ferrets and protein needs

These required proteins% that are being quoted :hmm: How do stoats and weasels etc in the wild manage? Venison is 34% protein and 6.5% fat but cant see them being on the menu,rabbit 27% and 8% fat,Pigeon 13% protein and 13.5% fat which dont match up to what is being quoted as needed protein for ferrets?

Y.I.S Leeview

Stoats and weasels are part of the Mustelidae family, as are otters/badgers/martens/polecats/minks & black footed ferrets and of course our domesticated ferrets, even mongoose and meercats are related. (other species may also be included!)

Point is, the dietary requirements of each species (although related) may be different. Many professionals agree that 'raw meat' diets for ferrets need supplementation. Considering the ferrets you have in your ownership now are 'domesticated' ferrets, in the sense that ferrets have been domesticated for around 2000 years now, they do not have a 'natural diet'.

It is therefore inappropriate to compare the diet of non-domesticated mustelidae members to domestictated ferrets. You may see your ferrets as natural hunters, which they are, but their dietary requirements have been altered through centuries of keeping them as domesticated working animals.

Not picking a fight, I'd be happy to hear you opinion.

BTW, not a weirdo on the internet at night, just waiting on collection to help treat a RTA horse!

Aye they have been domesticated for around 200 years, and how long has dried ferret food been available? You can supplement your ferrets diet with NATURAL stuff, fish, veg, egg, soya milk, varied meat, game, poultry etc. They were fed on bread and milk for longer than they have been fed dried food. And anyhow i'd be interested in how keeping them in runs for 2000 years, feeding them rabbits and hunting rabbits with them has altered their dietry requirements so that they need dried magic food?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whatever you may THINK, you yourself said it, ferrets are obligate carnivores, they must eat the flesh of other animals in order to survive, so as such, the best diet is one that is made up of mixed w

Cant realy see the need for it all myself mate....I have kept ferrets for over 25 years and always fed them on game wether it be rabbit,pidgeon,pheasant or what ever i can get my hands on all winter a

Theres obviously a market for processed food .. one reason I stopped feeding it is the general health of the ferrets .. they became very fat & never had there heads out of the dishes ..   The se

you canr beat fresh rabbit or any fresh carcase for ferrets i can notice the diffrence between a whole carxcase ferret and one thats on the dried slops , went to a pestcontrolers was embaresd at lack of build around shoul;ders with dreid slops, were ones that exersise chewing there food and useing muscle big diffrence ,going try dreid slops this year maybe do an experiment see how they fair whole carcase and dried slops

you canr beat fresh rabbit or any fresh carcase for ferrets i can notice the diffrence between a whole carxcase ferret and one thats on the dried slops , went to a pestcontrolers was embaresd at lack of build around shoul;ders with dreid slops, were ones that exersise chewing there food and useing muscle big diffrence ,going try dreid slops this year maybe do an experiment see how they fair whole carcase and dried slops

These required proteins% that are being quoted :hmm: How do stoats and weasels etc in the wild manage? Venison is 34% protein and 6.5% fat but cant see them being on the menu,rabbit 27% and 8% fat,Pigeon 13% protein and 13.5% fat which dont match up to what is being quoted as needed protein for ferrets?

Y.I.S Leeview

Stoats and weasels are part of the Mustelidae family, as are otters/badgers/martens/polecats/minks & black footed ferrets and of course our domesticated ferrets, even mongoose and meercats are related. (other species may also be included!)

Point is, the dietary requirements of each species (although related) may be different. Many professionals agree that 'raw meat' diets for ferrets need supplementation. Considering the ferrets you have in your ownership now are 'domesticated' ferrets, in the sense that ferrets have been domesticated for around 2000 years now, they do not have a 'natural diet'.

It is therefore inappropriate to compare the diet of non-domesticated mustelidae members to domestictated ferrets. You may see your ferrets as natural hunters, which they are, but their dietary requirements have been altered through centuries of keeping them as domesticated working animals.

BTW, not a weirdo on the internet at night, just waiting on collection to help treat a RTA horse!

Aye they have been domesticated for around 200 years, and how long has dried ferret food been available? You can supplement your ferrets diet with NATURAL stuff, fish, veg, egg, soya milk, varied meat, game, poultry etc. They were fed on bread and milk for longer than they have been fed dried food. And anyhow i'd be interested in how keeping them in runs for 2000 years, feeding them rabbits and hunting rabbits with them has altered their dietry requirements so that they need dried magic food?

Exactly dry foods was in its infancy with as far as i know one brand when i first got a ferret around 20 yrs ago.. i certainly dont recall peoples ferrets dropping like flies due to a lack of dry food

conditions such as adrenal & insulinoma are '' modern lifestyle'' conditions because people treat them in the case of insulinoma like kids & have to offer '' sweeties''

I know my animals in general are better on a raw meat diet i have no need to add any extras.. i may not work either but i still dont feel the need to feed them potions & hand out treats

Y.I.S Leeview

Ferrets were domesitcated due to the fact they are natural hunters, same as dogs. They made catching rabbits to put on the plate much easier. Seeing as there was plenty of rabbit, may as well feed the ferrets on it too. Convenient and easy. No proof whatsoever that ferrets lived soley on rabbits when they were originally wild.

As obligate carnivores, bread, soya milk and veg has no nutritional value to ferrets at all, (apart from veg/cereals acting a roughage and some essential vits and fatty acids from soya). When fed bread and milk , it was cheap and easy, meant humans kept all the meat for themselves and the ferrets hungry for a proper meal on their next hunting trip.

Over centuries of domestication, selective breeding, and being fed what humans saw fit at the time, dietary requirements will have of course altered, that is as simple as evolution. Same as humans have evolved over the last few centuries due to lifestyle and diet changes.

In the last 2000 years, human intelligence and scientific research has advanced beyond recognition. Therefore, people much more intelligent than you or I have studied, researched and recorded the dietary requirements of every domesticated species on the planet, including ferrets.

That's why species specific dried food is available. Of course there is nothing wrong with feeding meat and supplementing with 'natural stuff', you can feed them how you see fit. Doesn't mean you are meeting their dietary requirements though, then again maybe you have it just right! :D

hi guy's and gal's,I cant belive this threads still going! Kay ,Ideation,Whin and Leeview you have hit the nail on the head in my opinion.

When I got my kits last year they had been fed dry food from day one so when I got them home in went a pigeon and they were desperate

for a proper feed and within a couple of days there condition had noticeably improved and ever since they've been on a whole carcass

diet.Dry and prosessed animal feeds are one of the biggest cons of all time.Ferret100 I dont think you can change the dietary requirments of a

species in couple of centuries look at all the different breed's of dog's they look different but there all the same on the inside mate

ATB Seany :thumbs:

Ferrets were domesitcated due to the fact they are natural hunters, same as dogs. They made catching rabbits to put on the plate much easier. Seeing as there was plenty of rabbit, may as well feed the ferrets on it too. Convenient and easy. No proof whatsoever that ferrets lived soley on rabbits when they were originally wild.

CAN I JUST POINT OUT THAT PRE-MIXI IN THE EARLY 1950's RABBITS WERE A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH A PRICE ON THEIR SCUTT,BUT FERRETS WERE FED ON AND SURVIVED ON A BREAD AND MILK DIET :thumbs:

As obligate carnivores, bread, soya milk and veg has no nutritional value to ferrets at all, (apart from veg/cereals acting a roughage and some essential vits and fatty acids from soya). When fed bread and milk , it was cheap and easy, meant humans kept all the meat for themselves and the ferrets hungry for a proper meal on their next hunting trip.

AS I SAID THE FERRETS NEVER GOT MEAT TO EAT SO WOULD NT RELATE RABBITS=MEALS

Over centuries of domestication, selective breeding, and being fed what humans saw fit at the time, dietary requirements will have of course altered, that is as simple as evolution. Same as humans have evolved over the last few centuries due to lifestyle and diet changes.

In the last 2000 years, human intelligence and scientific research has advanced beyond recognition. Therefore, people much more intelligent than you or I have studied, researched and recorded the dietary requirements of every domesticated species on the planet, including ferrets.

That's why species specific dried food is available. Of course there is nothing wrong with feeding meat and supplementing with 'natural stuff', you can feed them how you see fit. Doesn't mean you are meeting their dietary requirements though, then again maybe you have it just right! :D

:hmm: I DONT FEED DRIED FOOD AT ALL TO MY FERRETS AND I MYSELF DONT EAT CARDBOARD EITHER.

OLDER MEMBERS WILL BE FED UP WITH ME STATING "WHEN I SEE LIONS AND TIGERS IN PARKS BEING FED WITH SHOVEL LOADS OF DRY FOOD THEN I MAY CHANGE MY MIND AND BE CONVINCED THESE RESEARCHERS HAVE GOT IT RIGHT" TILL THEN I'LL CARRY ON WITH NATURAL MEAT

Y.I.S Leeview

hi guy's and gal's,I cant belive this threads still going! Kay ,Ideation,Whin and Leeview you have hit the nail on the head in my opinion.

When I got my kits last year they had been fed dry food from day one so when I got them home in went a pigeon and they were desperate

for a proper feed and within a couple of days there condition had noticeably improved and ever since they've been on a whole carcass

diet.Dry and prosessed animal feeds are one of the biggest cons of all time.Ferret100 I dont think you can change the dietary requirments of a

species in couple of centuries look at all the different breed's of dog's they look different but there all the same on the inside mate

My take on this whole dry ferret food thing is this.. it coincided with the '' pet ferret '' scene

Manufacturers of dry dog food saw an outlet mainly James well beloved in the early days .. they saw a niche in the market & filled it

It was designed for pet owners simple as .. the same as all this paste & ferretone stuff .. its all to get people to buy it.. stick a pic of a ferret on anything & people who pet there ferrets will naturally buy it

Couple that with the internet & ferrets appearing on tv primarily as a pet / companion animal rather than simply a working animal theres far more food now than ever before

What folks feed there ferret is there business but i am sick of reading that dry food is the only decent way to feed a ferret..

i can count on one hand the times i have visited a vet in the last 10 years with a ferret .. lost 1 ferret to cancer in 20 years .. there no other way i would feed my dogs or ferrets other than the raw meat way

its more prevelent in my dogs than anything.. there coats shine.. they dont have rank breath & they crap an absolute minimum

when i fed beta greyhound there was an overpowering smell in the house of what i can only describe as sulpha .. there teeth were covered in caked on food & both dogs farted :laugh:

There coats were full of dandruff & they were generally mankey looking dogs

the stench from 2 dogs by far out stank any 16 year old lads bedroom :laugh:

And before anyone sugests i am a tight arse .. why not buy decent dry food .. its costs me 4 quid a day alone in meat to feed the dogs & on top of that theres the cost for meat for ferrets... so its not a cheap option ... but the proof is in the pudding... my animals are way better on raw meat

fools the pair of them,,, this fella and the guy from the other day. feeding ferrets dry food is cruel and thers no place for it. give them a natural diet,,, not some bag of prossed plant matter .

Dried food can have it`s place in keeping ferrets.

I have used it for long enough to suppliment the meat diet that my ferrets have and they have always ben in great condition.

Whin,,, no need to experiment mate.,,, you know how good condition my ferrets are , and you know I use dried food.

I would never use dried only, but it has it`s place.

ATB

My take on this whole dry ferret food thing is this.. it coincided with the '' pet ferret '' scene

Manufacturers of dry dog food saw an outlet mainly James well beloved in the early days .. they saw a niche in the market & filled it

It was designed for pet owners simple as .. the same as all this paste & ferretone stuff .. its all to get people to buy it.. stick a pic of a ferret on anything & people who pet there ferrets will naturally buy it

Couple that with the internet & ferrets appearing on tv primarily as a pet / companion animal rather than simply a working animal theres far more food now than ever before

What folks feed there ferret is there business but i am sick of reading that dry food is the only decent way to feed a ferret..

i can count on one hand the times i have visited a vet in the last 10 years with a ferret .. lost 1 ferret to cancer in 20 years .. there no other way i would feed my dogs or ferrets other than the raw meat way

its more prevelent in my dogs than anything.. there coats shine.. they dont have rank breath & they crap an absolute minimum

when i fed beta greyhound there was an overpowering smell in the house of what i can only describe as sulpha .. there teeth were covered in caked on food & both dogs farted :laugh:

There coats were full of dandruff & they were generally mankey looking dogs

the stench from 2 dogs by far out stank any 16 year old lads bedroom :laugh:

And before anyone sugests i am a tight arse .. why not buy decent dry food .. its costs me 4 quid a day alone in meat to feed the dogs & on top of that theres the cost for meat for ferrets... so its not a cheap option ... but the proof is in the pudding... my animals are way better on raw meat

To true kay its all about money people can not belive it when you say you feed raw meat and veg to your dog ,there so conditioned to think a certain way

Its not a new concept either its the way its always been :thumbs:

Y.I.S Leeview

Its been a lot more than 2000 years as the Egyptians kept them in there grain stores to keep rats and mice away. I am pretty sure the did not get rabbits all the time as a food source. There is a place for dried food and you should not put it down so quickly. Ferrets get fat on dried food because they are receiving far too much. A set of scales is all you need and feed them 2 times a day.

Y.I.S Leeview

Its been a lot more than 2000 years as the Egyptians kept them in there grain stores to keep rats and mice away. I am pretty sure the did not get rabbits all the time as a food source. There is a place for dried food and you should not put it down so quickly. Ferrets get fat on dried food because they are receiving far too much. A set of scales is all you need and feed them 2 times a day.

if folks want to feed all dry food that fine.. what i am sick of is a few folks suggesting that if you dont feed dry food, your ferrets are in some way lacking in all there dietary requirements