rideing bike to keep dogs fit

hi all does anyone ride bikes to keep there dogs fitness up if so how far and at what pace should i be doing with my collie grey im just starting to ride with him and would be gratefull for any advice cheers

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JUST START OF SLOWLY ,THEN WORK YOUR WAY UP SO YOU DON,T DAMAGE PADS,I,M AT THE STAGE NOW WERE I CAN GET ON THE BIKE AND RIDE 20/30 MILE ADAY WITH MY DOGS AND THATS WERE I WANT THEM 2 BE AS I,LL BE TA

been doing this a few years now on mountain bike,just go steady keep your eye on dog,, if it tyres stop and give it a rest,my bull x can pull me one mile on road,,but i do it late at night when no car

I bike the two of mine superb way to keep them fit, My suluki/ghound gets around 45mins to an hour keeps her in good nick. My collie/ghound gets the same but looks like she could do three times that easy! Just got to watch the tempature at this time of year. Start your dog off keep an eye on dog and build it up over 3 or 4 weeks. I go at fast walking pace on the hard surface and varys off rad fast down hills and slow up lol

Edited by Dave N

JUST START OF SLOWLY ,THEN WORK YOUR WAY UP SO YOU DON,T DAMAGE PADS,I,M AT THE STAGE NOW WERE I CAN GET ON THE BIKE AND RIDE 20/30 MILE ADAY WITH MY DOGS AND THATS WERE I WANT THEM 2 BE AS I,LL BE TAKEING THEM CAMPING SOON IN THE NORTH PENNIES WHICH IT IS 32 MILE AWAY ON CIRCLE PATHS THATS HOW DO THINGS IN THE SUMMER :thumbs:

Edited by rocky1
  • Like 2

i use something like this

http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/cycling-bikejoring/walkydog.html?gclid=CLTvtsqRhqgCFYEc4QodG0h7rg

it has a sort of spring/damper for if the dog stops suddenly

i use the same as that and run my dogs 3 times a week i do 8 km a session then the other couple days just go strolling wit them for about 2 hours a day but as all ready said becareful wit the temptures just before dark is a good time to run them

i use something like this

http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/cycling-bikejoring/walkydog.html?gclid=CLTvtsqRhqgCFYEc4QodG0h7rg

it has a sort of spring/damper for if the dog stops suddenly

i use the same as that and run my dogs 3 times a week i do 8 km a session then the other couple days just go strolling wit them for about 2 hours a day but as all ready said becareful wit the temptures just before dark is a good time to run them

Yeah sounds like a cracking bit of kit - gonna get one of these. Thanks

been doing this a few years now on mountain bike,just go steady keep your eye on dog,, if it tyres stop and give it a rest,my bull x can pull me one mile on road,,but i do it late at night when no cars are about but he is 28"tts and it gets rid of his energy if he pulls me,its good fun to lamp on push bike but only walking pace and only a few runs its easy to give a dog too much on bike.atb mick :thumbs:

• Like 2

i exercise both the lurcher and staffy this way, i tie a rope around my middle with the handles of thr leads through the rope. a lead and dog on each side of me, then i get the dogs to pull me on the mountain bike. the first time i did this i tied the leads to the bike around the bikes seat post with a bungee elastic for a shock absorber. when i got down the end of the lane a rabbit ran across the path. the lurcher shot after it stretching thr elastic about 40 yards, there was a load crack sounding like a rifle shot,the elastic snapped and the hook fired against my thigh. it seemed to happen in slow motion i thought f****n hell look how far that elastics gone , heard the crack then felt like i had been shot in the leg. i had a bruise like a dinner plate on my thigh for ages.