feeding a cocker spaniel

hello, was after some advice. i have a 1 yr cocker spaniel. ive been feeding her wainwrights complete dry food since day one and she lookes very healthy has a lovely shiney coat and loads of energy. however she doesnt seem that intereted in food. quite a slow picky eater. she is quite small about 15 inches but only weighs 10.1. bit concerned because about 6 weeks ago she was 11.5 kg. she has loads of excercise so i tried to cut it down thinking she was burning too many calores but then she just wanted to play all night. not sure what i should try. ive tried mixing in tin meat to make her eat more but just seems like she gets full and doesnt want anymore. im quite fussy only want her to have the best food but not interested in barf. anybody got any sugestions to bulk her out a bit. thankyou

Edited by lemoncakes

lovely dog. i thought about giving burns a go. do they stock a working dog food? thnk ineed something with more protien but less bulk. thanks

burns on its own is plenty,it has everything the dog needs.i give my dog half the daily amount in the morning and the rest later in the day.

atb sneeky

hello, was after some advice. i have a 1 yr cocker spaniel. ive been feeding her wainwrights complete dry food since day one and she lookes very healthy has a lovely shiney coat and loads of energy. however she doesnt seem that intereted in food. quite a slow picky eater. she is quite small about 15 inches but only weighs 10.1. bit concerned because about 6 weeks ago she was 11.5 kg. she has loads of excercise so i tried to cut it down thinking she was burning too many calores but then she just wanted to play all night. not sure what i should try. ive tried mixing in tin meat to make her eat more but just seems like she gets full and doesnt want anymore. im quite fussy only want her to have the best food but not interested in barf. anybody got any sugestions to bulk her out a bit. thankyou

a dog of that size only needs a cup full a day, this time of year it,s warm dogs can,nt be eating big portions so long as she is eating and drinking she is ok and forget about all these high protein dog foods. half decent dry food, ask your butcher for any bones /scraps, or morrison.s own brand fresh chicken wings £1.50 for 8 , four one night next night dry or what ever 4 the next, table scraps, not too much bone though .

How many times per day are you feeding it?

she gets fed twice a day. i really wanted to just keep her on dry food. so she was on a cup of wainwrights in the morning and a cup in the evening. but she was hardly eating any of it. just picking. i got some james welbeloved pouches and mixed that in and she seems to like that alot more. think she is starting to put on weight :)

Try Chudleys, feed my gundog Lab on that, consequences are, 1) he is 46kg, no fat 2) muscles are very healthy has enough torque to remove tree stumps, outbuildings, and small vehicles 3) coat is glossy, looks like black satin, gets loads of comments 4) energy, I want some, can't keep up with him, 5) cost, about £14 for a 15kg sack, good stuffm complete kibble food, also feed it to a growing Corgi who decided he wanted that rather than puppy food and an elderly German Shepherd who loves it!

Bulk it out with flesh. You don't have to feed BARF, but i'dd give her some meat and maybe bones, with her fry, and it'll just be that bit more fat and protein. Also will help her teeth. :thumbs:

My bitch is 16 months now very picky eater.She'll anything we're havin but dried dog food is just steady away ,our lass just mixes a bit of tinned with warm water not soaked and come six oclock she's ate the lot.The bitch is about the same size as yours

Edited by vindiesel

Bulk it out with flesh. You don't have to feed BARF, but i'dd give her some meat and maybe bones, with her fry, and it'll just be that bit more fat and protein. Also will help her teeth. :thumbs:

i used to give her bones untill she managed to fracture a tooth and cost me alot of money to have it taken out! i could try gettng some chicken and things i suppose. but then she will just eat the chicken and leave the rest i should think. lttle bugger. she loves vegetables tho funny little dog.