venison lurchers.

I think the white fallow are fairly common, i have a vido of 4 near me. I saw the white red in the south lakes, later found out its known in the area.

There a four colours of fallow deer, Common, menil, melanistic and white. White fallow are relatively common but possibly the least common of the four colours. I know of two deer parks that have herds of white fallow only.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not being funny, but surely anyone who's done enough lambing, especially bigger stuff, but even rabbits, will have had a dog catch out of the beam plenty of times. Granted, most bunny in flat fields w

There was deer & then there was DEER..90% of lurchers were capable of the smaller varieties yet only 10% would of been capable of the bigger types,single handed of course I'm talking here..All hyp

Rutting fallow,lot of power in these things,just been watching a fight that went on for 3 minutes from a distance of 10 feet sometimes.    

Posted Images

There was deer & then there was DEER..90% of lurchers were capable of the smaller varieties yet only 10% would of been capable of the bigger types,single handed of course I'm talking here..All hypothetical these days but still for us oldies we can talk from personal experience

There would be few deer left if 90% of lurchers could come to terms with the easiest of Bambi,if the tales on here are to be believed.Thankfully that leaves enough for my favoured meal,casseroled Fallow,thank feck for roadkill.
Like i said buddy 90% were "capable" of the smaller varieties not that 90% ever did,I've seen a Patterdale terrier catch several Roe back in the day & even daytime hares lol..so lets be honest Roe & smaller should of been in the grasp of almost all lurchers given a chance.. The bigger beasties well they were more for the select few imo
that's true fuji, seen many dogs take roe and fallow but only one dog I've seen has had the knack to take fallow by himself regular without being dragged about or making a mess of it

Not talking size or sheer strength but 90% of lurchers for regular daytime Roe definitely isn't right.

I seen more dogs get straight lined or spun around fields by Roe during the day than I care to remember.

I never ran Fallow or Sika but an old mate of mine ran them regular and said they were a lot slower and easier to get on terms with than Roe, but obviously a lot more difficult to pull.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I had the pleasure of going out with the lamp a few times with a chap from Plymouth way back in the mid 90s , I was running my collie / grey x deerhound at the time and the chap was friendly with a few of my mates . He had a first x bull grey and at the time it was the first i had seen , i remember it looking the meanest dog i had ever seen and made my 25 tts look like a whippet . Anyhow my mates told me plenty of times how the chap and his bull x would ride on the back of the quad out on the downs , get to within striking distance let the dog go and he would pull reds down , they were however quick to arrive on the quad to finish dispatching the deer . My most vivid memory was taking him out up on the moor lamping through a gateway and getting a pony in the beam , the dog nearly dragged him through the gate to get at the bloody thing and he mentioned about having a few accidents !! with him 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, runner neil said:

I had the pleasure of going out with the lamp a few times with a chap from Plymouth way back in the mid 90s , I was running my collie / grey x deerhound at the time and the chap was friendly with a few of my mates . He had a first x bull grey and at the time it was the first i had seen , i remember it looking the meanest dog i had ever seen and made my 25 tts look like a whippet . Anyhow my mates told me plenty of times how the chap and his bull x would ride on the back of the quad out on the downs , get to within striking distance let the dog go and he would pull reds down , they were however quick to arrive on the quad to finish dispatching the deer . My most vivid memory was taking him out up on the moor lamping through a gateway and getting a pony in the beam , the dog nearly dragged him through the gate to get at the bloody thing and he mentioned about having a few accidents !! with him 

Collie/grey x deerhound, 25 tts, a bit small mate?

On 01/11/2017 at 07:08, D Lloyd said:

Jest out of interest back in the day what numbers of deer did you old timers get and could the dogs take all species single handed day and night from muntjac to red stag

Can't be done, apparently ?