Question on shooting geese with a rifle in England and Scotland

Under what circumstances is it legal to shoot geese in England and Scotland with rifles please?

Certainly in England - In the open season and with permission of the land owner.

I guess that there might be a cloudy issue with using lead ammunition over certain wetland areas.

Any particular species of geese then for England Comanche? Or would you be restricted to one or some only? Can you get special permission for out of season, for crop protection/pest control or such?

Anyone know about Scotland please?

It's info for a debate elsewhere :)

Any particular species of geese then for England Comanche? Or would you be restricted to one or some only? Can you get special permission for out of season, for crop protection/pest control or such?

Anyone know about Scotland please?

It's info for a debate elsewhere :)

As far as I know there is nothing that says you must use only a shotgun to shoot any of the legitimate sporting species geese in the open Season . The Canada goose in England is subject to an Open Licence and can be shot outside the sporting open season for crop protection and wildlife management reasons (but not I believe in Scotland ).

I suppose the terms of the grant and wording on a FAC might be an issue that affects using a rifle . I guess something like "shooting of vermin or wildlife management " would cover you to a degree .I've culled a few Canadas on this basis . Sporting shooting of geese with a rifle might need a different literary approach.

Hope this helps a bit at least :thumbs:

The lead issue only refers to a fire arm that has a smooth bore, so in basic terms shot gun must be non toxic shot and a rifle can be a lead bullet.

Canada geese can be shot under open license all year round provided you ar satisfied no other means of control would be effective. You don't need to have proof that other means have been tried only that you are satisfied.