To spew or not to spew

i sent a red lakie dog 'Davie' up to scotland a couple of years ago, to enjoy his twilight years as a stud dog .he threw the towel in at 9!!!.

just spewed one day, as i think he'd had enough ;) . thought that as he'd been such a tool, he deserved more than ''good night''

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good friend of mine here in Italy had an excellent dog mostly gould :welcomeani: with some nuttall blood .

He worked at a very high level for four seasons with foxes , badgers and porcupine .

he got punished very hard a few times and needed a rest due to injury eating only fluid for several weeks

and so on . The porcupine prickers can make serious damage when pierce through eyes, stomach ,etc

and need weeks to heal up .....Don't need to explain brock's damage.......... :censored:

but the dog always had restarted working as welll as before.

well this dog seemed to be the best hunting terrier imported in Italy and many people would have paid

lots of money to get him.....

Suddenly one day the dog stopped :blink: and the owner gave him another chance .But he stopped again :( .

The owner is a very honest and genuine terriermen

he should have made lots of money selling him but he didn't. The choice was difficult but he choose to put him to sleep .

I wouldn't mention their names to repect their privacy but i assure you this is true .

regards

Max

tend to leave the terriers to my friends while i look after

the lurchers i have just the one terrier but love to to dig to any terrier.

i bought my terrier as a seasoned worker and served me well.

dug over fifty with him while my mated dogs have been lying up.

planned to breed of him at end of season to a tough bitch.

but has all but sure quit think he is gone mad in the head.

from barking at scents to coming off after a half an hour .

for a sounder that never let me down and have lost a few times in the fields

only to find him working under ground a field or so away.

had some great days can be hearth breaking .

even tough its against my mates wishes he will be staying in my yard.

i owe it to the dog at this stage.

think he is about seven now.

all the best

macker

as the sayin goes OLD DOGS AND BOLD DOGS BUT NO OLD BOLD DOGS, over the years i have had a few give up but the one i pensioned off to mother will be 18 in june and will still have ago given the chance.as a rule if one gets to 9 hes done well most of my terriers dye before they get to 5-6 but they are worked hard and if they jib ill give them acouple of chances then out for pets or a lead injection

hello to everyone,

in my oppinion every dog can be made to quit..after all they are only made from flesh and blood.

and i think it makes a big difference if a dog quits at his first fox, or even at his 10 th fox because he got seriuosly mixed up, or if it will not work anymore after a hundred foxes and badgers etc.

if a dog quits at his first few foxes the dog is a cur in my oppinion or if he quits after his first real hard contact even if he had bolted a lot of foxes before it is also a cur in my oppinion (of course when he was given time to mature before entered)

the reasons for a dog to quit after hundred foxes and many badgers for example (in places where it is still leagal) can differ very much in my oppinion. every hard contact take something out of the dog and after many seasons of working (and hundreds of hard contacts) i think that the possibility of a dog that gave everything during the years before to quit is very high.

i think it is up to the owner of the dog to decide if a dog that worked 6 or 7 or more hard seasons should deserve to be retired...and if not i think that one always has the possibility that the once so good dog does not have the mental or physical power or stamina to fullfill his job for the next seasons.

a quit is not always a quit.just my thoughts.

best regards

Chris (sorry for my english)

Edited by chris

ive seen alot of hard dogs jack it in before there 4th birthday,they walk out from there game or start giving you false digs ,but a good lock off them are started very early or worked hard week in and week out with no time two heal properly,but your bayer and mix it a bit terrier never packs up until an old age.

Every dog can spew if not used properly imo............E.G.........A well bred young dog being dug to week in week out sometimes sore as the owner has f**k all else in the kennel & starts to "rely" on said youngster.........All this before the dog is 18mnths..............Dog then walks off site & is PTS for his troubles........Dogs fault or f*****g owners........????

Its been a while since that has been brought up Taffy, thought that one had been buried ... move on mate mistakes get made. :(;)

Every dog can spew if not used properly imo............E.G.........A well bred young dog being dug to week in week out sometimes sore as the owner has f**k all else in the kennel & starts to "rely" on said youngster.........All this before the dog is 18mnths..............Dog then walks off site & is PTS for his troubles........Dogs fault or f*****g owners........????

very well said

What do you mean by the main blood source starting to go funny ? I know the main blood source and it is far from funny mate, and a long way away from dying out too. ;)

Edited by shay

That dog has been biting people for years, :laugh: , it is a shame in one respect but on the other hand could be a blessing in disguise for the man who has worked so hard to keep the line tight and true, the worse thing that could happen is for all and sundry to get hold of the blood and make big bucks to them foreign c**ts :censored:

Incidentally there aren't many litters out of him directly as my bitch and one other are the only ones that he has lined outside the gene pool, unless underhand things have taken place that is :hmm:

Any more is for discussion in private, ;)

With regards to the one you saw at weekend, she has every chance where she is, not sure about Felly's she may well be back in my kennel :laugh:, the bitch i kept back is a very single minded animal, would go now without a doubt, next season will be hers I hope, fingers crossed.

I'd say you are better to stick with Mollys line than outcross at all, especially if the dogs it is throwing are making the job, to me thats what line breeding is about, no need to outcross stay close only outcross when the chips are down IMO, you have nothing to gain from going to G's stuff, the people who end up with the pups may have though :yes: