Ferreting on saturday

Going out on a local permission on Saturday with the ferrets just to show face and give the ferrets a run out. We haven't been out for weeks, hopefully the rain will keep away and we should get a few fully grown ones. We might have a wonder with the Riffles/shotguns as well if there's a few about.

Will let you know how we do or don't get on, got a feeling there might be alot of waiting around!!!

Going out on a local permission on Saturday with the ferrets just to show face and give the ferrets a run out. We haven't been out for weeks, hopefully the rain will keep away and we should get a few fully grown ones. We might have a wonder with the Riffles/shotguns as well if there's a few about.

Will let you know how we do or don't get on, got a feeling there might be alot of waiting around!!!

dont forget your spade mate :boogie:

atb Dave

good luck pal ill be going out myself in a couple of weeks i dont really want to like as theres to many babys around but a farmer approached me the other day and said he wants rid of all the rabbits young or old on his land i tryed to explain that its not the season for going yet but he wants rid of them now so i said ill have a look up when hes got all his lambs out of the way suppose it will give me chance to see what my new ferrets work like.

deffo will need your spade, and a drop of whiskey whilst gutting if there is young inside em :L

Won't be in a rush, just giving the ferrets a run and keeping the farmer happy, will pop a few off with the rimmy whilst waiting for ferrets if get any deep kills or soke up the local surroundings. Just fancy a look out. We did quite a bit of summer ferreting last year and enjoyed it, you just have to expect a few more kills down the holes and expect to miss

a few holes. We will be doing sets in open fields with the longnets and purse nets so shouldn't miss many (if theybolt).

As for pregnant ones already had dozens this year and not had problem gutting them, the butcher wasn't complaining and for every one we got the farmer was chuffed to bits because that could of been 6 in another few weeks.

"""""good luck pal ill be going out myself in a couple of weeks i dont really want to like as theres to many babys around but a farmer approached me the other day and said he wants rid of all the rabbits young or old on his land i tryed to explain that its not the season for going yet but he wants rid of them now so i said ill have a look up when hes got all his lambs out of the way suppose it will give me chance

to see what my new ferrets work like.""""

Sometimes you just have to do a bit in the summer, otherwise farmers will let other people on. We have got

quite a bit of permission now so don't have to worry about spoiling sport for next season. Some permissions we will let

the small ones go and other permissions we will knock

them on the head.

I enjoy ferreting in the summer, alot of people disagree with it, but I suppose it's everyone to there own. I couldn't

wait until September, I love getting stung by nettles,

digging and cutting back overgrowth, better then being

stuck at home gardening !!

• 2 weeks later...

I got a phone call theres a rabbit in the bosses walled garden it should only be a five minute job ,but when i get there i know hes going to ask me to ferret the rest of the burrows round the back field so im hanging off and trying to get the rabbit with cage traps

I went out with my two jills on saturday after spotting a fair bit of crop dammage along an section of hedgerow on one of my permission,called the farmer to tell him that I was going up,he had noticed this crop damage and was pleased I was going to ferret it,took seven nice rabbits a couple of cockers slipped through net,dug only one in a stop end,both jills were haveing a great time they deffently enjoed there afteroon out and so did I.Not the season for it but I had to show the farmer that I was doing the job for him,I told him how many that I had from the hedgerow and he was very pleased with my results.(Keep the farmer happy and he will keep you happy).