what age

Guest ryan161

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reasons why NOT to run a lurcher on a treadmill:   Running in a straight line on the same surface all the time doesn't build agility, suppleness, nor does it toughen the feet and pads like regular e

Skycat     No, but it builds wind, needed for stamina.     Pish. Building muscle requires resistance, unless the dog was running on a constant incline running on a treadmill will not build "bo

Someone turn this thread around now and ask those who talk some shite on here the relevant questions as how muscle is developed from using a mill,then ask why ALL the top coursing greyhound men in Ir

I know hundreds of folk that use mills for conditioning a wide variety of differing dog breeds . . . . . . for a wide variety of disciplines, the dogs are all in peak condition and excel at their chosen disciplines. IMO a lot of the negativity towards mills is simply ignorance. If used correctly, along side free running, swimming and any other fitness exercise, they are an excellent tool. :thumbs:

• Like 1

I know hundreds of folk that use mills for conditioning a wide variety of differing dog breeds . . . . . . for a wide variety of disciplines, the dogs are all in peak condition and excel at their chosen disciplines. IMO a lot of the negativity towards mills is simply ignorance. If used correctly, along side free running, swimming and any other fitness exercise, they are an excellent tool. :thumbs:

i dont think anybody would disagree with that. but he wanted to know what age to start his pup on it and imo no pup should need to go on a treadmill for fittness. its so easy to over do things with a growing pup fare enough get them used to the tread but they dont/shouldnt need it for fittness. atb

• Like 1

i dont know about treadmills been boring for dogs because every dog i have put on 1 or seen on 1 couldnt wait to get on it............. :hmm:

and i think ull find that pretty much every person who slaggs people off for using treadmills have never used 1 or seen 1 used........FACT

By the way everyone I have a small slat mill for sale £200, is that ok to high jack the thread? :laugh:

Edited by leegreen

Reasons why NOT to run a lurcher on a treadmill:

Running in a straight line on the same surface all the time doesn't build agility, suppleness, nor does it toughen the feet and pads like regular exercise on roads and varied terrain would.

Running on a treadmill might build big muscles which are OK if you just want your dog to look like a body builder, but bulging muscles can actually be a disadvantage when the dog is trying to catch an animal which has adapted to run and survive without having those bulging muscles. Imagine a 100 metre sprint runner trying to run cross country for miles: they'd be knackered in a very short space of time.

Running on a treadmill also does nothing for the dog's state of mind. Exercise should be all about stimulating the mental side of the dog as well as its body. Varied walks in different places at different speeds is what pups need. Playing with a flirt pole, or dummy or ball: all those things will build up quick reactions, quick brain, agility, toughness and stamina, far better than trotting or cantering along on a tread mill, which has to be the most boring thing for a dog imaginable. Humans might want to run on the same spot for miles, but I wouldn't inflict it on a dog in a million years.

The only place for a tread mill IMO, is if the weather is so bad outside and the dog recovering from an injury, that 20 minutes gentle trotting on a mill would at least get the blood moving round the body in very regulated environment.

couldn't have said it better meself man fair play :thumbs:

training on treed mill,,,,,well i couldnt honestly say

heard some storys,,,,,some good and bad

but free running on beach,,,,or runinng your dog uphill, theres no contest in summer months,,( winter time no need if ur hunting???),,,,,,,,if u dont have time to go out with dogs,,,,,,then dont own one,,,,:thumbs: simples,,,,,,,,,,,,get out there and bond,,,,,,stop dreaming :thumbs:

running on treadmill doesnt get feet good or wrists or tendons,,,,if theirs not varatiy,,,in their upbringing,,,,,,,,twist and turns,,,,and stoppers,,,they dont get that on a stupid treadmill

Skycat

Running in a straight line on the same surface all the time doesn't build agility

No, but it builds wind, needed for stamina.

Running on a treadmill might build big muscles which are OK if you just want your dog to look like a body builder,

Pish. Building muscle requires resistance, unless the dog was running on a constant incline running on a treadmill will not build "body builder" looking muscles, more so lean longer muscle. Any body building fanatic will tell you when building large muscle groups running for long periods of time is not on the agenda. It can have the adverse effect to building muscle.

Running on a treadmill also does nothing for the dog's state of mind. Exercise should be all about stimulating the mental side of the dog as well as its body.

Is that what the dogs told you in the survey you gave them ? For starters, the treadmill should always be used in conjunction with other forms of exercise and not exclusively. This goes without questioning. To knock the treadmill as a tool for conditioning shows a lack of conditioning knowledge in my opinion. As for the mill not stimulating a dog, have you never seen the eagerness a dog can and will run a mill with his master stood in front of him ?? the dogs always looks stimulated from were im stood !

