3/4 Bred Collie Greyhound

A few pics of my 3/4 bred collie greyhound puppy. He's 7 1/2 months old and is 26" to the shoulder and weighs almost 60lbs. He's going to be a big boy when he's done growing. He'll be a year old in September. Looking forward to the winter - going to be fun? He's been a total pleasure to train. He's seriously obedient. Great recall, his retrieving is faultless, he'll sit, lie and his stay is now up to 300m (unsighted). He jumps like a stag and he has a fantastic nose. But jesus christ he's certainly not been the easiest dog to live with (understatement) but it'll all be worth it come the dark, moonless, windy winter nights - he says with confidence??? Fingers crossed.

post-57287-0-88361900-1303754302_thumb.jpg

post-57287-0-36897000-1303754344_thumb.jpg

post-57287-0-88741400-1303754371_thumb.jpg

post-57287-0-76381100-1303754392_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Judging by your posts you,ve had your work cut out and stuck with it, credit to the game, atb

cracking looking pup, hold your head up mate youve done a great job . i think its maybe a collie thing, had teething probs wi my 3/8 x 5/8 but nothing like youve had. in my experience the guys who s

Posted Images

Tell me more? why is he difficult to live with? Just thinkin one of these my self.

Cracking looking dog!!

When I brought him home in December he was 14 weeks old. I'd never bought a puppy at that age before. I'd always had them at around the 8 week mark. It took him months to settle and even now he isn't 100% but it is manageable. He had two other dogs (older terriers) for company but night after night he'd whine and bark and scrape at the door despite having the company. He couldn't be left for any time through the day on his own with the other dogs as he'd howl and bark. Never seen anything like it before. It about drove me f*****g mad!!! I just ignored it and almost resorted to anti-bark collars but stopped short. Feeding was another issue. If I fed him in the kitchen and left the room even for a minute he'd stop eating and whine even though he had other dogs eating at the same time. If you scolded him for whining/barking he'd take the huff in a monumental way but as soon as he was left with or without the other dogs he's be off again. Someone suggested throwing water at him when he was whinging so I tried that and he literally didn't want anything to do with me for three or four days but it didn't stop the howling. He's certainly a one man dog and even now if I leave him with the wife and kids he won't settle until I return. I certainly didn't spoil him and I wasn't too soft with him - there was a very fine line between scolding him like you would a normal puppy and having a seriously stroppy huffy puppy that you could do little with. He was totally different out in the field and training was a breeze. Toilet training wasn't easy and he had a period of eating his own shit but that passed after a month or so. Everything that I have found routine and easy to do with other dogs over the years was so much harder and challenging with this puppy. I am self-employed and work outside more often that not in the middle of nowhere. I take him to work most days then I surprise him by going off on my own and leaving him with my wife and baby daughter just to make sure he isn't becoming too used to being with me every day. He is getting better but it's been a long slow haul. Fingers crossed he'll keep improving.

Well done to you matey for sticking it out with the dog, I dont have the capacity to live with that and I have to be honest and say it would have been long gone so you deserve all that is good from your future career together :thumbs: :thumbs:

Yeah - he's a Hancock puppy. Out of Kubla. He's the 3rd puppy I have had from David. I had a Taffy 3/4 bred and a Richard Jones Half cross in the 80s. I was without a big dog since my 3/4 died around 1995. So after a period of almost 15 years and some incessant ear bending from my 13 year old son we have this puppy. No regrets. He's a real bundle of exuberance and I've loved having a big dog again. My wife is warming to him - it was a close thing for a while - I almost had to get rid of the wife. Nah, joking apart the dog was never ever going anywhere despite things not being easy. I don't buy dogs just to get rid at the first hurdle. My son loves him and can't wait to start him off. We're off to Hancock's mid May to pick up another puppy. This one is going to be 8 weeks old for sure. I have heard of others having attachment problems with Kubla puppies. Is it a collie thing? I reckon it might be.

Well done BORDERSCOT,.for bravely sticking with your youngster :clapper:

Separation anxiety is a common occurrence in pups that have maybe,.stayed for too long, in the wrong place :thumbs:

You have weathered the storm,..so now it should be much easier...

I've worked a few three quarter breeds,.and for most types of work, they are absolutely ideal..

All the best,.CHALKWARREN.... :toast:

Thanks Chalkwarren - yeah things are better now and he's great fun to be around. Looking forward to the future. :thumbs:

Well done to you matey for sticking it out with the dog, I dont have the capacity to live with that and I have to be honest and say it would have been long gone so you deserve all that is good from your future career together :thumbs: :thumbs:

Cheers mate :thumbs:

nice pup, regards the temp thing i think its how they are kept, not because its a colliexgrey. With Hancock he as that many pups there, so it stands to reason they {wont)be sociallised proper, had they were you would not get all these types of probs from. Should still do the job you want though :thumbs:

Yeah - he's a Hancock puppy. Out of Kubla. He's the 3rd puppy I have had from David. I had a Taffy 3/4 bred and a Richard Jones Half cross in the 80s. I was without a big dog since my 3/4 died around 1995. So after a period of almost 15 years and some incessant ear bending from my 13 year old son we have this puppy. No regrets. He's a real bundle of exuberance and I've loved having a big dog again. My wife is warming to him - it was a close thing for a while - I almost had to get rid of the wife. Nah, joking apart the dog was never ever going anywhere despite things not being easy. I don't buy dogs just to get rid at the first hurdle. My son loves him and can't wait to start him off. We're off to Hancock's mid May to pick up another puppy. This one is going to be 8 weeks old for sure. I have heard of others having attachment problems with Kubla puppies. Is it a collie thing? I reckon it might be.

I.ve got a 2 year old dog out of Kubla well happy with him I never had him of Hancock I got him from a mate of a mate that was giving up he was 12 weeks old his training was ok but got better day by day he went to rabbit work like duck to water ferreting, lamping, mooching all in all I could not be with out him yeh hes the same he is a one man dog and your is a cracker all the best with him :thumbs: