Jill not looking well

If it was me, I would ring your vet (providing they are nice like myne) ask to speak to a vet and describe the symptoms and see if they can spread any light. I know one of my "ladies" is very lazy and does dordel about.

seperate her so you can monitor exactly how much she is eating and drinking and so that you can check her poo

maybe the following questions asked might help someone more knowledgable on ferrets than me might help

exact diet, how much, what etc?

water, how often do you change it, has there been any road works near you latley?

living conditions, bedding used, cleaning routine, where the hutch is situated?

any changes (even the daftest little thing) in the past few weeks?

Have you been/she been in contact with any other ferrets?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aye very good mate! let the wee thing die cause you don`t want to hand over cash to the vet,, genius!!!,, get rid oh yer animals mate !incase they really get hurt,, and suffer due to your pockets bein

he's posted on here for some advice, last time i went to a vet for worming tablets they wanted £26 to check the dog was o.k before they would give me some ! never in 30 yrs have i had a problem wormi

superfurryanimal' timestamp='1303427288' post='2024763'] 'The one' timestamp='1303425038' post='2024720'] Instead of posting on here you should have phoned the vets small animals like ferrets go dow

If it was me, I would ring your vet (providing they are nice like myne) ask to speak to a vet and describe the symptoms and see if they can spread any light. I know one of my "ladies" is very lazy and does dordel about.

seperate her so you can monitor exactly how much she is eating and drinking and so that you can check her poo

maybe the following questions asked might help someone more knowledgable on ferrets than me might help

water, how often do you change it, has there been any road works near you latley?

Okay I give up, what does dordel about mean.:hmm:

haha sorry, I shall translate, basically doing nothing in a hurry, she waits til the other one has taken all the food in to the bed then eats it and does nothing but yawn when you first pick her up

haha sorry, I shall translate, basically doing nothing in a hurry, she waits til the other one has taken all the food in to the bed then eats it and does nothing but yawn when you first pick her up

Oh right must be local dialect or something, up here we'd say doddle about.:thumbs:

Oh right must be local dialect or something, up here we'd say doddle about.:thumbs:

haha nope its dordle in the part of newcastle i come from haha

Well, she went to the vets yesterdat morning as she looked to be going down hill again.

The vets couldn't tell me exactly what it was, but instead gave her the jill jab and a course of anti-biotics. And charged me £35.

This morning checked up on her again, looking much better, more alert, eating now.

Looking good now, will be putting her back in with her sister soon depending on how she progresses.

Just to clarify, i don't mind spending the £35 on the jill. But that amount of money and not even being able to tell me whats wrong with her and just

having a couple of stabs in the dark isn't good enough, i don't think.

ATB, Adam.

Aye thats what i thought he ment just a abbreviation of what we use

Well, she went to the vets yesterdat morning as she looked to be going down hill again.

The vets couldn't tell me exactly what it was, but instead gave her the jill jab and a course of anti-biotics. And charged me £35.

This morning checked up on her again, looking much better, more alert, eating now.

Looking good now, will be putting her back in with her sister soon depending on how she progresses.

Just to clarify, i don't mind spending the £35 on the jill. But that amount of money and not even being able to tell me whats wrong with her and just

ATB, Adam.

not a bad price really considering (in my vet) consultation is usually £24 and jill jab was somthing like £9.60. I would hold back on putting her back in with her sister for a week or so so you can monitor her eating and drinking....unless she is pineing for her sister as my two don't really like being seperated

i think consultation was £18. jill jab was £10, and then £7 for the antibiotics. the thing that got a little on my nerves was that, the vet, didn't seem to know hardly anything about ferrets.

you go to the vets for an informed decision, but im pretty sure i knew more about ferrets than him.

Yes, the healthy jill, her sister, went mental that night i separated them, so i put in my snipped hob with her and she calmed down a bit.

The reason i would like her to get back in with her sister asap, is that the hutch she is in now. Is not a big one at all. its really restricted and doesn't give her much space to move about.

But we will see.

Adam.

hold it firmly in one hand and give it a quick strike with a cosh.

Ferret is out its misery, you dont have to waste a heap of money on a ten pound ferret and you can offer a home to one of the countless numbers of HEALTHY working jills looking for a home this time of year.

a ferret is a working mans toll. look after them well but if they cant or wont carry out their task any longer :bye:

so your method is if the cost of the vets bill out ways the price of the animal then whack it over the head.you sir are an idiot.

its a shame your parents didnt adopt the same attitude with you when you got ill.

Edited by scothunter

'adammubu' timestamp='1303985275' post='2032508']

i think consultation was £18. jill jab was £10, and then £7 for the antibiotics. the thing that got a little on my nerves was that, the vet, didn't seem to know hardly anything about ferrets.

you go to the vets for an informed decision, but im pretty sure i knew more about ferrets than him.

Yes, the healthy jill, her sister, went mental that night i separated them, so i put in my snipped hob with her and she calmed down a bit.

The reason i would like her to get back in with her sister asap, is that the hutch she is in now. Is not a big one at all. its really restricted and doesn't give her much space to move about.

But we will see.

Adam.

You need to go on to The National ferret Welfare site and check there list of ferret friendly vets and get one in your area

ATB, Adam.

Mate keep her seperate untill she is back to 100%. If she is off colour the others MIGHT pick on her and thats something she really could do without if she already fighting off an infection. Also its easier to monitor how much she is eating and drinking. A small cage might actually be a good thing short term.

hold it firmly in one hand and give it a quick strike with a cosh.

Ferret is out its misery, you dont have to waste a heap of money on a ten pound ferret and you can offer a home to one of the countless numbers of HEALTHY working jills looking for a home this time of year.

a ferret is a working mans toll. look after them well but if they cant or wont carry out their task any longer :bye:

so your method is if the cost of the vets bill out ways the price of the animal then whack it over the head.you sir are an idiot.

its a shame your parents didnt adopt the same attitude with you when you got ill.

do you ever go out doing a bit ? with over 5000 posts i wonder where you've got the time ! you seem to spend more time having an opinion on others ! i think you should take a good look at your self and give your fingers and thumbs a rest and f*ck off to bed dreaming !

You said she had white bits in her poo....may be a tapeworm infestation??? Too early in the year for fly eggs, so may well be the tapeworm larvae segments being excreted. Worm infestation can cause lethargy, undereating/overeating and noticable changes in normal behaviour amongst other symptoms.

Worming her for flatworms may be a good idea, but the others would need a dose too, otherwise the parasitic cycle will continue if the others have come into contact with the larvae inadvertently.

Again, best of luck.