Is anyone still ferreting?

Thinking of going out this weekend, but don't want to be met with lots of young, though from what I have seen the first lot of young seem to be about 1/2 grown round here?

Is it a bad idea? Should I leave it til next season, just don't want to lose the permission as landowner wanted them off as they're causing hell to his crops.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shooting them is a smart move - the above two posts are varying levels of stupidity.

I was out at the weekend. Everything was wrong as far as traditional ferreting was concerned but it was a paid job that had been delayed by the wait for some rabbit netting to be erected . Basically

Well there you have it the whole evolution of and hard-wired hunting instinct of one species re-routed thanks to a bag of dry ferret food and boiled rabbit. Utter crock of shit!!!   Can't believe yo

Posted Images

I was out at the weekend. Everything was wrong as far as traditional ferreting was concerned but it was a paid job that had been delayed by the wait for some rabbit netting to be erected . Basically any bunnies fenced inside the wire had to go whatever the time of year and whatever size .

It was also so hot I was ferreting in t-shirt and shorts. I felt like a character from one of the late Fred Taylor's Aussie rabbiting tales .

It was slow going . The adults were sticky when it came to bolting but surprisingly I had no lay-ups .

My secret weapon was the '410 and a pocketfull of two inch cartridges for dealing with the little babes that were too small to be netted .

Sometimes this is the way to go if you really have to ferret outside the accepted season as there is no disturbance setting nets and if you are quiet rabbits of all sizes will often slip from a burrow and squat in the undergrowth allowing an easy shot . Not a lot will stop your ferret laying -up on a nest of tiny babies though !.

• Like 1

Thinking of going out this weekend, but don't want to be met with lots of young, though from what I have seen the first lot of young seem to be about 1/2 grown round here?

Is it a bad idea? Should I leave it til next season, just don't want to lose the permission as landowner wanted them off as they're causing hell to his crops.

the ferreter is :icon_redface::whistling: