Hi folks here are a few walking sticks that me and my dad have made over the last few weeks. We are looking for any comments and advice from other stickmakers out there that could help us with future sticks we decide to make. So any comments will be appreicated

post-31633-0-81382800-1301605550_thumb.jpg

Some nice sticks there, well done.

What flavour of wood is the acorn carved from?

I will have to get my backside into gear and put some pics of mine up,

Watch this space...............................

atb

I am not sure but I got two wooden eggs and one of them is below. The egg that the acorn was carved had jerusalem printed on it and I think that it was turkish walnut but not sure. Also it had a nicer grain on it and stained down very well.

post-31633-0-85339900-1301607660_thumb.jpg

Its something that your really get into when you get started. We recently harvested some hazel shanks and were wondering how long it would take for them to season and be ok to work with.

Its something that your really get into when you get started. We recently harvested some hazel shanks and were wondering how long it would take for them to season and be ok to work with.

ive had mine in the shed about a month mate but was told is was best waiting about a year :icon_eek:

• 4 weeks later...

hi i want to make a stick what wood do you prefer to use? cheers

Hazel is very good :thumbs:

i like to use holly. You can find holly branches or small shrubs that are straight as a dye. Also they are much stronger than most woods. It is heavy but dries out nice and light after 12m or so. Never cut down the main trunk though, it's the worst possible thing to do... if you are superstitious, that is....

Hazel, Blackthorn and Holly are most often used. The holly more so on show sticks.

Season for one year per inch thickness.

One simple rule, don't let the hand-piece droop.

H2002Stick-detail.jpg