Is the fac law in the uk about to change.

Hi all :)

A friend of mine has just phoned and told me that , he has just read a posting on another forum that states :

{ in July the police forces across the UK will insist that all FAC holders are members of a NRA registered gun club.

I did quiz her over this and she said, well wait and see it's going to happen }

This would really bugger me up because , all my Rimfire shooting is for pest control , and even if i had the time to join a club , they all have massive waiting lists , and that's if you can get on one :angry:

I was just wondering if any of you guys have heard anything along these lines ,

Regards ,

John :unsure:

Edited by mjr88

not heard anything about that but i intend to look into it. it sounds about right fot this country, instead of leaving things as they are they have to be seen to be doing something :censored: . i dont see the point in this as its just going to make everything more complicated, weel see what happens when july comes i suppose

Rob-o

Edited by mcrobo123

hi mate what ever she read she has got the wrong end of the stick...if you are applying for your first FAC and you intend to do some hunting/pest control then fine you put your paperwork infor this purpose....if you are going the route of a bit of hunting/pest control/target shooting...if you apply for a calibre that you are going to target shoot specificaly then you will need to be a member of a NRA registered gun club...to be honest nearly every gun club if not all are already affiliated to the NRA....there is a lot of old cobblers on the net about what the government/police want and are going to bring in but dont believe all you read in the press they all talk out of their arses...every thing you want to know about the law and shooting you can find all up to date info on the BASC web site.

Paul

These gun clubs make me laugh!!

The one closest to me has a 6 month waiting/probationary period even though you have already been deemed safe & issued with an FAC!!

Over 20 years experience of heavy & light calibre, in all parts of the world, both sandy & cold, not to mention numerous times on the ranges & yet I would still have to have this probationary period - while they check me out!!!

Rant over, sorryicon_redface.gif

The one closest to me has a 6 month waiting/probationary period even though you have already been deemed safe & issued with an FAC!!

Over 20 years experience of heavy & light calibre, in all parts of the world, both sandy & cold, not to mention numerous times on the ranges & yet I would still have to have this probationary period - while they check me out!!!

i think the home office states the probationary period is a minimum of 3 months before you can become a full member, sensible in my opinion, alows the club to get to know you as a person and as a shot. Once your a full member, your harder to get rid of.

Yep I know exactly what you mean Bud, petty, I was told I would have to do all the military safe handling courses again to shoot on the long range ranges, utter balls mate.

Hi all.

Here's an update earlier from the author who started this debate :

THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN!

I was in one of my calls today and as luck would have it, a secretary of another gun club was there (she isn't always in the office). She isn't connected with the other secretary and in fairness she is a secretary of a more "upmarket" club that shoots over MOD ranges. I asked her this question " Here's a technical question for you; I was told by (the secretary of my club who she knows) that in July every FAC holder will have to be a member of an approved club, is this correct?".

Her answer was simple " Yes, no exceptions. Every FAC holder will have to be a member of a home office approved club ". She also added, that as of July they will not except any members who have not sat the Bisley safe rifle course (?), which turns out to be a three day RESIDENTIAL course . She also added that this will now become the normal for any club to get approval by the home office.

Again I asked her if "field shooters" would be subject to this, she said yes. I asked her if a DSC1 / 2 would count towards this "safety certificate" she said no.

GUYS IF THIS IS RIGHT, THEN THIS COUNTRY HAS JUST BECOME SH!T

Lets all hope it's not true ,

John :sick:

Edited by mjr88

Mate it's bollocks if its true why is their no info available about it on the ngo/basc/nsra or the nra's websites? do you not think one of them might mention it given that july isn't very far away?

Edited to say I think the confusion is arising because the restrictions you say are being imposed relate to if you wish to shoot on an mod range in which case yes you must have a range safety cert and be a member of a nra club if however you have no intention of ever shooting on an mod range then it is of absolutely no concern to you at all :thumbs:

Edited by danw
  • 2 weeks later...