Your goal

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Biggest tip for any ferreter who wants less hassle, more ferreting and better bags. . . . . well in general a better experience.   Get yourself a dog that marks, no matter what the breed or type, bu

Season bud only have a bit of permission

this will be my first full season.i only managed to get out a couple times when i got my ferrets because it was the end of season,so any more than the current record (two LOL)would be good,am just looking foward to getting the wee fookers out working,been offered a small bit of land to work on and theres also alot of rabbits local so that should be a good start.

Biggest tip for any ferreter who wants less hassle, more ferreting and better bags. . . . . well in general a better experience.

Get yourself a dog that marks, no matter what the breed or type, but if it marks its worth gold, even if its a wee mongrel terrier who couldn't catch a cold.

Never net up for nothing again.

:thumbs:

• Like 3

Biggest tip for any ferreter who wants less hassle, more ferreting and better bags. . . . . well in general a better experience.

Get yourself a dog that marks, no matter what the breed or type, but if it marks its worth gold, even if its a wee mongrel terrier who couldn't catch a cold.

Thats the best advice :) half the reason why i got a running dog :L last season netted up way to much to find out they were empty :(

Every burrows lined with gold are way ideation , but more fun with a dog lol

You've said that before Jamie. That exact quote 'every burrow is lined with gold'. I like it, you jammy sod! Up here the thing is a lot of the land is land we been hunting for a long time etc, and so there are a a good number of bunnies, but A LOT more warrens, so it's a must. It also means you walk less - i.e come to a big banking in some woods, and you can just let the dogs work it, and they will stop and mark if they find anything occupied, if not they will move on. Saves the hassle. Also it's a good way to find new warrens as most of what we do is big woodland, where you can miss big warrens if your not careful (as opposed to hedges). It also gives a rough idea on big warrens how many are in there, and also tells you where they are in the warren, making where to enter the ferrets for quick bolts an easy choice. Also many a time they have found that wee bolt hole we would have missed, while netting up.

And that's before they do the rest.

I do a lot of my ferreting a lone, or with one other, and especially when a lone, it allows me to do stuff i could never do without the dog.

I.e no way on my lonesome i would net up a 40 holer. But with the dog, i can net it and just stand back, and let him get the rabbits and cover holes.

You've said that before Jamie. That exact quote 'every burrow is lined with gold'. I like it, you jammy sod! Up here the thing is a lot of the land is land we been hunting for a long time etc, and so there are a a good number of bunnies, but A LOT more warrens, so it's a must. It also means you walk less - i.e come to a big banking in some woods, and you can just let the dogs work it, and they will stop and mark if they find anything occupied, if not they will move on. Saves the hassle. Also it's a good way to find new warrens as most of what we do is big woodland, where you can miss big warrens if your not careful (as opposed to hedges). It also gives a rough idea on big warrens how many are in there, and also tells you where they are in the warren, making where to enter the ferrets for quick bolts an easy choice. Also many a time they have found that wee bolt hole we would have missed, while netting up.

And that's before they do the rest.

I do a lot of my ferreting a lone, or with one other, and especially when a lone, it allows me to do stuff i could never do without the dog.

I.e no way on my lonesome i would net up a 40 holer. But with the dog, i can net it and just stand back, and let him get the rabbits and cover holes.

could spend a whole day here ferreting empty holes without a dog, they all look fresh are run nightly

but the rabbits hold up scattered everywhere an there is lot a rabbits.......

a marking dog in a great asset :thumbs: