venison lurchers.

How did you used to stop dogs hunting on after bambi if they ran it out of the beam?

ATB JB

Always been illegal to run bambi in beam mate

Ok, When ya wearing a balaclava....how do you stop dogs hunting on after bambi when running it out the beam? ha.

same way you stop a dog running rabbits when its not in the beam you turn off and the dog comes back doesn't it?

Not to my knowledge, Rabbits 9 times out of 10 usually are down a hole once the dog's missed so he trots back. Never seen a fallow manage that trick yet !

what was your dog doing then mate? crashing through woods on it own like a manic chasing deer round on its own agenda?

That sounds like a lot of the day time hunting we did before the ban. Seemed fairly successful at the time. Bit hard on the dogs though, and you had to be fit lol.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not being funny, but surely anyone who's done enough lambing, especially bigger stuff, but even rabbits, will have had a dog catch out of the beam plenty of times. Granted, most bunny in flat fields w

There was deer & then there was DEER..90% of lurchers were capable of the smaller varieties yet only 10% would of been capable of the bigger types,single handed of course I'm talking here..All hyp

Rutting fallow,lot of power in these things,just been watching a fight that went on for 3 minutes from a distance of 10 feet sometimes.    

Posted Images

How did you used to stop dogs hunting on after bambi if they ran it out of the beam?

ATB JB

Ok, When ya wearing a balaclava....how do you stop dogs hunting on after bambi when running it out the beam? ha.

same way you stop a dog running rabbits when its not in the beam you turn off and the dog comes back doesn't it?

I fecking hope not. . . that would be rather upsetting. . . .

not for me pal I find a dog running around in the dark on its own more so upsetting.

Not being funny, but surely anyone who's done enough lambing, especially bigger stuff, but even rabbits, will have had a dog catch out of the beam plenty of times. Granted, most bunny in flat fields will hit the hedge or fence, but on rough ground even they will take a dog out of the beam on a contour, or round a hedge or wall or some cover, and a lot of good dogs will push on and catch if they are close enough.

With bigger stuff, like fox, deer etc, a dog isn't blind at night, if its up its arse and it goes over the brow, into the woods, through a hedge etc, it shouldn't just pull up, it should at least have a go, but have the brains to know when its lost and not to fanny about all night.

Theres a difference between hunting up and running on out of the beam for me. :thumbs:

Yes your right there pal the dog will catch out of the beam in a dip or in a bit of brush or whatever and that's fine but there is a difference between out of the beam and switching off if you catch my drift, I would go ape with the lamp off calling and calling while the dogs hunting on smashing around that's what I was getting at. atb s2h

• Like 1

ATB JB

not for me pal I find a dog running around in the dark on its own more so upsetting.

Not being funny, but surely anyone who's done enough lambing, especially bigger stuff, but even rabbits, will have had a dog catch out of the beam plenty of times. Granted, most bunny in flat fields will hit the hedge or fence, but on rough ground even they will take a dog out of the beam on a contour, or round a hedge or wall or some cover, and a lot of good dogs will push on and catch if they are close enough.

With bigger stuff, like fox, deer etc, a dog isn't blind at night, if its up its arse and it goes over the brow, into the woods, through a hedge etc, it shouldn't just pull up, it should at least have a go, but have the brains to know when its lost and not to fanny about all night.

Theres a difference between hunting up and running on out of the beam for me. :thumbs:

Yes your right there pal the dog will catch out of the beam in a dip or in a bit of brush or whatever and that's fine but there is a difference between out of the beam and switching off if you catch my drift, I would go ape with the lamp off calling and calling while the dogs hunting on smashing around that's what I was getting at. atb s2h

Best thing you can do then is make sure your dog knows not to chase deer at all as it's nearly impossible to avoid them altogether these days :thumbs: .

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • 3 weeks later...

ATB JB

Best thing you can do then is make sure your dog knows not to chase deer at all as it's nearly impossible to avoid them altogether these days :thumbs: .

That's very difficult. It's like telling a young heterosexual young man not to become aroused at the sight of a naked, young, nubile lady. :icon_eek:

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 3

I've skipped from 1st page to this so if my comment is out of topic as topics tend to change to drama on here quite often - my mate had a bitch, about 22tts black Broken coat feathered ears - collie saluki grey to look at but not 100%, best deer dog I've seen, black rocket she was known as! Not much got away from her I tell you. I'm after a nice big strong bull x at the min but not all deer dogs are big n daft she was built like a whipper grey! Dickies_dogz off here owned her

Edited by hare_n_hounds

There was deer & then there was DEER..90% of lurchers were capable of the smaller varieties yet only 10% would of been capable of the bigger types,single handed of course I'm talking here..All hypothetical these days but still for us oldies we can talk from personal experience ?

• Like 12

There was deer & then there was DEER..90% of lurchers were capable of the smaller varieties yet only 10% would of been capable of the bigger types,single handed of course I'm talking here..All hypothetical these days but still for us oldies we can talk from personal experience

There would be few deer left if 90% of lurchers could come to terms with the easiest of Bambi,if the tales on here are to be believed.Thankfully that leaves enough for my favoured meal,casseroled Fallow,thank feck for roadkill.

• Like 1

There was deer & then there was DEER..90% of lurchers were capable of the smaller varieties yet only 10% would of been capable of the bigger types,single handed of course I'm talking here..All hypothetical these days but still for us oldies we can talk from personal experience

There would be few deer left if 90% of lurchers could come to terms with the easiest of Bambi,if the tales on here are to be believed.Thankfully that leaves enough for my favoured meal,casseroled Fallow,thank feck for roadkill.

Like i said buddy 90% were "capable" of the smaller varieties not that 90% ever did,I've seen a Patterdale terrier catch several Roe back in the day & even daytime hares lol..so lets be honest Roe & smaller should of been in the grasp of almost all lurchers given a chance.. The bigger beasties well they were more for the select few imo

• Like 2

Like i said buddy 90% were "capable" of the smaller varieties not that 90% ever did,I've seen a Patterdale terrier catch several Roe back in the day & even daytime hares lol..so lets be honest Roe & smaller should of been in the grasp of almost all lurchers given a chance.. The bigger beasties well they were more for the select few imo
geez peace.how did the patterdale catch them

Ha, I have a mastiffxdane and she used to catch fallow like they were sloths, she was a bugger for it, never intentional but when we were out around the farm if she put one up it was usually nailed in the first field, if not the second, she took some quite big stags as well, thank feck she has got old and calmed down now, used to be a nightmare taking her out.

Years ago I also had a black lab for beating and picking up, never forget been on a posh shoot and the keeper giving his morning speech that no guns were to shoot the deer, end of the first drive the lab had 3 munt ! Comment from a gun, no wonder you don't want the deer shot, you don't like lead in them !

• Like 1

Ha, I have a mastiffxdane and she used to catch fallow like they were sloths, she was a bugger for it, never intentional but when we were out around the farm if she put one up it was usually nailed in the first field, if not the second, she took some quite big stags as well, thank feck she has got old and calmed down now, used to be a nightmare taking her out.

Years ago I also had a black lab for beating and picking up, never forget been on a posh shoot and the keeper giving his morning speech that no guns were to shoot the deer, end of the first drive the lab had 3 munt ! Comment from a gun, no wonder you don't want the deer shot, you don't like lead in them !

a had a pug that took all 6 easy preban
  • Like 3

geez peace.how did the patterdale catch them

Caught them when beating out plantations which were fenced in,you know how they could get in a panic & then run into fencing etc & be their own worst enemy thrashing & bouncing about instead of taking a step back & popping over & away to safety..Patt took several he did back in the days of yesteryear