ferrets and protein needs

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whatever you may THINK, you yourself said it, ferrets are obligate carnivores, they must eat the flesh of other animals in order to survive, so as such, the best diet is one that is made up of mixed w

Cant realy see the need for it all myself mate....I have kept ferrets for over 25 years and always fed them on game wether it be rabbit,pidgeon,pheasant or what ever i can get my hands on all winter a

Theres obviously a market for processed food .. one reason I stopped feeding it is the general health of the ferrets .. they became very fat & never had there heads out of the dishes ..   The se

If there's one good thing about this forum it's the fact that,-

messers and self proclaimed know it alls, will be found out and shown up for what they are.:laugh:

Looks like we have a top grade one here.:wallbash::laugh:

These required proteins% that are being quoted :hmm: How do stoats and weasels etc in the wild manage? Venison is 34% protein and 6.5% fat but cant see them being on the menu,rabbit 27% and 8% fat,Pigeon 13% protein and 13.5% fat which dont match up to what is being quoted as needed protein for ferrets?

Y.I.S Leeview

These required proteins% that are being quoted :hmm: How do stoats and weasels etc in the wild manage? Venison is 34% protein and 6.5% fat but cant see them being on the menu,rabbit 27% and 8% fat,Pigeon 13% protein and 13.5% fat which dont match up to what is being quoted as needed protein for ferrets?

Y.I.S Leeview

A very interesting bit of info there leeview ,

Y.I.S Leeview

I got a ferret here that will do reds single handed. FACT. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Y.I.S Leeview

I got a ferret here that will do reds single handed. FACT. :thumbs:

Stop telling lies baa baa

The problem with packet food & the percentages of protein listed as eg 38% crude protein is thats not just the protein derived from the meat content.. its the protein derived from everything in the bag that contains any protein .. eg grain & plant matter

so the exact amount of '' meat protein '' is very probably a lot less that the 38% it boats on the packet

I will stick to feeding meat .. that is :yes: exactly what it says on the packet :laugh:

for all lads that are unsure about protein in ferrets i will help you on the right way forward first of all is cat and dog food is a never because of the low protein content in it .ferrets need a min of 34 persent protein never lower because of they have a every short digesive tract so high levels of protein is needed to give them the energy levels they need .vitalin is by far the highist at 40 persent then james welbeloved at 36 persent and also alpha is at 36 persent.meat is good to but gos off in the summer mths and is not good for the kits to eat bad meat

mate no harm till you but you talk the biggest load of balls ive ever heard :doh:

for all lads that are unsure about protein in ferrets i will help you on the right way forward first of all is cat and dog food is a never because of the low protein content in it .ferrets need a min of 34 persent protein never lower because of they have a every short digesive tract so high levels of protein is needed to give them the energy levels they need .vitalin is by far the highist at 40 persent then james welbeloved at 36 persent and also alpha is at 36 persent.meat is good to but gos off in the summer mths and is not good for the kits to eat bad meat

james wellbeloved...have you seen the price of that stuff :icon_eek:.

There has been some interesting info on this thread and i shall be feeding meat where ever possible from now on

• 2 weeks later...

Y.I.S Leeview

Stoats and weasels are part of the Mustelidae family, as are otters/badgers/martens/polecats/minks & black footed ferrets and of course our domesticated ferrets, even mongoose and meercats are related. (other species may also be included!)

Point is, the dietary requirements of each species (although related) may be different. Many professionals agree that 'raw meat' diets for domesticated ferrets need supplementation. Considering the ferrets you have in your ownership now are 'domesticated' ferrets, in the sense that ferrets have been domesticated for around 2000 years now, they do not have a 'natural diet'.

It is therefore inappropriate to compare the diet of non-domesticated mustelidae members to domestictated ferrets. You may see your ferrets as natural hunters, which they are, but their dietary requirements have been altered through centuries of keeping them as domesticated working animals.

Not picking a fight, I'd be happy to hear you opinion.

BTW, not a weirdo on the internet at night, just waiting on collection to help treat a RTA horse!

Edited by ferret100