Is anyone still ferreting?

Shooting them is a smart move - the above two posts are varying levels of stupidity.

please explain

Dave

The guy is obviously an amateur ferreter so i'm guessing he isn't licensed and trained to use gas. SO i think 'gassing' them is probably the very last method of control that he should employ.

As for ferreting - not exactly efficient at this time of year.

He can shoot them, and so shooting them is probably the way to go.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shooting them is a smart move - the above two posts are varying levels of stupidity.

I was out at the weekend. Everything was wrong as far as traditional ferreting was concerned but it was a paid job that had been delayed by the wait for some rabbit netting to be erected . Basically

Well there you have it the whole evolution of and hard-wired hunting instinct of one species re-routed thanks to a bag of dry ferret food and boiled rabbit. Utter crock of shit!!!   Can't believe yo

Posted Images

please explain

Dave

The guy is obviously an amateur ferreter so i'm guessing he isn't licensed and trained to use gas. SO i think 'gassing' them is probably the very last method of control that he should employ.

ok just thought you were calling me stupid I am licensed and trained to use gas and will gas them at this time of year if asked and ferret from end of august to end of march like most, but sometimes will ferret if can't use gas

cheers Dave

please explain

Dave

ok just thought you were calling me stupid I am licensed and trained to use gas and will gas them at this time of year if asked and ferret from end of august to end of march like most, but sometimes will ferret if can't use gas

cheers Dave

No problem mate.

If your licenced, fill your boots. :thumbs:

Just don't think it's wise to suggest that this guy tries and i think if he did, without training or licence, THAT, would be stupid :thumbs:

Thanks for all the replies, only just really started ferreting this year and so got very limited permission, therefor want to hold on to all that I do have - which I why I suppose you get the worst jobs first and gradually work you way up to 'better' permission, hopefully by next season I will have somewhere that I can use the dog etc. but for now, looks like I'll be doing some digging this weekend :)

There are some landowners who want you "To kill on Sight " and if your worried about your permission you do it but theres loads of ways , i let them see me a couple of times a month out trapping, snaring or lamping it sure keeps them on my side but during the harvest i don't go near any landowners .The rest i go and see and explain whats happening i will be winding down and are they happy?. If no whats the problem and we can take it from there .

my ferrets never stays down to ground even if they killed young. dry food is the key it takes along time but they adjust. i have never had to dig them out making a mess of the land.i give them rabbit every now and again but boil them first to make sure all the blood as run clear, if they are blood thursty then you will end up with problems all the time. its the same with dogs if they are blood thursty you will not stock break them,they will kill anything i site,hope this info helps

[/qu POPPYCOCK

Thinking of going out this weekend, but don't want to be met with lots of young, though from what I have seen the first lot of young seem to be about 1/2 grown round here?

Is it a bad idea? Should I leave it til next season, just don't want to lose the permission as landowner wanted them off as they're causing hell to his crops.

if you have got to do it to keep your land then go but if not i wouldnt because all your ferrets will be doing is moving to young rabbits about its 50 /50 if they come out or not and he prob will kill in but its up to you i would shoot it good luck matey there will be no rabbits left if he uses gas tell him to crack on because you ant ferreting cause there will be no holes left too do any way . :thumbdown:

Edited by Elmer Fudd 2011

my ferrets never stays down to ground even if they killed young. dry food is the key it takes along time but they adjust. i have never had to dig them out making a mess of the land.i give them rabbit every now and again but boil them first to make sure all the blood as run clear, if they are blood thursty then you will end up with problems all the time. its the same with dogs if they are blood thursty you

will not stock break them,they will kill anything i site,hope

this info helps

Well now I have herd it all

my ferrets never stays down to ground even if they killed young. dry food is the key it takes along time but they adjust. i have never had to dig them out making a mess of the land.i give them rabbit every now and again but boil them first to make sure all the blood as run clear, if they are blood thursty then you will end up with problems all the time. its the same with dogs if they are blood thursty you will not stock break them,they will kill anything i site,hope this info helps

Funny both my dogs get raw meat and both are stock broken, it's the training and how they're brought up, not the snap!

And with ferrets it don't make any difference what they're fed, they are killers regardless of what they're fed on and it's just sometimes they lay up sometimes they don't. Sureley best way is to feed them a bit before you go so they aren't starving, whether it be meat or dry food. Mine get a mixture.

How's it going over there in Cukoo land?

Back to the topic - one thing always strikes me. If your in desperate need of going ferreting to keep the numbers down, to keep permission, to me it suggests one of a number of things.

Either -

- It's permission you have just got in summer and so need to make a sudden and visible impact.

- You're doing a pretty poor job over winter and need to take a look at what you are doing and what you promise.

- You have too much land and over stretched yourself, again making promises you can not keep.

Discuss.

How's it going over there in Cukoo land?

Back to the topic - one thing always strikes me. If your in desperate need of going ferreting to keep the numbers down, to keep permission, to me it suggests one of a number of things.

Either -

- It's permission you have just got in summer and so need to make a sudden and visible impact.

- You're doing a pretty poor job over winter and need to take a look at what you are doing and what you promise.

- You have too much land and over stretched yourself, again making promises you can not keep.

Discuss.

It's new permission, only got it last month so would like to make some sort of a start with it. I am new to ferreting and so want to get and keep all that I can (within reason)

Gasing for me is a NO NO.....i would have thought that you couldnt eat a gased rabbit right???

Just think of the sport you could have after the summer by leaving them alone to breed.(the farmer should have thought of all the rabbits on his land before now the plant pot)..... If you shoot rabbits, they could have young down the hole which will be a waste.

Id tell him you'll be back after summer

Well there you have it the whole evolution of and hard-wired hunting instinct of one species re-routed thanks to a bag of dry ferret food and boiled rabbit. Utter crock of shit!!!

Can't believe you actually wrote that.

• Like 1