two brown trout from emyvale lough co monaghan

Guest nutter

Guest nutter

Now a Montana nymph is'nt really keeping with Irish fly fishing traditions is it... :no: ...

Kingsmill Moore must have been turning in his grave that day..... :whistle: ;):D .

Have you stopped fishing??.....That this was 13 year's ago......

Two nice looking fish.....

How heavy were they.....

no will never stop the montana caught for me on dozens of lakes and rivers. these two fish were about two pounds each. i tried traditional loch stlye the montana always saved the day.

Montana is a very good fly. Had a 2lb wild brown from a river where if the leader is 5ft its to long. I find on rivers with colour in them the orange thorax works best for the grayling fished in the rolled nymph style. Havn't had much with them on stillwaters but im always using damsels and buzzers on them :D;)

Smudge

Guest nutter

man theres a real history about this fly. my ma bought me a selection form a shop when i was just going to my first bit of stillwater rainbow fishing. it was a brown body with a green thorax. a few years later a friend tied me up a few copies with green and orange thoraxes both worked well. i have caught brown rainbow running and still water and wild sea trout on this pattern. its the last chance fly for me. still have the original which is in the photo sitting behind the eye of the top trout.