just starting have no clue any info welcome

hi lads i was just wondering how i would get into greyhounds and how things work because im intrested in them and all the racing but i have no clue at all so any help would be very grafully aprecated and if anyone know of a place where i can go in liverpool to do with greyhounds and help out and learn about them throw us a pm thanks fellas

atomo :thumbs:

alright mate, to get into them just goto a flapping track or a proper stadium and get talking to people i did and ended up with someones problem dog full of worms and fleas cost me nothing, that has become (in the short time ive had him and for his age) a real beauty running well and keen as mustard. theres plenty of people on here that will probably help you out as i say above am just into them meself so stil ent got a clue what im doing at the track but if you have lurchers treat them like one its working ok for me lol you will find though they get tired much much quicker and can't go for as long but are proper speed demons and i see why they are the main make up of a lurcher,

what ever you get wether its a dog like mine for free or you pay 25k for one the dog can only do so much on its own its the time and effort you put in that will get the results your after, i am not a big believer in the bloodlines as best to best dont bother me and before any one has a go all im saying was linford christies mam and dad sprinters?? NO, was muhammed ali's folks boxers? NO agreed it might help in getting the shit out the bloodlines however im a firm believer you can take a crap dog and make it into an average one and an average one into a good one not a world beater but good enough, so therefore would never spend a lot on a dog anyway.

once you get your dog are you going to school it yourself or put it through a trainer? i think it has to go to a trainer if your wanting to run it on the proper stadiums but i cant justify why you have to put it in there when i can do it all myself for free??? i think thats how it works?? see am new to this meself lol

if your just going to run the flapping tracks as i do at the minute until the season starts again, then just let it be a puppy when its about 10-12 month start to find a track and take the dog up there get it used to the noise of other dogs barking and going mental if you can get hold of a trap feed it in there make it become an enjoyable place for the dog to be, if you have a lure then once the dog is used to going into the trap pull the lure past and open the trap let the dog out itl soon get used to coming out i did it with my dog as he wasnt getting out fast enough or enjoying going into it ,he's still not brill at going in but knows what he's doing when it opens, it only takes days not like some i heard of saying its weeks but then i have a lot of time to put into the dog hence why i think im getting loads out of him, biggest thing is to let the dog be a pup and just bring it up as you would a lurcher.

when its time to goto the track i think most i have spoke to take them to watch at about 10months onwards i put mine in the trap for the first time at 14 1/2month most just hand slip them still at that age off the back straight as the lure comes past then they are praying itl run around the first bend loads of them dont and ive been told its nothing to worry about as they are still just big pups basically lol the people at tracks will help you out no end the ones at my local track are proper friendly folks and make it an enjoyable experiance to go there you can ask anything on advice about your dog and they will tell you loads and loads its an info overload lol but really straight forward.

i got my dog at 14month he was a wreck honest to god thats no bull or trying to big meself up, took the old owners an hour an a half to get him back the day i had him dumped on me at bicester schooling track down in oxfordshire (id been out hunting with a mate for a few days and thought we'd give the dogs a final burn out before coming back up north) they ran him a sprint went to get him he coward away and ran all round the track trying to get away,

they caught him as i say about an hour an a half later and he got a proper good hiding then just flung in the van which ripped a big tear on the inside of his back leg, i wasnt happy at all so said something to them next thing i got a greyhound in the car coming home wtf lol i have spent 3 months on him feeding him good quality food worming and de fleaing him, had him micro chipped (cause you have to to race) training him so in 3 month he is at the point where he dont want to try and kill other dogs anymore, cats, rabbits birds maybe the odd horse! yes but my lurchers are the same (not with horses), will walk by my side off the lead wherever i go, recalls to the point now that after a race he will have a go at the lure for a bit il shout and give a little whistle his head comes up and i say howay son he'l come to the inside edge of the track away from the other dogs and owners and wait for me to get there for a pat on the head and bit of fuss now to me that is the best feeling in the world considering he would not do anything when i first got him late february, you put that together with the fact he has had 4 races, the sprints he got 4th, 3rd and 1st and friday gone ran a 440m and came first by 2-3 lengths even nearly falling on the first bend i dont care if he comes last as long as his times are improving cause i know he isnt the best dog in the world but with the knowlegde i have from training and entering saluki x lurchers i wont go to far wrong. just treat your dog when you get it with a bit of respect, give it love and it really will want to please you no end wether its on or off the track good luck with your search and i hope this reply (i know its bloody long lol) helps you out a little bit if theres out you think i might be able to help you with just pm me itl take a while for me to reply (about a fortnight) but i will eventually cheers :victory:

hi lads i was just wondering how i would get into greyhounds and how things work because im intrested in them and all the racing but i have no clue at all so any help would be very grafully aprecated and if anyone know of a place where i can go in liverpool to do with greyhounds and help out and learn about them throw us a pm thanks fellas

atomo :thumbs:

What is it that you want to do?

Do you want to be an owner trainer which will mean running on a flapping track [unless you get an ngrc licence]?

Or do you want to own greyhounds and have them in with a professional trainer and see them run on an ngrc track?

Or would you want to get a job working for a pro trainer as a kennel hand?.

if your in liverpool get along to ellsmere port flapping track sure theres plenty there will help you .go on greyhound dats loads of dogs on there from freebies to megabucks superstars . great sport but lots more lows than highs beleive me and i won more than my share but in the end all the lows got me down .