£250 budget

Hi all

Slowly getting there with decisions about what to buy.

One question to all of the much more experienced users on here................

Will be getting Sako Quad in 17 HMR..............

What scope please (rabbiting and corvids) on a budget of 250 quid (ish) ?

Regards

Rav

will have to disagree there get the best rifle you can,i am sure you can pick up a good scope for 200 - 250 if you sacrifice on magnification.even nine times is enough for 150 yds.i sold a leupold 6.5 -20 30 mil tube in mint condition for 300,bargains are out there .i swear by leupold, lifetime transferable warranty.how much peace of mind that gives.if you were to save on the rifle accuracy may be limited or a new barrel needed all to soon.

will have to disagree there get the best rifle you can,i am sure you can pick up a good scope for 200 - 250 if you sacrifice on magnification.even nine times is enough for 150 yds.i sold a leupold 6.5 -20 30 mil tube in mint condition for 300,bargains are out there .i swear by leupold, lifetime transferable warranty.how much peace of mind that gives.if you were to save on the rifle accuracy may be limited or a new barrel needed all to soon.

Why is that?

The glass is the most important thing on a rifle.

A fancy stock and name brand dont put game in the bag. As long as it has a good barrel and can hold a tight grouping the rest is irrelevant.

You can always upgrade your rifle. Buy a decent scope and it will last you a lifetime.

FTB

Edited by FightTheBan

Why is that?

A fancy stock and name brand dont put game in the bag. As long as it has a good barrel and can hold a tight grouping the rest is irrelevant.

You can always upgrade your rifle. Buy a decent scope and it will last you a lifetime.

FTB

don't miss understand me i agree the glass is very important(hence the leupold recomendation ).i,m just trying to say buying a well used barrel will not do any favors.nothing to do with fancy stocks or names.if a rifle is cheap there is a reason why.

Why is that?

FTB

don't miss understand me i agree the glass is very important(hence the leupold recomendation ).i,m just trying to say buying a well used barrel will not do any favors.nothing to do with fancy stocks or names.if a rifle is cheap there is a reason why.

Probably agree with you on small calibres.

On a big calibre the glass it the single most important thing. No question.

Ftb

Why is that?

FTB

Probably agree with you on small calibres.

On a big calibre the glass it the single most important thing. No question.

Ftb

can't argue there i only shoot small calibres.

Hi Rav,

I have just bought a Redfield 3-9 x 50 for my HMR (which I havent bought yet! I bought the scope first so the rifles not just say in the cupboard unusable because it doesnt have a scope.)

http://www.redfield.com/riflescopes/

I tested quite a lot of scopes before I bought this one. I have to agree with Mike I am a Leupold fan, that is why I bought the Redfield. Its made by Leupold in the same factory. It also comes with the same transferable life time warranty as Leupolds. The difference is that the cheapest leapold 3-9x50 is the VX1 3-9x50 which Uttings have on special offer at the mo at £299 (RRP £355) and I paid £215 for the Redfield.

I was actually going to buy the Leopuld from the gunshop and the owner sold me down into the redfield instead.

Just my opinion.

ATB

Jonno

it makes know difference what the calibre is the main thing if you are a hunter is a clean kill, if you use good glass you can see clearly what you are aiming at so a clean kill then is a gaurantee, it is also very unlikely you will shoot out the barrel of a HMR yes it uses a bit more powder than a .22lr but the round is jacketed with a plastic tip me and a friend bought HMRs at the same time we must have put about 10,000 rnds each through ours (CZ 452s) and still shoot 1/2" at over 100 yrds so dont listern to any one who talks about a shot out barrel on an HMR it B-LL-CKS.

paul

it makes know difference what the calibre is the main thing if you are a hunter is a clean kill, if you use good glass you can see clearly what you are aiming at so a clean kill then is a gaurantee, it is also very unlikely you will shoot out the barrel of a HMR yes it uses a bit more powder than a .22lr but the round is jacketed with a plastic tip me and a friend bought HMRs at the same time we must have put about 10,000 rnds each through ours (CZ 452s) and still shoot 1/2" at over 100 yrds so dont listern to any one who talks about a shot out barrel on an HMR it B-LL-CKS.

paul

you probably clean yours !i am no expert but if you shoot that many rounds and do not look after it i would be supprised if it grouped well.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I had conversation with firearms department today.............turns out I am not restricted to the Sako Quad............it just states....17 HMR ( amongst other bits and pieces) on the paperwork.

So it looks as though I can buy any make/model as long as its .17hmr.........

That makes it a little easier to pick one I suppose

Regards

Rav