found a hob

a chap i know called me up over a month ago. he had found a pole hob in his garden, he went out the back and it was sat on top of the rabbit cage down bottom of garden and i was the only one he know kept ferrets he is around one year old , he must of been out weeks as he was just a bag of bones well ive had him over 3 weeks now and he is a great little hob even my little girl carrys him around soft as anything and he is putting the beef back on nicely . but the only problem is he is covered in ticks they only seam to have popped up over the last week maybe they was to small for me to spot when i got hm but some are large and white now . what is the best stuff to use to remove then?

I recomend the 'O-Tom' tick remover and(or) some vasaline for any ticks that have already bitten......... then frontline is dear but probably worth it for prevention in the future when the season comes back around... :thumbs:

DO NOT PUT VASELINE ON A TICK!! I hope you meant on a tick bite mate!

Use an Autohm (cannae remember the spelling) tick remover or frontline,, NOTHING ELSE!!

Don`t try any of the voodoo that folk put on here about burning thenm off with fags, or nail varnish remover ,petrol,vasaline, you name it .. All you do is risk the tick emtying into the ferret which will lead to infection.

I`ve said before ,,treat it like you would if you`re kid had a tick !! If in doubt speak to someone or go to a vet (last resort £££££)

ATB

I recomend the 'O-Tom' tick remover and(or) some vasaline for any ticks that have already bitten......... then frontline is dear but probably worth it for prevention in the future when the season comes back around... :thumbs:

£15 dear ??????? Stuff lasts for ages quick rub with a pair of gloves job done

well to the vets for some front line it is then thanks guys. will i have to detick my other ones , they havent been next to the hob but maybe on the safe side?

If you have animals registers with the vets then don't take the ferret in , just go in and tell them you want frontline spray for ferret with ticks , no point taking the ferret and them charging you to tell you something you allready know ; )

Use an Autohm (cannae remember the spelling) tick remover or frontline,, NOTHING ELSE!!

Don`t try any of the voodoo that folk put on here about burning thenm off with fags, or nail varnish remover ,petrol,vasaline, you name it .. All you do is risk the tick emtying into the ferret which will lead to infection.

I`ve said before ,,treat it like you would if you`re kid had a tick !! If in doubt speak to someone or go to a vet (last resort £££££)

ATB

NO mate I meant that if you cant get hold of a specificly built tick tweezer jobby like this in the link -----> http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ccpdogs.ie/images/575-731.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ccpdogs.ie/index.php%3FcPath%3D40%26osCsid%3Dpgjpwifmwn&usg=__NtKYf8-14AYOxZaPlGu5nwUamgs=&h=500&w=500&sz=90&hl=en&start=0&sig2=uyKLIsD84BmycYSn3UvMbA&zoom=1&tbnid=lIAXYQn2KKijvM:&tbnh=163&tbnw=163&ei=4DywTdTaG9Ko8QPAt-nlCw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Do%2Btom%2Btick%2Bremover%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1364%26bih%3D815%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=262&vpy=118&dur=2923&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=117&ty=158&page=1&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

Then putting vasaline on a tick thats still attatched suffocates it and they drop off after a day with no mouth parts attached so no risk of that staying in and causing infection... obviosly tick removers are better but for the meantime vasaline still works!

amd for future prevention use frontline

Edited by proper22

£15 dear ??????? Stuff lasts for ages quick rub with a pair of gloves job done

Its all relative mate, each to their own

ATB

NO mate I meant that if you cant get hold of a specificly built tick tweezer jobby like this in the link -----> http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ccpdogs.ie/images/575-731.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ccpdogs.ie/index.php%3FcPath%3D40%26osCsid%3Dpgjpwifmwn&usg=__NtKYf8-14AYOxZaPlGu5nwUamgs=&h=500&w=500&sz=90&hl=en&start=0&sig2=uyKLIsD84BmycYSn3UvMbA&zoom=1&tbnid=lIAXYQn2KKijvM:&tbnh=163&tbnw=163&ei=4DywTdTaG9Ko8QPAt-nlCw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Do%2Btom%2Btick%2Bremover%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1364%26bih%3D815%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=262&vpy=118&dur=2923&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=117&ty=158&page=1&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

Then putting vasaline on a tick thats still attatched suffocates it and they drop off after a day with no mouth parts attached so no risk of that staying in and causing infection... obviosly tick removers are better but for the meantime vasaline still works!

Wrong sorry.. If you cover the tick in vasaline, it will regurgitate into the host, leading to a high risk of infection, It is not just the mouthpart staying in that causes infection. DO NOT USE VASALINE or anything else to try and suffocate the tick!!!!!!

Voodoo,,, rears its head on here quite a lot.. again,,,frontline or tick removal tool,,(not tweezers ,nailclippers,electric hand drill or anything else,)

ATB

ATB

Wrong sorry.. If you cover the tick in vasaline, it will regurgitate into the host, leading to a high risk of infection, It is not just the mouthpart staying in that causes infection. DO NOT USE VASALINE or anything else to try and suffocate the tick!!!!!!

Voodoo,,, rears its head on here quite a lot.. again,,,frontline or tick removal tool,,(not tweezers ,nailclippers,electric hand drill or anything else,)

ATB

Hmmm well its worked for me in the past with no problems, yes i prefer specific tick remover tools by im still adement vasaline works if you cant get hold of any removers.

However describing the use of vasaline as voodoo is a bit extreme and inaccurate seeing as is is in no way like a ritual to harm another beeing.

anyway who gives a toss you disagree with me fair enough im not bothered its what ever works for you...

atb

TBH mate it`s lucky that it`s worked for you,, and if you`ve heard some of the crap that some people spout about dealing with ticks you will have an idea about why I said voodoo,, don`t read anything to deep into it eh ??? not casting spells on folk or anything.

Whether it`s worked for you or not doesn`t really matter. The fact is it should not be advised to anyone else,, It is the wrong way to deal with a tick ,,full stop, If your child had a tick, would you put vasaline on it ??

And it would appear that you do give a toss,, about my "extreme" views hahaha,,

no harm or curses meant mate ! lol

ATB