• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that will be 100% fact FTB

He only took them ducks for the QUACK neil.

Just out of intrest how are irish badgers different in their habits than British ones?

Just looked them up. They look identical but the european otter is 12-19inches long. The River otter that we hunt here is 36-48inches. Big difference there boys.

Thats more bullshit mosby,any otter i have seen dead from road kill are in the 4ft range from head to tip of tail.Now goin back to your mates dogs you said the otter buzzed through THEM like a chainsaw leaving several dead.How many dogs were on the game and it must have had a ak47 not a chainsaw to leave several dogs dead.I have only dug the 1 and bolted 1 but the 1 i dug the terrier in question worked it as he would work fox or badger and it was a very big dog otter.They are better than fox but i would not count them in the same league as badger all pre ban of coarse.

One of my favourite historical prints in my possesion:

http://old-print.net/8721808/8721808193.jpg

Nice to see that Tom. And a pack of full otter hounds too. I've only ever seen one working and she was a mean old bitch.

The huntsman in the picture sort of looks like a local bobby. LOL.

I've seen plenty of old prints like yours over the years and always thought the hunt uniform were of a drab colour. Untill I bought "a chain of bubbles" and "reflections upon a chain". Their uniforms in fact were often highly colourful and looked more suited to the circus than the hunting field.

YIS

many years ago i saw a few dug, a hard dog used to heavy quarry had no trouble holding one pinned twice the other terrier a out and out bayer also held in a stop end but when daylight hit the otter was off in a flash

Thats a great print Tom :thumbs:

Very nice print there!.I've been told from a few that have worked badger on both sides say the American Badger was a tougher animal on a terrier, comman sence would tell me that would be true as its not at the top of the food chain as it is in UK. with the lions,wolfs and coyotes we have here.I would wonder if that was true with the otter. I have no or little experiance with badger and bolted one otter in my life time so this was just to get ya thinkin :hmm:

Very nice print there!.I've been told from a few that have worked badger on both sides say the American Badger was a tougher animal on a terrier, comman sence would tell me that would be true as its not at the top of the food chain as it is in UK. with the lions,wolfs and coyotes we have here.I would wonder if that was true with the otter. I have no or little experiance with badger and bolted one otter in my life time so this was just to get ya thinkin :hmm:

Stuntman do ye dig badgers over there just curious. Liam

Stuntman, regarding the American badger. They are a VERY aggresive animal. Have you ever seen the footage of one pulling the camera out of the camera mans hands. It just shot out of it's burrow and flew straight at the camera. It's often been said too that they go for the genitalia when attacked. Ouch.

But, FACT, several terriers that didn't make the grade over on these shores as fox dogs have been sent to the states and have gone on to make their name as badger dogs in the states.

However I'm long enough talking to American terriermen to know that because the American badger is mostly confined to the Western states and is very nomadic in nature that there isn't to many men in the states that hunt them on a regular basis.

Also in the natural history museum in Dublin there are 3 specimens of American badgers and they are smaller than the European badger.

But you's can dig them and we don't, it's well for you's. LOL.

• Like 1

Oh and someone mentioned about otters being dangerous to handle. As can be seen Toms prints is called Tailing The Otter. That's how it was done, by the tail. And I know what it's like, I've done it.

Neil im sure you will agree there is a massive differance between tailing an otter on top and handleing one after a dig

Edited by MOO

mosby i have never been around otters before but have talked to a good friend in the swamps down south that had a time with one.... 3 coonhounds and a game bred pit, the hounds bayed and nipped, the pit got his ass whipped. ain't no little terrier gonna make a north american otter do anything it doesnt want to do. :nono:

game bred 'pit' working alongside other dogs? :whistling:

is this not possible? :hmm:

Liam-No not as of yet.Had the big dogs on a few and it wasnt pretty :blink:

N.C. First off great post. I've been in digging terriers a long time and know just about everyone thats worth knowing over here and I dont think I can count on one hand 5 men that have had a proper dig to a badger. Sure you'll see the pics with the terrier or terriers :laugh: with the badger proped up, but 99% of the time its above ground or in a two foot feeder hole that they ran in and gang banged it with two or more terriers. As far as the terriers sent over unless you have carnal knowlage of the person telling you the storie I would be HIGHLY suspect of the tale. If those dogs aint making there they aint making here eithere and I would wager when they get out of the shipping crate they never get the full screws put to them most of the time anyway. :thumbs: Neil you and I know the term "Badger" gets used to sell a few pups here and there also . Take care.

Edited by STUNTMAN