Bad News today

I was on the phone to the landowner earlier today about a rat problem he has in the feed store of his stables, after agreeing another session with the dogs and smoker he said with the sound of regret in his voice 'bad news on the rabbits i'm afraid lad,mixy has landed and theyre dieing in the droves, my dogs have caught over a dozen in the last few days. We'l have to see how bad it hits over the next few weeks, sorry lad'

It might seem a bit strange for the landowner to be appologetic about the rabitts dieing off but he's never been after a clearance job and knows this permission is important to me as it's very close by which means i can combine getting out as well spening time with my young family.

I was there about a week ago and took a couple of healthy rabbits, no sign of mixy what so ever, there's plenty of rabbits on the neighbouring farms so i'm hoping it wont take long to repopulate, anyway doing the rats tomorow so will have a good look around and remove any mixy ones i find.

This is the news no airgun hunter or ferreter wants to hear, i asked if it was all the warrens but he didnt know, so i'm hoping it's confined to one or two warrens. I have another permission at the farm over the road which leads to another valley so i'm crossing my fingers it hasnt reached there as well or i'm stuffed!!

Anybody any ideas how long it will take to get rid of Mixy and how long it will take to gt the numbers back up?

Cheers Ian

I was on the phone to the landowner earlier today about a rat problem he has in the feed store of his stables, after agreeing another session with the dogs and smoker he said with the sound of regret in his voice 'bad news on the rabbits i'm afraid lad,mixy has landed and theyre dieing in the droves, my dogs have caught over a dozen in the last few days. We'l have to see how bad it hits over the next few weeks, sorry lad'

It might seem a bit strange for the landowner to be appologetic about the rabitts dieing off but he's never been after a clearance job and knows this permission is important to me as it's very close by which means i can combine getting out as well spening time with my young family.

I was there about a week ago and took a couple of healthy rabbits, no sign of mixy what so ever, there's plenty of rabbits on the neighbouring farms so i'm hoping it wont take long to repopulate, anyway doing the rats tomorow so will have a good look around and remove any mixy ones i find.

This is the news no airgun hunter or ferreter wants to hear, i asked if it was all the warrens but he didnt know, so i'm hoping it's confined to one or two warrens. I have another permission at the farm over the road which leads to another valley so i'm crossing my fingers it hasnt reached there as well or i'm stuffed!!

Anybody any ideas how long it will take to get rid of Mixy and how long it will take to gt the numbers back up?

Cheers Ian

hey, no idea about your post but as a fellow bradford lad hello there, and where about do you shoot?

ATB

Sean

hey mate

bad luck, that news sucks! :thumbdown:

i dont know how long it will take to get rid of. but one of our farms which was full of rabbits got minxy and its now got no rabbits :thumbdown:

im guessing it could take up to a couple of years to repopulate the farm depending on neighbouring field's

atb

alex

it'll probably hit everybody again this year, its been a hot few weeks and fleas are breeding like mad at the mo. i havent seen any signs down here yet but some of the rabbits i've shot have been absolutely infested with the little beggers.

personally, i shoot as many infected rabbits as poss, out of mercy if nowt else, and then get rid of the bodies off the permission- the dog'll still eat em after all, and it'll prevent the fleas finding new healthy hosts.

you'll find its a losing battle though, its just another way of nature thinning the numbers down...

cheers, wurz

edited to remove accidental text speech!

Edited by gurtwurz

I went to the permission last night and there was a definate lack in numbers, in fact i didnt see any on my land!!!! however i did see plenty on the neighbouring fields and they all seemed very healthy even the kits. I'm hoping most of the rabbits have moved from my warrens into the ones in the next few fields and that it may just be ok, only time will tell!!

Gurtwurz I am definately getting myself down there this weekend and shoot as many infected ones as i can :thumbs:

Adesaxo31 really sorry to hear that mate, if you were closer mate i'd gladly let you have a shoot on my other permission.

So far, there is an area of my permission that is very, very thin on rabbits and Andy (AndyFR1968) and I discovered a myxy-infected rabbit in that area. He shot it after we walked right up to it. Poor thing was in a terrible way. Beyond this part of the permission, all is seemingly well with a good number of healthy rabbits being seen with more frequency. But how well the rabbits remain or, how long this lasts is anybody's guess.

Simon

So far, there is an area of my permission that is very, very thin on rabbits and Andy (AndyFR1968) and I discovered a myxy-infected rabbit in that area. He shot it after we walked right up to it. Poor thing was in a terrible way. Beyond this part of the permission, all is seemingly well with a good number of healthy rabbits being seen with more frequency. But how well the rabbits remain or, how long this lasts is anybody's guess.

Simon

Hopefully the fact that no one has any shooting/ferreting access on the surounding two farms will mean theyre will be plenty to re populate my patch, but it is strange how it can only seem to affect one area, maybe rabbits have a built in sense to recognise the sick ones and stay well clear!!

I have been on a new permission for the last two weeks and there is myxi on it. The desease is hitting both young and adults. The best way i find to clear it up is to go out as many times as possible and shoot as many with myxi as possible and burry them all . You will be suprised how quickly it goes. The only problem with having rabbits so close on other grounds is bucks traveling to different areas and spreading the fleas . Its a pain but one we have to live with . I wish you all the luck in the world that it doesnt hit you to hard.

Iv got a farm on my doorstep matey and about 6 weeks ago i could look over my hedge and see little rabbits playing, now i have a look and nothing. Went for a wonder the other day and shot a 1/2 grow rabbit with mxy, no wonder i haven't seen any. Its wiped out 3 of my farms of about 75 acres each and all good for rabbiting, really enoying, sorry for you're news matey.

mxyi is not going to wipe out the population !!!

mxyi comes every year and the same questions get raised ,its a good thing in my eyes . its the chinese viral one which wipes it out for a year

mxyi is not going to wipe out the population !!!

mxyi comes every year and the same questions get raised ,its a good thing in my eyes . its the chinese viral one which wipes it out for a year

True that makes a serious dent though. Also has an impact on peoples sport, me has an impact on the amount of meat available at anyone time.

Cheers

Karpman

Thanks for the replies lads, i guess it's a damage limitation exercise by clearing as many diseased ones as i can and then cross my fingers :thumbs:

Whippeter69 thats a serious amount of permission wiped out, i hope you have some more to keep you going mate :thumbs: