Keeping ferrets indoors

i wouldn't personally, they fecking stink! :laugh: Even if you keep their living quarters totally shit & piss free , they still have that characteristic ferrety smell! :D You'll get used to it if you have them indoors, but any visitors to your house won't! :clapper:

i wouldn't personally, they fecking stink! :laugh: Even if you keep their living quarters totally shit & piss free , they still have that characteristic ferrety smell! :D You'll get used to it if you have them indoors, but any visitors to your house won't! :clapper:

AGREED

and when the hob comes season I dont even think you could get used to it.

mine absolutly stink

I keep the ferrets indoors over night as we have some dodgy neighbours who wouldnt think twice about stealing them but as im sure you know they stink. I think ive become immune to it but its a nice welcome to any visitors :thumbs: as far as health warnings the house always around 20 - 21 degrees and they dont have any problems with the warmth so i wouldnt worry. all you have to think is can i put up with the smell and cleaning up.

Def dont let em run on laminated flooring though, any urine gets underneath that and it'll be reminding you for weeks. Most the time though if i know anyone's coming round 2 or 3 days outside and smells gone.

Hi mate,

Before I moved house I used to keep my ferrets inside all the time without any problems although both of my hobbs have been castrated. I know it might sound a bit poncey, but I used to bathe them every 6 weeks or so and apply deodorising ferret shampoo. It's important to do that if you bathe them to prevent them producing more oil to coat their fur which will actually make them smell more! It also helps to keep their litter tray very clean and change the bedding regularly (but I'm sure you do that anyway). I must say though that now I keep mine outside they do seem happier (and so does my wife!!), but it can be done!

Nath

Hi mate,

Before I moved house I used to keep my ferrets inside all the time without any problems although both of my hobbs have been castrated. I know it might sound a bit poncey, but I used to bathe them every 6 weeks or so and apply deodorising ferret shampoo. It's important to do that if you bathe them to prevent them producing more oil to coat their fur which will actually make them smell more! It also helps to keep their litter tray very clean and change the bedding regularly (but I'm sure you do that anyway). I must say though that now I keep mine outside they do seem happier (and so does my wife!!), but it can be done!

Nath

you say to prevent them producing more oil.

the oil in their skin and coat isnt there to make them smell

it has natural oils to help them stay healthy and keep their coat in a good condition

im not saying you shouldnt bathe them its entirely up to you. but to wash away all their natural oils isnt going to do them any favours. same as humans we have oils in our skin we wash them away and our skin dehydrates and alot less healthy.

plus the stench of the ferrets lets the rabbits smell them faster and get out them holes faster also avoiding any kill ins.

Hi mate,

Nath

it has natural oils to help them stay healthy and keep their coat in a good condition

im not saying you shouldnt bathe them its entirely up to you. but to wash away all their natural oils isnt going to do them any favours. same as humans we have oils in our skin we wash them away and our skin dehydrates and alot less healthy.

plus the stench of the ferrets lets the rabbits smell them faster and get out them holes faster also avoiding any kill ins.

Sorry, I probably didn't make that very clear - it's not actually shampoo, it's a spray on "conditioner" if you like, that replaces the natural oil to keep them healthy without their natural oils which obviously smell. I'm sure you are right about their natural smell bolting rabbits - obviously you will lose that advantage!

Hi mate,

Nath

Sorry, I probably didn't make that very clear - it's not actually shampoo, it's a spray on "conditioner" if you like, that replaces the natural oil to keep them healthy without their natural oils which obviously smell. I'm sure you are right about their natural smell bolting rabbits - obviously you will lose that advantage!

ahhh right :victory:

anyways i guess it helps some other people who might actually (wash their ferret :laugh: )