• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whilst I admire your sentiment Ethyl. The time for sentiment has passed, what is needed is cold hard facts. People come on a forum and ask advice and it always seems to be after the fact. Would it not

Well would you not be better giving the lad your idea of what to do rather than telling everyone else theyre worng perhaps? Easy to sit there and be a smart arse the lads asked for advice not criticis

I like a dog that's not good with strangers Coz then people will think twice before stealing the dog and plus i like to think my dog will protect and help me if need be and I would have no problem muz

Posted Images

Well would you not be better giving the lad your idea of what to do rather than telling everyone else theyre worng perhaps? Easy to sit there and be a smart arse the lads asked for advice not criticism he wants help to try and fix his dogs problem

• Like 3

i wouldnt hesitate i would of gone home got the gun and shot him once he has tasted the blood he will always do it mate sorry this may seem harsh but thats the only qure

regards the killing you could be right, its a shame really because you have let him see stock , as you said with control. But where alot of people go wrong, is with lambs, because most dogs that have been broke to (sheep) prob aint seen many lambs. Lambs can feck your dog up regards stock breaking, they look differnt, move differnt, and will really excite a young dog. :wallbash: . If next time you have a pup, try took keep it on the lead all the while, and try to get to sse as many lambs as poss. Once it knows these are a no go as well as sheep, you are 1/2 there :thumbs: .I take my dogs every day see sheep, even though there are steady with them. But i dont trust any dog 100% with sheep+lambs, domesticed or not they would kill if they had the chance :yes:

P1010106-1.jpg

• Like 1

Shoot it! Then it will never chase kill a sheep again. Passing it on to a pet home will not stop it killing sheep.

TC

Think we should be able to shoot stupid arrogant wankers too? Dont shoot the dog ffs its not even 10 months old yet could have been the other dog that weighed in first if you didnt see the whole thing unfold try a shockl collar and a hard line back to basics on every little thing.Dont let the dog away with anything and make sure it knows your the boss no arguements no debating it.

First things first. I have never spoken to you, and as some one who has to keep their dog muzzeled around strangers. I do not think that you are in a position to call people wankers.

Lets get one thing straight. It is not the dogs fault. He stated in his post that the dog ran and played with the sheep on a previous occasion, and he still left the dog off the lead around sheep? I does not matter which dog killed the lamb, the fact is it died and the dog was party to that death. That has set a precidence in that dogs mind that sheep are "Fair Game". It may be able to be corrected by some of the above methods, it may not.

Fact of the matter is, that dog can never be trusted around sheep again.

TC

not having ago mate but after it starting around sheep and you got it back should kept it on lead. probably got over excited and the other dog been a bad influence.

Well would you not be better giving the lad your idea of what to do rather than telling everyone else theyre worng perhaps? Easy to sit there and be a smart arse the lads asked for advice not criticism he wants help to try and fix his dogs problem

He has been told how to remedy the problem he caused with the dog. A one way trip to the vets. Lets hope that his next dog will not end up in the same situation. If he cannot accept that it is he and he alone that has caused the problem then he should think carefully if working dogs are for him.

TC

Shoot it! Then it will never chase kill a sheep again. Passing it on to a pet home will not stop it killing sheep.

TC

Think we should be able to shoot stupid arrogant wankers too? Dont shoot the dog ffs its not even 10 months old yet could have been the other dog that weighed in first if you didnt see the whole thing unfold try a shockl collar and a hard line back to basics on every little thing.Dont let the dog away with anything and make sure it knows your the boss no arguements no debating it.

First things first. I have never spoken to you, and as some one who has to keep their dog muzzeled around strangers. I do not think that you are in a position to call people wankers.

Lets get one thing straight. It is not the dogs fault. He stated in his post that the dog ran and played with the sheep on a previous occasion, and he still left the dog off the lead around sheep? I does not matter which dog killed the lamb, the fact is it died and the dog was party to that death. That has set a precidence in that dogs mind that sheep are "Fair Game". It may be able to be corrected by some of the above methods, it may not.

Fact of the matter is, that dog can never be trusted around sheep again.

TC

:thumbs:

He has been told how to remedy the problem he caused with the dog. A one way trip to the vets. Lets hope that his next dog will not end up in the same situation. If he cannot accept that it is he and he alone that has caused the problem then he should think carefully if working dogs are for him.

TC

Well maybe hes willing to try and put enough effort and time in to fix the solution rather than saying f**k it and having done with it either by shooting it or pts at a vets.Facts are the dogs young enough to re learn and yes your right probs was his fault for letting the dog get to that level of excitement in the first place but listen to yourself really here.You never made any mistakes with your dog? So what if i have to watch not muzzle watch my dog round strange people at least i know he will never be stolen or wander off with a stranger.I muzzle my dog cos of dog is where i live all off lead bouncing up barking and going mad and he doesnt like it.At least unlike most im trying to prevent a bad fight occuring or someone else too stupid to care enough to be careful with their dogs from getting hurt.Some people on here need to take a good hard look you jump down everyones throat for every little thing he asked for sensible advice not a f*****g mob ffs.

went out for a walk today with my 10 month old pup. hes been walked through sheep since fiteen weeks and hs been fine. jumped in shep field and he started running around with the sheep jus playing, got him back smacked him, and he never botherd them for about five mins, and he started chasing again just playing and he ran over the brow with my mates terrier, i ran over and he had killed a decent sized lamb. i hit him propperly once got it off and he was still trying to dodge out of the way of me to get it. what do you recomend i should do now.

i think alot of people got hangovers today.they seem two slag 1 another off..i will be honest you sould off kept it on the lead 2nd time..but whats done is done..just pay the farmer.... if that was me soon as he did i would of hammerd him all the way back 2 the car.but him back in the kennal 4 a couble of days and when your feeding him still let him no your angry after about 4 days walk him threw the stock again and still shout if he just look at them,,dont shoot it most good dogs do it bud..hes just getting two the age where it wonts two chase things..when his working on stuff he will soon no whats right and wrong..when he gets praises for what hes done.every time your by sheep just shout at him he will soon learn..ive had lurchers thats killed sheep when they were pups..but they have been 110% with sheep and lambs later on,, good luck with him,,woof woof.
  • Like 1

I like a dog that's not good with strangers Coz then people will think twice before stealing the dog and plus i like to think my dog will protect and help me if need be and I would have no problem muzzling my dog around strangers better than killing it.

• Like 2

went out for a walk today with my 10 month old pup. hes been walked through sheep since fiteen weeks and hs been fine. jumped in shep field and he started running around with the sheep jus playing, got him back smacked him, and he never botherd them for about five mins, and he started chasing again just playing and he ran over the brow with my mates terrier, i ran over and he had killed a decent sized lamb. i hit him propperly once got it off and he was still trying to dodge out of the way of me to get it. what do you recomend i should do now.

take him out on his own bud way no terrier.try him on a long bit of rope see how u get

stock breaking to lambs is far different to breaking to sheep!! The dog is young,it will learn,striping it after the event wont help,put it on a long rope and take it out again,the moment it pulls towards the lambs,then tell it thats the wrong thing to do.However you see fit.But beating it after the event wont change a thing. atb shushy :thumbs:

i wouldnt hesitate i would of gone home got the gun and shot him once he has tasted the blood he will always do it mate sorry this may seem harsh but thats the only qure

regards the killing you could be right, its a shame really because you have let him see stock , as you said with control. But where alot of people go wrong, is with lambs, because most dogs that have been broke to (sheep) prob aint seen many lambs. Lambs can feck your dog up regards stock breaking, they look differnt, move differnt, and will really excite a young dog. :wallbash: . If next time you have a pup, try took keep it on the lead all the while, and try to get to sse as many lambs as poss. Once it knows these are a no go as well as sheep, you are 1/2 there :thumbs: .I take my dogs every day see sheep, even though there are steady with them. But i dont trust any dog 100% with sheep+lambs, domesticed or not they would kill if they had the chance :yes:

P1010106-1.jpg

Sensible post from bird,when you think a young dog is stock broken then start again when lambs are about,until a dog as been amongst running sheep and lambs and as ignored them,then don't trust it,young dogs are easily influenced by the actions of another dog and will pick up good and bad habits from them.Id take the dog back through a training regime around sheep and lambs,on its own,id also train the terrier as well,dont let them out of your control until they totally ignore stock,you may have to be hard on them in the training process but it would be a better option than culling or passing the problem on.A lot of us have had problems at one time or another with dogs and stock so don't panic,learn from your mistake and move on.