Varied walks in different places at different speeds is what pups need. Playing with a flirt pole, or dummy or ball: all those things will build up quick reactions, quick brain, agility, toughness and stamina.

Stating the obvious, quite rightly so. Your missing the point, the origonal poster is, to my knowledge asking when to start a pup on a mill. Throwing a mature adult dog on a mill can spook the dog and ruin any future plans to include a mill in your conditioning programme. Starting a dog out young, very slowly and surely he will learn to like, even love the fact he will get some mill work. Standing a pup on a mill to accustom him or her is vital, long before you even switch it on or if you run a free spinning mill, walking the pup on it.

far better than trotting or cantering along on a tread mill, which has to be the most boring thing for a dog imaginable. Humans might want to run on the same spot for miles, but I wouldn't inflict it on a dog in a million years.

Are you for real ?? your lack of experience and knowledge is now more apparent on conditioning the more i read and the more you type! "Inflict a mill on a dog" ! my oh my.

The only place for a tread mill IMO, is if the weather is so bad outside and the dog recovering from an injury, that 20 minutes gentle trotting on a mill would at least get the blood moving round the body in very regulated environment.

Your place for the uneducated, unexperienced drivel you write is back to the drawing board. Ok, you have been around lurchers and their types for many years. As i explained in another post i made in the health section, i had a grand piano in my living room for 37 years, it dont make me a pianist!

Sorry to piss on your post. But, from my experience i cannot believe someone giving advice on clearly something they know very little about, to add insult to injury is the clowns that agree and thanked you for such an informative post! Proves alot about the mentality on this forum. Under 16 !!!

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Gunner123
  • Like 5

alryt lads what is the youngest age you would start runing pup on a treadmill

thanks ryan161

Dont run a pup on a mill , get him accustomed to it and run him on it when physically mature. Walk him slowly for many months as a youngster and he will learn to love it when it becomes part of his routine in time to come.

Simple really, why all the negativity on mills , i will tell you why, lack of basic conditioning knowledge is what!

Good luck with your pup and congrats to you for taking them time and interest asking as much as you can to do right by your canine buddie. Sounds he will have a good start in life with someone interested in his future well being.

Hat's off to you.

• Like 1

Reasons why NOT to run a lurcher on a treadmill:

Running in a straight line on the same surface all the time doesn't build agility, suppleness, nor does it toughen the feet and pads like regular exercise on roads and varied terrain would.

Running on a treadmill might build big muscles which are OK if you just want your dog to look like a body builder, but bulging muscles can actually be a disadvantage when the dog is trying to catch an animal which has adapted to run and survive without having those bulging muscles. Imagine a 100 metre sprint runner trying to run cross country for miles: they'd be knackered in a very short space of time.

Running on a treadmill also does nothing for the dog's state of mind. Exercise should be all about stimulating the mental side of the dog as well as its body. Varied walks in different places at different speeds is what pups need. Playing with a flirt pole, or dummy or ball: all those things will build up quick reactions, quick brain, agility, toughness and stamina, far better than trotting or cantering along on a tread mill, which has to be the most boring thing for a dog imaginable. Humans might want to run on the same spot for miles, but I wouldn't inflict it on a dog in a million years.

My O' My i have just been informed, you wrote a book **falls off chair and bumps head**

• Like 2

NEVER READ AS MUCH PISH,LOL

TREADMILLS LURCHERS HA HA ,WALK/FREERUN.

I RACED WHIPS/GREWS.

SWIM ONCE A WK NEVER TRDS.

BURN THE FECKER OUT.

HA/HA TRED,S ARE FOR DIFFERENT BREED,S,THE COALEMINER BRIGADE.:thumbs:

Edited by 3 Turns
Guest ryan161

alryt lads what is the youngest age you would start runing pup on a treadmill

thanks ryan161

Dont run a pup on a mill , get him accustomed to it and run him on it when physically mature. Walk him slowly for many months as a youngster and he will learn to love it when it becomes part of his routine in time to come.

Simple really, why all the negativity on mills , i will tell you why, lack of basic conditioning knowledge is what!

Good luck with your pup and congrats to you for taking them time and interest asking as much as you can to do right by your canine buddie. Sounds he will have a good start in life with someone interested in his future well being.

Hat's off to you.

thanks mate from what ur saying you no what ur talking about and ur a sound fella need more like you on here :thumbs:

all i wanted to no was when to start a pup on a mill cause i didnt want to start him to young but i wanted to get him on it so he nose what he is doing when i start him proberley dont get me rong il do like you side and start him of easy just walking peas and the dog has had the best start in life i walk him every day thanks chum for ur repley :thumbs: