changing a dogs name

aquired a dog at 5 months ,hes now 10 months he came with the name LAURIE but im not struck on it and its a bit tongue tying when you call him if you know what i mean so i was just wondering if anyone has ever changed a dogs name at a young age and how hard it was for the dog to adjust also any suggestions to what i should change it to polite answers only please lol :D

aquired a dog at 5 months ,hes now 10 months he came with the name LAURIE but im not struck on it and its a bit tongue tying when you call him if you know what i mean so i was just wondering if anyone has ever changed a dogs name at a young age and how hard it was for the dog to adjust also any suggestions to what i should change it to polite answers only please lol :D

Alot easier if you change it to something similar........so the change over isn't so noticable too the dog....something that ends in "ie" and still has 2 syllables would be best for the dog.... :thumbs:

Somebody wanted me to take a spaniel called "Sash"......no danger........ :no:......I never took it but i know the dog is called Nash now.... :thumbs:

I changed a dog's name once and I actually found it easier to go for a completely different name and simply treat it as a new instruction.

My current eldest kelpie bitch has the registered name of Susie and we named her Tilly as a pup. However, when she was allowed out into the big wide world she completely ignored any attempt at recall. I realised that she was the first pup I'd had since my first ever lurcher that I'd had recall problems with...the common denominator was that they were the only two dogs I'd reared when not single ie I had a girlfriend who used the word Tilly for all and sundry.

As a result, instead of thinking Tilly meant "come here" she thought it meant "Hello," "where are you?" "get off the sofa," "what are you eating?" etc.

To solve the problem I changed her name to Amber but didn't tell my girlfriend, now my wife, for about a week until she'd learnt the new name. :angel:

you must go to your local civic centre and registor the dogs name to make it legal and binding :kiss:

i took on a russell @6 month named lilly,same as you couldn't get my mouth round it and stumbled a few times when calling her,she didn't look like a lilly neither. changed it to'pip' no prob at all,took to it straight away. good luck CP.

Got a German shepherd at 6 months old last January, called Skye. I didn't like it and changed it to flick, she took to it after a few weeks and is good as gold with it now.

Suppose all depends on the dog, the name and the way you work the name change.

I swear to god are some people really that thick or is this a piss take

no my mate had same problemn dog wouldnt listen just dumped him in gippo camp