves balls/toys etc well yet when it comes to a rabbit skin dummy he wants to stash it and will not retrieve it at all. Any advice or help appreciated!

Back to balls and toys and further reinforcement!!! It'll click. atb

Mine's 14 months old and has just decided to stop retrieving which is annoying :wallbash: she chase after a ball/dummy what ever, bring it back once maybe then drop it short or leave it where she caught it. So I will be interested to see what this thread comes up with. :thumbs:

Mine's 14 months old and has just decided to stop retrieving which is annoying :wallbash: she chase after a ball/dummy what ever, bring it back once maybe then drop it short or leave it where she caught it. So I will be interested to see what this thread comes up with. :thumbs:

Could either be boredom or that she has wised up to what it was. My dog used to be great fpr playing 'fetch', loved a tennis ball, dummy, frisbee, whatever. Now i'm lucky if i get two or three retrieves if he is in the mood, before he just dumps it and walks off. Sometimes i chuck the ball and he just looks at me with a 'so. . . . . . . . you want what?' look and then goes to try and find a bunny. :doh:

when i start off with a pup i use 2 of everything, i dont take the dummy or ball out of the pups mouth i find that will only encourage it to keep away at that age,,most importantly you need to build frustration in the pup for the object

,frustration builds desire in any dog ,bounce it throw it around keeping it away from the pup, just until you feel the pup is focused on you, not the object, get plenty of eye contact ,,throw one , the dog will run, hopefully he'll will desire it enough to hold on to it ,call him to get attention,, then throw the other one around, let him come back to you, with object or not it dont matter,,what your renforcing is, he gets to chase only through you by way of eye contact, sitting , downing , whatever ,

the dog will start bringing back the first object if he has no fear of it been snatched, eventually making him retrieve the first for you to throw the second,,in time when he has it sussed get rid of second

best of luck, with it ,it wont happen overnight,,

• Like 2

when i start off with a pup i use 2 of everything, i dont take the dummy or ball out of the pups mouth i find that will only encourage it to keep away at that age,,most importantly you need to build frustration in the pup for the object

,frustration builds desire in any dog ,bounce it throw it around keeping it away from the pup, just until you feel the pup is focused on you, not the object, get plenty of eye contact ,,throw one , the dog will run, hopefully he'll will desire it enough to hold on to it ,call him to get attention,, then throw the other one around, let him come back to you, with object or not it dont matter,,what your renforcing is, he gets to chase only through you by way of eye contact, sitting , downing , whatever ,

the dog will start bringing back the first object if he has no fear of it been snatched, eventually making him retrieve the first for you to throw the second,,in time when he has it sussed get rid of second

That's another way of looking at it, that I wouldn't have thought of!!! Sound advice that makes sense :thumbs:

let the frustration builds up for a couple of days if needs be,,keep him on the lead when out , you dont want any other distractions apart from you and the object,,

make sure he's empty when taking out , desire rides on the back of hunger, and when you do feed him , get eye contact focus for about 5 seconds at the start build it up to 10 or more before you put the bowl down,,

it will start clicking with him that when he wants something , you are the channel for it, ,it will develop over time if you pay enough attention, you will see him giving eye contact when he wants something,,all the best

Thanks, sounds like some top advice to me, it's worth mentioning he's kennelled with his litter sister as well. Could this affect things?

i tell ya what bud im not a big fan of bringing on 2 pups at the same time, it will take more organising and more time , try feeding the pup on its own anyway, but thats a bigger mountain now,

2 pups together tend to be each others crutch, if the easiest route to burn off his energy is through play with another pup, you might find yourself on the sidelines a bit,

you have the summer to pull things round , see how ya go , pm me if your stuck,,

hi mate, they are kennelled together but get walked separate in the morning and night and i let them have a play together a few times through the day. Should i not let them out together at all and walk them separate ll of the time whilst im trying to do a bit of basic training? The bitch is a friends who lost his license so cant go out to his kennels at his dads so im looking after it until the season. It's worth mentioning its a lot further behind in its basic training than my dog. cheers Jake p.s. your inbox is full

Quality advice :thumbs:

when i start off with a pup i use 2 of everything, i dont take the dummy or ball out of the pups mouth i find that will only encourage it to keep away at that age,,most importantly you need to build frustration in the pup for the object,frustration builds desire in any dog ,bounce it throw it around keeping it away from the pup, just until you feel the pup is focused on you, not the object, get plenty of eye contact ,,throw one , the dog will run, hopefully he'll will desire it enough to hold on to it ,call him to get attention,, then throw the other one around, let him come back to you, with object or not it dont matter,,what your renforcing is, he gets to chase only through you by way of eye contact, sitting , downing , whatever , the dog will start bringing back the first object if he has no fear of it been snatched, eventually making him retrieve the first for you to throw the second,,in time when he has it sussed get rid of secondbest of luck, with it ,it wont happen overnight,,

I used this peice of advice, my pup wouldent retreve a dummy, but would retreve a squeaky pheasant, so I doubled them up, threw the phezzer a couple of times so she got the idea, then alternated them in the way suggested above during a fetch session in the yard :thumbs:

Now retreves the 1lb dummy when its thrown without a flinch.

Wanted to get rid of the fezzer anyway, squeaker was driving me mad :laugh:

She is a lot softer mouthed on the dummy aswel.

Next step, stiching a pair of pelts to the dummy.

.atb. .ste.

when i start off with a pup i use 2 of everything, i dont take the dummy or ball out of the pups mouth i find that will only encourage it to keep away at that age,,most importantly you need to build frustration in the pup for the object,frustration builds desire in any dog ,bounce it throw it around keeping it away from the pup, just until you feel the pup is focused on you, not the object, get plenty of eye contact ,,throw one , the dog will run, hopefully he'll will desire it enough to hold on to it ,call him to get attention,, then throw the other one around, let him come back to you, with object or not it dont matter,,what your renforcing is, he gets to chase only through you by way of eye contact, sitting , downing , whatever , the dog will start bringing back the first object if he has no fear of it been snatched, eventually making him retrieve the first for you to throw the second,,in time when he has it sussed get rid of secondbest of luck, with it ,it wont happen overnight,,

I used this peice of advice, my pup wouldent retreve a dummy, but would retreve a squeaky pheasant, so I doubled them up, threw the phezzer a couple of times so she got the idea, then alternated them in the way suggested above during a fetch session in the yard :thumbs:

Now retreves the 1lb dummy when its thrown without a flinch.

Wanted to get rid of the fezzer anyway, squeaker was driving me mad :laugh:

She is a lot softer mouthed on the dummy aswel.

Next step, stiching a pair of pelts to the dummy.

.atb. .ste.

If you want your dog to be soft mouthed then never use a squeaky toy......the dog will associate a squeak everytime it bites to hard on the toy and will take this over to game by biting hard till it makes a noise.... :thumbdown:

:thumbs: