keeping dogs outside

i am wanting to get a lurcher and wanted to no how many people keep them outside i have had a couple of working dog all have lived outside

i am going to to build a kennel inside of the shed with a large cat flap out to a run on the side how do you keep your dogs warm eg what bedding, insulation ect

have you got any pics of your pens and kennels

cheers mark

i am wanting to get a lurcher and wanted to no how many people keep them outside i have had a couple of working dog all have lived outside

i am going to to build a kennel inside of the shed with a large cat flap out to a run on the side how do you keep your dogs warm eg what bedding, insulation ect

cheers mark

get it kenneld mate your run sounds simaler to mine i use shreded papper and insulation is a must for winter kingspan is the bees nees but expensive or sheets polystreen 50mm sheete are about 15 quid each 8/4 sheets heat lamps as well

cheers mark

Iv kept all my working dogs in kennels. a good warm bed up of the floor thats dry and out of the draught will do all but the most thin skinned whippet or imported salukis. I do put my smoth dogs in jackets if they struggle to keep weight on in the very cold winter. I would only ever give heat to a bitch with pups,

lurchers and terreirs are built of sterner stuff than some think mate. :thumbs:

all mine have lived outside for 40 odd years as above have said keep it well insulated and bed raised off the floor lots of differant bedding about to choose from old duvet as good as anything and cheap to but if you only got 1 kennel all the best .

is it alrite to put a pup straight out i will put a hot water bottle in until it gets a bit older

does any one use straw like what you use for rabbits

ALRIGHT MATE.

DONT USE STRAW TOO MANY BEASTS,FLEAS,TICKS ETC.

4/5 NEWSPAPERS SHREDDED 2/3 TIMES A WK.:thumbs:

MY HUT IS INSULATED WITH LOFT LAGGING WITH A SECOND SKIN OF 8X4 SHEETING INSIDE CUT TO FIT :thumbs:

HEAT BULB IN WINTER ALSO DELONGI OIL FILLED RAIDEATORS .

NOT MEGA BUCKS.100 QUID THE LOT :thumbs:

ATB.

is it alrite to put a pup straight out i will put a hot water bottle in until it gets a bit older

does any one use straw like what you use for rabbits

i use shreeded paper my mate uses old quilts and blankets he picks up from car boots i use smaller boxes in side my shed for them to sleep in mine have radio 2 on 24 /7...

Edited by the_stig

i would keep away from hot waterbottle idea as it might expect the same treatment all the time ,every else what has been said is sound proven advice

is there any wrong in keeping yours dog inside? mine always have

stupid question but i meen do they benefit from being outside?

Makes no difference either way mate.

Edited to add - having a pup in the house might make socialization etc much easier, and some basic training.

Edited by Ideation

nothing wrong at all ,they will still work the same kept in or out ,i,ve 1 in 2 out but the 1 in stops out side with the other allday,imo the keenel and run its the dogs own space 2 do as it pleases houses are shared by humans and dogs and car,nt allways do as they want a least when they in the pen its their gaff,especially on warm day like this they do,nt want 2 be copped up