ferret feeding!

I feed mine on z mixture of ,

Ox heart

Liver

Whole animal, squirrel, rabbit, rat, Corvid birds, mice, pigeon basically whatever I catch.

Ferret dry food.

Never had any problems with breeding or general health, rescued a ferret from a friend that had been fed on dog biscuits (big no no IMO) it later suffered with insulinamer (pancreatic cancer) due to incorrect diet.

Hope this helps,

ATB Tony

• Like 2

hi tony going by your pic of Ch. Gentleman Jim your a SBT enthusiast as well? i have them to. show them as well.

Hi Nikki,

Had sbts since I was in my teens, some kc some not but in my opinion there's few dogs can match there character and the bond they make with the family,

The man in the picture is Joe Mallen one of the best game breeders of the black country who as u state bred gentleman jim and many other top quality staffs.

I have a few pics of my dogs in my albums on my profile, take a look of you like :-)

Cheers

Tony

Edited by TonyHunterSBT

Reasons why you shouldnt feed cat food to your ferret

Taken from allaboutferrets

They have a very short intestinal tract, only about 5 times the length of its body. A cat, another obligate carnivore, has an intestinal tract 10 times the length of its body.

Food usually passes through a ferret’s intestine in about 3 hours, compared to the 5-6 hours it takes to go through a cat’s gut.

The food a ferret eats must be highly digestible and concentrated to allow for the short digestion time, and must also be high in animal protein and fat, to help maintain a healthy immune system.

A diet containing taurine is vital for a ferret's heart. Taurine is essential for a healthy heart and good eye function. If there's not enough taurine included in the diet then the ferret's heart muscle could stretch and become enlarged. That, in turn, could lead to dilated cardiomyopathy, which would result in congestive heart failure then death.

Ferrets don't require carbohydrates in their diet as long as they have enough fat and protein in their diet. If a ferret has too much carbohydrates in its diet it could cause two serious problems in the long term - insulinoma and diarrhea.

As others have said, half a rabbit will do fine for a day. make sure you remove meat after few hours or next mornin (feed mine evenin time) so dont go off :). Whole pigeons are good too. And dry food if got no meat. I never bother guttin rabbits as they get loada minerals and vitamins and that from the insides :thumbs:

just to give you an idea of what i feed mine,,,1 whole adult rabbit cut up in sections will feed my 7 polecats on a daily basis,,the rabbits are gutted out in the field and then frozen back home.livers,kidneys,hearts left in them,i also feed them day old chicks simply because a day olds will pass through the gut of a ferret and clean out any internal worms,,,i feed the polecats farmed white rats,,tripe from the slaughterhouse they have as well,they also are fed a mixture of other stuff i shoot with the gun,,they also get a dry food biscuit alpha or james wellbeloved now and again,,milk is always watered down as a treat ,,fresh water is always available,,its best to feed the ferrets little but often,,dont go placing a whole rabbit in the hutch for two ferrets to eat,it will be maggot ridden in a couple of days..as you can see i feed mine mainly meat but find a good quality ferret biscuit they like and if you cannot get rabbits,etc buy some liver or kidneys,turkey meat from the supermarket as a treat,,stay away from pork its normally pumped with salt,,

just to give you an idea of what i feed mine,,,1 whole adult rabbit cut up in sections will feed my 7 polecats on a daily basis,,the rabbits are gutted out in the field and then frozen back home.livers,kidneys,hearts left in them,i also feed them day old chicks simply because a day olds will pass through the gut of a ferret and clean out any internal worms,,,i feed the polecats farmed white rats,,tripe from the slaughterhouse they have as well,they also are fed a mixture of other stuff i shoot with the gun,,they also get a dry food biscuit alpha or james wellbeloved now and again,,milk is always watered down as a treat ,,fresh water is always available,,its best to feed the ferrets little but often,,dont go placing a whole rabbit in the hutch for two ferrets to eat,it will be maggot ridden in a couple of days..as you can see i feed mine mainly meat but find a good quality ferret biscuit they like and if you cannot get rabbits,etc buy some liver or kidneys,turkey meat from the supermarket as a treat,,stay away from pork its normally pumped with salt,,

perfect:)

• 9 months later...

I always gut my rabbits and keep the liver/heart/kidneys... sometimes i boil them up and give them to the dogs other times i give them to the ferrets.. the rabbits then get frozen to kill anything off (un skinned) and cut in half. i had 4 ferrets until today and 1 half a rabbit would sort them out for the night.. pigeons i just chuck in as they are.. you will find the feathers will end up in there bed and thats all that will be left..

my only rule of thumb is.. dont feed them somethign that eats another animal.. example.. crows.. rats.. etc.... i know alot of lads dont mind feeding crows but its just not something i do :)

hi my ferrets dont eat much meat and to be honest i have to remove it as they leave in their sleeping compartment, bought a book from boots sale from the usa and it said ,,,,,,ferrets like chocolate , mine also eat bananas and carrots , and as treat ice cream , i quite often change their food ,,,,,,,dry ferret food sometimes dry cat food , once a week a tin of dog food ,,,,,,as said they wont eat much meat apart form chicken ,,,,,,,liver they wont touch for some reason,,,,,,,,also they love a bag of frazzels ,,,,,,,,,,you would be surprised at what these eat,

15082010134.jpg my last two ferrets live till one was 13 years old and the other 11 years old ,,,,,,,,just think would you like to eat pie and chips everyday of your life ,,,,,,,,,,,,,give them a chage

hi my ferrets dont eat much meat and to be honest i have to remove it as they leave in their sleeping compartment, bought a book from boots sale from the usa and it said ,,,,,,ferrets like chocolate , mine also eat bananas and carrots , and as treat ice cream , i quite often change their food ,,,,,,,dry ferret food sometimes dry cat food , once a week a tin of dog food ,,,,,,as said they wont eat much meat apart form chicken ,,,,,,,liver they wont touch for some reason,,,,,,,,also they love a bag of frazzels ,,,,,,,,,,you would be surprised at what these eat,

15082010134.jpg my last two ferrets live till one was 13 years old and the other 11 years old ,,,,,,,,just think would you like to eat pie and chips everyday of your life ,,,,,,,,,,,,,give them a chage

Not being funny but that's a cat : ) lol pmsl