Not being funny but if you are breeding them in captivity, they are by definition, 'not wild'.

ok,,,,,both parents were trapped from different parts of the country,,hob was from scottish borders and the jill from mid wales,,,the youngsters will be captive bred wild polecats if that helps you....the reason for me putting them as wild polecats is exactly that,i bred a wild hob and jill,,they are not crossed to other polecat colours which i have at home,,,i kept a jill from last years litter which i bred with a polecat coloured hob which i stated i will have first cross litters as well....

A genuine question,are wild polecats protected?

Taken from a peice in the shooting times in 2006

The polecat is listed in schedule 6 of the 1981 Wildlife & Countryside Act, and Schedule 3 of the 1994 Conservation Regulations.

Under these laws, certain methods of taking wild polecats are prohibited.

These Acts prohibit the deliberate or intentional setting of traps, snares and so on for polecats without a licence. Where traps are set for other (pest) species, the 1981 Wildlife & Countryside Act requires that reasonable precautions to prevent injury thereby to any wild animals included in Schedule 6. Regulation 41 of the 1994 Conservation Regulations prohibits the use of traps that are non-selective according to their principle or conditions of use for taking or killing of protected animals, including the polecat.

In addition, the 1995 Spring Traps Approval Order specifically excludes the use of spring traps for the capture of any species listed in Schedules 5 and 6 of the 1994 Wildlife & Countryside Act.

It is legal to shoot polecats with appropriate firearms, and there appears to be no lawful reason why polecats (harmed or otherwise) caught in traps cannot be shot or kept in captivity. All in all, a confusing state of affairs.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

are you sure you are breeding wild polecats or just polecat ferrets that have escaped, wild pole cats are very big half again the size of ferrets male would take both hands to fit around thier necks i

If you want a polecat, talk to this lad. If you dont, fu@k off and stop giving him grief.

,,you do not need a license and its not against the law to keep them,,,firstly none of my wild polecats latch on to me,last years litter i bred were given away to a few genuine rabbiting boys which i

I expect these are no better than any decent ferret for working ,,so as far as I`m concerned its just a money making scheme,, like angoras or "pure bred silver mitten blues" or some such bollocks,

All fair and well if given away for free, but other than that,, ££scheme.

ATB

I expect these are no better than any decent ferret for working ,,so as far as I`m concerned its just a money making scheme,, like angoras or "pure bred silver mitten blues" or some such bollocks,

All fair and well if given away for free, but other than that,, ££scheme.

ATB

1 thing i learned over the years after spending funny money on various livestock is 9 times out of ten the best is usually the ones given free :thumbs:

anyone wishing to take on wild polecats let me know...i keep and breed them ,,,just bred a litter of pure wild ones and a couple of litters of first x,,,these are not for first time ferret keepers ,,,they tend to be timid and can give you one hell of a bite,,,i own a few and all can be handled,,,,last years litters were very dark,,,they can be handled if you are prepared to put lots of time into them,,,,,,if you look at james bradleys latest dvd for a few ferrets more he is handling one exactly like the ones i breed,very dark....

are you sure you are breeding wild polecats or just polecat ferrets that have escaped, wild pole cats are very big half again the size of ferrets male would take both hands to fit around thier necks i know because i have caught them log before mink were let go in this country.I have seen what some people call wild polecat crosses most are to small to be pure crosses.50 years ago i crossed them, it took many years breeding to reduse their size to use rabbiting one thing i will say when you go one you dont need a dog for marking as they dont go down empty holes signed numberonepoacher

• Like 1

anyone wishing to take on wild polecats let me know...i keep and breed them ,,,just bred a litter of pure wild ones and a couple of litters of first x,,,these are not for first time ferret keepers ,,,they tend to be timid and can give you one hell of a bite,,,i own a few and all can be handled,,,,last years litters were very dark,,,they can be handled if you are prepared to put lots of time into them,,,,,,if you look at james bradleys latest dvd for a few ferrets more he is handling one exactly like the ones i breed,very dark....

are you sure you are breeding wild polecats or just polecat ferrets that have escaped, wild pole cats are very big half again the size of ferrets male would take both hands to fit around thier necks i know because i have caught them log before mink were let go in this country.I have seen what some people call wild polecat crosses most are to small to be pure crosses.50 years ago i crossed them, it took many years breeding to reduse their size to use rabbiting one thing i will say when you go one you dont need a dog for marking as they dont go down empty holes signed numberonepoacher

Give that man a medal :thumbs:

Guest alcapone

Not being funny but if you are breeding them in captivity, they are by definition, 'not wild'.

ok,,,,,both parents were trapped from different parts of the country,,hob was from scottish borders and the jill from mid wales,,,the youngsters will be captive bred wild polecats if that helps you....the reason for me putting them as wild polecats is exactly that,i bred a wild hob and jill,,they are not crossed to other polecat colours which i have at home,,,i kept a jill from last years litter which i bred with a polecat coloured hob which i stated i will have first cross litters as well....

A genuine question,are wild polecats protected?

Taken from a peice in the shooting times in 2006

The polecat is listed in schedule 6 of the 1981 Wildlife & Countryside Act, and Schedule 3 of the 1994 Conservation Regulations.

Under these laws, certain methods of taking wild polecats are prohibited.

These Acts prohibit the deliberate or intentional setting of traps, snares and so on for polecats without a licence. Where traps are set for other (pest) species, the 1981 Wildlife & Countryside Act requires that reasonable precautions to prevent injury thereby to any wild animals included in Schedule 6. Regulation 41 of the 1994 Conservation Regulations prohibits the use of traps that are non-selective according to their principle or conditions of use for taking or killing of protected animals, including the polecat.

In addition, the 1995 Spring Traps Approval Order specifically excludes the use of spring traps for the capture of any species listed in Schedules 5 and 6 of the 1994 Wildlife & Countryside Act.

It is legal to shoot polecats with appropriate firearms, and there appears to be no lawful reason why polecats (harmed or otherwise) caught in traps cannot be shot or kept in captivity. All in all, a confusing state of affairs.

Thanks for that Kay,im non the wiser for reading it though,as they say "all in all confusing!" :hmm:

As i asked why bother ?. probably not got a licence to keep them they should have been released back into the wild but saw the £££££ signs

In the course of a year i invite a few guys out and like to see what they have and how they use it but i can honestly say i dont need gimics like this as nothing beats your honest hard working ferret . I fail to see what a sulking biting polecat would bring to a days ferreting ?.