hi all weve just built 3 half decent release pens but we have mixed veiws on this subject any comments please share with us

as its our 1st year on our new shoot ,theres not many foxes about but we still get a breed off ?

many thanks

Both elec fence and snares don't make the mistake of thinking that only fox will try to get in the pen a badger is just as destructive and is more than happy to kill a load of poults I run 2 strands of wire round my pens 1 5" from the ground and 1 at 12" about 10" from the pen side :thumbs:

Make sure that you make the gates a good size so it's easier for getting feeding in, also large crates of pheasants too.

Personnally I wouldn't have any running water like a stream or burn going through my pen just incase you have to medicate birds sometime.

Make sure that you make the gates a good size so it's easier for getting feeding in, also large crates of pheasants too.

Personnally I wouldn't have any running water like a stream or burn going through my pen just incase you have to medicate birds sometime.

LOl I am surprised you didn't say tarmaced drive for the game farmer to get to the pen :laugh: :laugh:

LOl I am surprised you didn't say tarmaced drive for the game farmer to get to the pen :laugh: :laugh:

I was going to put large field gate on the pen so i can drive right in.......... :toast:

You'd be amazed at some of the pens i turn up at mate... :icon_eek: I never understand why people make tiny gates at the furthest point away from your vehicle.....must be a b*****d feeding them too.... :thumbs:

Had 6 kind of medium sized pens for the last couple of years. This year we've had a re think and gone for 2 massive pens (proper 5 star luxury pens even if i say so myself) and keeping 4 of the smaller ones. Ours is a small shoot obv though.

Had 6 kind of medium sized pens for the last couple of years. This year we've had a re think and gone for 2 massive pens (proper 5 star luxury pens even if i say so myself) and keeping 4 of the smaller ones. Ours is a small shoot obv though.

Thats the thing mate.....less pens means you can cut your work load and as long as you can pull the birds to the drives from 2 pens then thats the way forward. Obviously the down sides are if a fox/badger gets in them its going to cause alot more damage and if you do happen to pick up a touch of disease then it could be a disaster on a larger scale..... :thumbdown: